Annoying bug (Community)

Annoying bug // Community

1  |

wing

Aug 20, 2001, 7:01pm
I'm just posting this to see how many others are having this problem. When I exit aworld.exe, I'm given an illegal operation. It
only happens after aworld has been in use for awhile. Occasionally, it kills the property cache for whatever world I was in, and
gets to be a real PAIN through that.

eep

Aug 20, 2001, 7:22pm
While I don't illegal operations after exiting, I notice my system becomes unstable after a long time with AW and other apps (like ACDSee, Netscape Communicator 4.77, UltraEdit, and ZipTools (Windows Explorer replacement) in the background. Sometimes I'll get odd messages about DLLs/OCXs not being registered properly or loaded, file icons get changed, or Windows will just hang altogether (though that's rare). I have 256MB RAM and it's never depleted whenever these problems occur, either, so I doubt it's lack-of-memory related.

AW will sometimes lose the current world's cell data or some objects or the backdrop (had that happen today) may be missing. I have 32MB video RAM so that shouldn't be an issue either.

[View Quote] > I'm just posting this to see how many others are having this problem. When I exit aworld.exe, I'm given an illegal operation. It
> only happens after aworld has been in use for awhile. Occasionally, it kills the property cache for whatever world I was in, and
> gets to be a real PAIN through that.

sw comit

Aug 21, 2001, 3:13am
Wing, I noticed this always happens if you've seen a create noise _____.mid
in that session before you log out.

[View Quote]

billybob

Mar 8, 2002, 3:24am
This is no offense to the maker of ActiveWorlds, it is a good peice of
software, and no remake has been completed YET. It's one in a million. But
besides that it has SERIUOS memory problems. I don't get illegal ops
anymore, but ALL of my icons get switched around. It starts accessing memory
it shouldn't. My friend has to format his comp every couple of months
because of AW's problems. I don't think it's becuase AW has memory leaks,
but rather it trys to use other app's memory, heh, which i guess avoids
memory leaks for IT, hehe. My gut feeling is that it's teleporting cache.
You know how you can go back and forward with your teleports. I don't know,
i just think that is probably what it is. That would explain why it only
dies when AW has been running for awhile....cause the teleport list just
keeps growing. Handling the mass amount of object info has GOT to be a
painful task too. Anyway, that is just all that i think.

dion

Mar 8, 2002, 12:56pm
Nah, because people like me stay on ActiveWorlds for 6 or 8 hours at a time
and have no problems at all. and I'm a multi-tasking nutcase. If any memory
problems were to happen, I'd probably be the one to get the bulk of it :-P
[View Quote]

dotar sojat

Mar 8, 2002, 3:08pm
Actually the switching around of icons is a virius. You may need to get your
drive scanned. I had that same virius hit me a while back. It don't do a
whole heck of a lot, but it is annoying.
Try here...
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

[View Quote]

shorah

Mar 10, 2002, 5:58am
This problem was isolated by running Windows XP on a clean test environment
with Active Worlds 3.2. After about 4 hours, AW accessed memory areas that
were not related to the application causing a range of unusual problems. A
few of the problems that occur are icon swapping with other active
applications with shortcuts, DirectX illegal accesses, and corruption to
chat.txt. The chat log file can commonly capture memory dumps during a fault
as in the following example directly from a chat log file:

*áØÿÿÿL o w B a t t e r y A l a r m ÿÿÿnk àÛþíGÁ H
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ È  ÿÿÿÿ  $ èZ¿ DeviceDisconnectØÿÿÿD e v i
c e D i s c o n n e c t Øÿÿÿvk " È   K DispFileNamen t Øÿÿÿ at m m
s y s . c p l , - 5 8 2 9 l ÿÿÿnk àÛþíGÁ H ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
 ÿÿÿÿ  2
DeviceFail èÿÿÿvk 2 h
 ,áÈÿÿÿD e v i c e F a i l e d t o C o n n e c t ,áØÿÿÿvk "
  s DispFileNamea g Øÿÿÿ at

That exerpt seems to be related to the memory field of explorer.exe in
regards to the Power Options control panel. Another:

. " " T - ~  > o ¡ Y ¥ £ ¤ © §
« ! ¯ ­ ® ³ ± ² · µ ¶ » ¹ º ¿ ½ ¾ Ã
Â Ç Å Æ $ 1 2 m j k # 9 : G J K " [ \
$ 2 3 # : ; G K L " \ ] $ 0 1 # ; < G
L M " ] ^ $ / 0 # < = G M N " ^ _ $ .
/ # = > G N O " _ ` $ - . # > ? G O P
" ` a $ , - # ? at G P Q " a b $ + , #
at A G Q R " b c $ * + # A B G R S " c
d $ ) * # B C G S T " d e $ ( ) # C D
G T U " e f $ ' ( # D E G U V " f g $
& ' # E F X G V " g h $ % & # 6 7 " h
i ÿ  ÿÿ  ( ÿÿ

Not quite sure what that could be from, but it was repeated several times.
Of note is the "hi" near the bottom of the line.

Roland was able to confirm that these lines were not from Active Worlds, but
of other applications' memory fields that it was accessing at the time of
writing to the file. The memory data was written instead of the chat when a
crash was initiated during the write. I'll be concluding testing soon and
send a complete report to Roland for analysis ;-)

Shorah
115213

shorah

Mar 10, 2002, 5:59am
I wouldn't suggest telling people that AW is a virus.

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

dzap

Mar 10, 2002, 6:20am
"shorah" <shorah at outerworlds.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:3c8b1239$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> This problem was isolated by running Windows XP on a clean test
environment
> with Active Worlds 3.2. After about 4 hours, AW accessed memory areas
that
> were not related to the application causing a range of unusual
problems. A
> few of the problems that occur are icon swapping with other active
> applications with shortcuts, DirectX illegal accesses, and corruption
> chat.txt. The chat log file can commonly capture memory dumps during a
fault

After being used for some time the harddisk is not filled with zeros but
with previously deleted content. If a program crashes with open files
those files will not have a proper file ending and will often show bits
from what is left in the last cluster. This has nothing to do with what
the program was doing when it crashed.

Jonas aka dZap

Now for some reason I know this is going to appear to some people that AW is
"spying". *rolls eyes* But we know otherwise.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 10, 2002, 3:49pm
I am running Windows XP Professionaly with ActiveWorlds 3.2 and my
ActiveWorlds runs almost 24/7. Usually about 10 - 16hrs a day. I am
constantly multi-tasking and it's not uncommon for me to have 20 or more
programs running. I have not experienced any extra slowdown caused by
ActiveWorlds nor have I ever had any problems with memory.

dotar sojat

Mar 10, 2002, 5:22pm
I did not tell people that AW was a virius please do nto put words in my
mouth. There is a coomon virius out there that does icon swapping as well
and since I have never run XO I had no idea AW did this under that
environment as well.

how much RAM do you have?

SW Chris

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 10, 2002, 8:29pm
256

Hmm... one of my system tray programs must have had a memory leak, because I
never got that kind of performance out of my RAM. I had 256 also.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 11, 2002, 9:52pm
right now i have 26 programs open, including winamp (which is playing) and
activeworlds 3.2
Of course, about 10 of these programs are hidden on most windows machines,
but not on WindowsXP ;-)

you got the super-expensive RAM, didn't you?

SW Chris