New Activeworlds Webring (Community)

New Activeworlds Webring // Community

1  |

facter facter@awsupport

Jul 25, 2001, 3:45pm
There were alot of problems with the old webring and the transition to the
new yahoo site, so we created a new one on there, this is now the official
webring.

Anyone wishing to join can do so at

http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=activeworlds

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
Activeworlds.com
support at activeworlds.com

facter facter@awsupport

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01C1151B.074BE840

1) What happens to URLs aimed at the old WebRing. Are they (will they =
be) still valid? Can one still use the old Ring etc...?=20

Its going to be disabled soon.

2) What if one doesn't wish to 'join' Yahoo... Seems you have to be a =
member of Yahoo to get any further... Is there a way to go right to the =
AW Ring without having to 'bend over' for Yahoo... :-) (I get enuf' crap =
from Sites without adding Yahoo to the list... Don't kid yourself... I =
give it 2 days before you start getting Adverts from the Yahoo =
Servers...)=20

Yahoo wont send you advertisements, I've used yahoo and yahoogroups =
for quite some time. Unfortunatly, there is no way to join the web ring =
without joining yahoo, and there are no other webrings around that are =
stable enough that we would join...

F.

Inquiring minds wish to know...=20

[View Quote] There were alot of problems with the old webring and the transition =
to the=20
new yahoo site, so we created a new one on there, this is now the =
official=20
webring.=20
Anyone wishing to join can do so at=20

http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=3Dactiveworlds=20

--=20
Fletcher Anderson=20
Active Worlds Support=20
Activeworlds.com=20
support at activeworlds.com

--=20
Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi"=20
"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."=20
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html=20
http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html=20
ICQ UN - 272905=20
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01C1151B.074BE840

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<P>1) What happens to URLs aimed at the old WebRing. Are they (will =
they be)=20
still valid? Can one still use the old Ring etc...?=20
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Its going to be disabled soon.</FONT>
<P>2) What if one doesn't wish to 'join' Yahoo... Seems you have to be =
a=20
member of Yahoo to get any further... Is there a way to go right to =
the AW=20
Ring without having to 'bend over' for Yahoo... :-) (I get enuf' crap =
from=20
Sites without adding Yahoo to the list... Don't kid yourself... I give =
it 2=20
days before you start getting Adverts from the Yahoo Servers...)=20
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yahoo wont send you advertisements, =
I've used yahoo=20
and yahoogroups for quite some time. Unfortunatly, there is no way to =
join the=20
web ring without joining yahoo, and there are no other webrings around =
that=20
are stable enough that we would join...</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>F.</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;
<P>Inquiring minds wish to know...=20
[View Quote] <P>-- <BR>Fletcher Anderson <BR>Active Worlds Support =
<BR>Activeworlds.com=20
<BR>support at activeworlds.com</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>-- <BR>Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi" =
<BR>"Eat=20
well, stay fit, die anyway." <BR><A=20
=
href=3D"http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html">http://www3.sk.sympat=
ico.ca/ty1/index.html</A>=20
<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html">http://www.dlcwest.co=
m/~rpatter/index.html</A>=20
<BR>ICQ UN - 272905 <BR>All those who believe in psychokinesis raise =
my hand.=20
<BR>&nbsp; </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01C1151B.074BE840--

the nav bar makes my page not validate as valid HTML 4.0, so I'm not gonna
have it there... is there some kind of alternative?

j b e l l

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C11516.F77FDBA0

nope.. yahoo bought webring.. so now they are all yahoo webrings.. just =
like how yahoo bought e-groups.. and a whole lot of other companies.. =
i've always hated yahoo.. and now i hate them even more for taking good =
services and making them crap!

[View Quote] 2) What if one doesn't wish to 'join' Yahoo... Seems you have to be a =

support at activeworlds.com

--=20
Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi"=20
"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."=20
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html=20
http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html=20
ICQ UN - 272905=20
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C11516.F77FDBA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>nope.. yahoo bought webring.. so now =
they are all=20
yahoo webrings.. just like how yahoo bought e-groups.. and a whole lot =
of other=20
companies.. i've always hated yahoo.. and now i hate them even more for =
taking=20
good services and making them crap!</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"tyrell" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca">tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3B5F14F4.B8018B2C at sk.sympatico.ca">news:3B5F14F4.B8018B2C at sk=
..sympatico.ca</A>...</DIV>Hmmm...=20
Two questions...=20
[...]

m a r c u s

Jul 25, 2001, 8:33pm
I HIGHLY suggest you use something else besides Yahoo for a webring. I use
bravenet.com, but I know that isn't that great either. However, at least
you don't have to be a member.

[View Quote]

percipient

Jul 25, 2001, 8:55pm
You could set up your own webring on your own server. It's just a CGI
script, and there are several of them available for free or cheap.

[View Quote] [View Quote]

m a r c u s

Jul 25, 2001, 9:30pm
That is probably the best way to go.

[View Quote]

jerme

Jul 26, 2001, 3:28am
Factor,
You know... Before you go off and make us start signing up for Yahoo
accounts... You could try asking arround about it a little. Maby this wasn't
totally your decision. But AWCI needs to know that there are plenty of
talented people out there. Many of whom (including me), I'm sure would help
write a coustomized CGI script to run on AW's servers. You could, as
"percipient" stated, look for a free script. This would be better overall
for the webring, as AWCI could directly control all aspects of the
operation, and you have a group of people who could update/modify the script
as need be. Just try asking for stuff, and you'll probably come out with
better results.....

-JerMe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Comming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[View Quote]

karhsi

Jul 26, 2001, 5:17am
I'm not getting this...
What's the difference between the new webring and the old one?
Old one: http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=awcof
New: http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=activeworlds
They're both on Yahoo.
The old one had 143 sites in the list.
Why change something that worked just fine?

-Karhsi.

facter <"Facter at AWsupport"> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3b5f05ca$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> There were alot of problems with the old webring and the transition to the
> new yahoo site, so we created a new one on there, this is now the official
> webring.
>
> Anyone wishing to join can do so at
>
> http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=activeworlds
>
> --
> Fletcher Anderson
> Active Worlds Support
> Activeworlds.com
> support at activeworlds.com

nornny

Jul 26, 2001, 11:34am
120 of those 143 sites are outdated, broken, nonexistent, etc. :) And we're
not really Circle of Fire anymore either. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

facter facter@awsupport

Jul 26, 2001, 12:05pm
It is all my decision.

I dont ahve time to do anything else, yahoogroups is the easiest way to go
about it, so I jsut put it up on there, I'm sorry if no one likes it but
well, you dont really have to join it, its up to you.

If someone wants to write a script, then sure, go head and do it, and mail
it to me, and I will upload it - but if it requires any more work than jsut
uploading it, it wont happen, because in all honesty, the webring isnt
really a priority at the moment and I dont have the time to work on anything
extraneous.

But for now, the yahoo ring is it, sorry, it was either jsut throw that up
or kill the webring thing entirely, as its not a huge priority at the
moment.

F.

[View Quote]

facter facter@awsupport

Jul 26, 2001, 12:06pm
When it moved fromt he old company to webring, they lost all of the contact
information for us, and we have tried unsuccessfully for the past year or so
to get admin access to it again, so, we started fresh.

F.

[View Quote]

icey

Jul 26, 2001, 2:45pm
Yes, I am with you
icey

[View Quote] > That is probably the best way to go.

[View Quote]

chucks party

Jul 26, 2001, 8:00pm
Yes you do what you have to do to make it work and it's too bad they wouldn't be
more cooperative with you, but possibly having it on your own server would save
you alot of the problems you had in the past, lol Try to work with someone to
make that happen, you've put the call out. :)