[Fwd: Re: Off Topic stuff] (Community)

[Fwd: Re: Off Topic stuff] // Community

1  |

eep

Jun 6, 2001, 12:12pm
Nor does it revolve around off-topic posters like yourself. Go to another forum if you want to act like an immature idiot. Persist in posting off-topic here and acting lame and I'll simply persist in bashing you more and more. It's that simple; do the math. There are PLENTY of other non-AW newsgroups to post about anything you want. Don't do it in AW's newsgroups.

Most ISPs and email providers have TOSes (that's terms of service in case you're too clueless to ever read them) that explicitly state that you are NOT to post off-topic in newsgroups and that you are to abide by the newsgroup's charter (if any). Failure to do so could be grounds for your account being removed.

news://news.activeworlds.com/3a8570b7%241%40server1.Activeworlds.com for the charter.

Newsgroups: community
Subject: Off Topic stuff
From: "avenger" <snipa2k at hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:28:43 -0400

Good God you are some strange people, i put a little post for a little bit
of humor, and it seems that the first 8 people who read it, actually got
it...then you got eep, who completly flips...eep, if you dont like the
thread...GO READ ANOTHER ONE!!!! for people who actually have a sence of
humor, let them read the thread...I hate people who alwase try to go by the
rules for everything...just try to have alittle bit of fun..now i all of a
sudden realise for the 2 years ive had aw, ive only posted on this board
like 3 times...oh oops, this thread is "off topic"...here comes
eep......................

Newsgroups: community
Subject: Re: Off Topic stuff
From: "avenger" <snipa2k at hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:55:06 -0400

Oh, also eep, as i read through all of your old posts, it seems that YOU are
the one who is more off topic that all of us, since all you do is post crude
messages of how dumb people are...OPEN YOUR EYES DUMBASS this board does nor
revolve around you

icey

Jun 6, 2001, 12:46pm
You should print it and read it more carefully before answering

there IS a partial moderator... Facter seems to be one of the most awake
AWCI employees, he actually reads this NG and does a *FEW* corrections,
deletions, etc now and then...

Umm... did you bother to follow the link that Eep posted? It's all right there in
plain text...

[View Quote] --
Goober King
You show it to them, and they still don't get it...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

icey

Jun 6, 2001, 2:11pm
....yes even eep himself din't get it

[View Quote]

builderz

Jun 6, 2001, 2:58pm
There IS a way to correct posts, by canceling them and re-posting them
with the intended corrections. Unfortunately, since I don't use
Microsoft Outlook (your newsreader), all I can suggest is to search for
"canceling messages" in Outlook's help system to learn how to do it (or
maybe a kind user that does use MS Outlook will post how to do it in
this thread).

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://www.stuffx.com/aw/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

syli

Jun 6, 2001, 3:23pm
I followed the link....work with me here.....1st paragraph states it is not
the intent to or purpose of this ng to disregard the rights and feelings of
others so to avoid problems from start.......goes on to explain the set up
so all understand (Seems they want us to regard the rights and feelings of
each other as much as they want us to stay on topic) Also goes on to say it
is for free exchange of info & opinions on awculture, language, history,
economics, science and OTHER topics related to AW.....Posts appropriate BUT
not restricted to....ALL aspects of AW, etc.
Also says it is for anyone who is interested in AW AND who can follow usenet
netiquette...on and on......

Maybe we have a problem with the charter itself ...it is very broad in
places. Seems we are getting as many interpretions as there are ppl reading
it. To quote myself earlier:

"frankly im confused what this newsgroup REALLY is. Is it the Do As I Say
Not As I do Hypocrites group? Cuz quite often I notice the very ppl
pointing fingers and offering
instruction need to maybe back away from the mouse and look in the mirror
more often than their screen once in awhile. Is it the "Audition to Replace
Ann Robinson on The Weakest Link" group?? cuz you guys are Gooood!!! ya got
the insult thing down to a science!! or maybe its the "Let's Bash Each
Other To a Pulp cuz That's Entertainment Folks" group? Yea...thats gotta be
the one. Either that or the " Bow to me Oh Newbie" group....its a toss up.
It's not a NEWSgroup....I have learned that much. Don't give me charters
or netiquette unless you can show me you drive it for a different reason
then some ppl drive Lamborghini's.

~Syli~
Yes you did and you are right....I don't get it
[View Quote]

jfk2

Jun 6, 2001, 3:26pm
HEY EVERYONE... EEP dosen't know he is full of it... Yet he flies
off the handle all the time and never seems to go SPLAT? Why is that?

eep <eep at tnlc.com> wrote in <3B1E3A22.5B0F211F at tnlc.com>:

>Nor does it revolve around off-topic posters like yourself. Go to
>another forum if you want to act like an immature idiot. Persist in
>posting off-topic here and acting lame and I'll simply persist in
>bashing you more and more. It's that simple; do the math. There are
>PLENTY of other non-AW newsgroups to post about anything you want. Don't
>do it in AW's newsgroups.
>
>Most ISPs and email providers have TOSes (that's terms of service in
>case you're too clueless to ever read them) that explicitly state that
>you are NOT to post off-topic in newsgroups and that you are to abide by
>the newsgroup's charter (if any). Failure to do so could be grounds for
>your account being removed.
>
>news://news.activeworlds.com/3a8570b7%241%40server1.Activeworlds.com for
>the charter.
>
>Newsgroups: community
>Subject: Off Topic stuff
>From: "avenger" <snipa2k at hotmail.com>
>Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:28:43 -0400
>
>Good God you are some strange people, i put a little post for a little
>bit of humor, and it seems that the first 8 people who read it, actually
>got it...then you got eep, who completly flips...eep, if you dont like
>the thread...GO READ ANOTHER ONE!!!! for people who actually have a
>sence of humor, let them read the thread...I hate people who alwase try
>to go by the rules for everything...just try to have alittle bit of
>fun..now i all of a sudden realise for the 2 years ive had aw, ive only
>posted on this board like 3 times...oh oops, this thread is "off
>topic"...here comes eep......................
>
>Newsgroups: community
>Subject: Re: Off Topic stuff
>From: "avenger" <snipa2k at hotmail.com>
>Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:55:06 -0400
>
>Oh, also eep, as i read through all of your old posts, it seems that YOU
>are the one who is more off topic that all of us, since all you do is
>post crude messages of how dumb people are...OPEN YOUR EYES DUMBASS this
>board does nor revolve around you

You're causing more problems than you're correcting, eep.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

agent1

Jun 6, 2001, 7:00pm
If I'm familiar with NNTP, the news server has to allow users to cancel a message. I'm not sure this one does.

andras

Jun 6, 2001, 7:20pm
[View Quote] The news server CAN allow cancel.
Andras

I will agree that the charter is pretty vague as to what determines what is "related
to AW". Unfortunately, it's the only one we have at the moment...

Or is it? Here's an idea... why don't we make this a truly self-governing newsgroup?
Since there is no one specifically moderating this forum, (Facter hasn't the will to
do it, and Eep has no power) perhaps we, as a group of users should pen up our own
charter and all agree to abide by it. And, any changes that people feel should be
made to the charter can be put to a vote. (Just like how the original charter was
supposed to work, but never did) I'm sure Tony M would be glad to repost the new
charter every so often to remind everyone of the rules that we, as a community, all
agreed to follow.

Of course, the only problem with this scenario is how to enforce the rules we decide
on? Since the only one here who has any power to remove posts (Facter) doesn't want
to be moderator of this group, we would either have to find some other form of
"punishment" or get someone else from within AWCom to moderate. Perhaps putting in a
"if you break any of these rules, all other community members are free to flame you
until you learn." clause? :)

Thoughts? If enough people are hip to this idea, I might write up a rough draft for
you guys to tweak. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Taking matters into your own hands...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

icey

Jun 6, 2001, 7:29pm
Freeze!!!

[View Quote]

eep

Jun 6, 2001, 7:32pm
In Netscape Messenger it's done by either right-clicking the message and choosing "Cancel Message" or the Edit|Cancel Message menu.

[View Quote] > If I'm familiar with NNTP, the news server has to allow users to cancel a message. I'm not sure this one does.

Umm... ok, not sure how that was relevant... anyone *else* care to share their
thoughts? Preferably about the idea of a new charter?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
It's too hot to freeze...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

syli

Jun 6, 2001, 9:03pm
Well, it sounds good - on paper at least- and as a group effort it would
have to be time better spent than we do now even if it isn't implemented.
Hey, we might learn something in the process. It does seem though an
impossible task to get "everyone" to agree. Is "everyone" all those who
respond within a certain length of time to editing and final vote? Majority
rules? Those who have posted in the ng for a certain length of time? Only
newbies can vote???.(hehehe..kidding..don't want to give anyone a coronary).
You might even need ground rules just to participate in the process....such
as healthy debate is great - no personal attacking!.....if we survive the
process and get a finished product.....wow!

~Syli~
[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 6, 2001, 9:07pm
I don't think it will be necessary anymore. The moderators and the new
"general" newsgroup should take care of any problems that the community NG
has been faced with.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

[View Quote] <snip>

s p a r k

Jun 6, 2001, 10:01pm
WTF? He was being nice and telling people how, since I had NO clue how to,
it helped me, consider your self filtered!

[View Quote]

s p a r k

Jun 6, 2001, 10:06pm
sorry, I R Stupid >_<
I'm not thinking today, but your still filtered...

[View Quote]

nornny

Jun 7, 2001, 8:26am
Personally, I don't see the need for "enforcing" the charter, but rather
just knowing that it is there. If we can say it's against charter rules to
post something, these silly off topic posts won't come up anymore.

People are so insistent on posting something sometimes in here they seem to
forget what the "community newsgroup" is. They think community means sharing
your thoughts with the community or whatever, when it's really just a place
to announce events for the community, and discuss COMMUNITY topics, like 3.2
and how it will affect building, rather than how Eep affects your nervous
system.

I mean, the rest of the newsgroups are pretty sane, but their topics are
obvious in their charter. We should try to establish the same thing. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

jfk2

Jun 8, 2001, 12:18am
Goober... I see your good intentions... But they might be a waste
as you did give everyone a chance to TWEAK THEM...
And when people start to see what they once had was pretty much freedom
to say & do anything they wanted & now they are starting to see something
in real black & withe saying these are the new rules BUT please
TWEAK them a little... They [the people] here just might TWEAK it
right out the door to where we have the rules we have now.

goober king <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
<3B1E9F6F.7DA81483 at acsu.buffalo.edu>:

>I will agree that the charter is pretty vague as to what determines what
>is "related to AW". Unfortunately, it's the only one we have at the
>moment...
>
>Or is it? Here's an idea... why don't we make this a truly self-governing
>newsgroup? Since there is no one specifically moderating this forum,
>(Facter hasn't the will to do it, and Eep has no power) perhaps we, as a
>group of users should pen up our own charter and all agree to abide by it.
>And, any changes that people feel should be made to the charter can be put
>to a vote. (Just like how the original charter was supposed to work, but
>never did) I'm sure Tony M would be glad to repost the new charter every
>so often to remind everyone of the rules that we, as a community, all
>agreed to follow.
>
>Of course, the only problem with this scenario is how to enforce the rules
>we decide on? Since the only one here who has any power to remove posts
>(Facter) doesn't want to be moderator of this group, we would either have
>to find some other form of "punishment" or get someone else from within
>AWCom to moderate. Perhaps putting in a "if you break any of these rules,
>all other community members are free to flame you until you learn."
>clause? :)
>
>Thoughts? If enough people are hip to this idea, I might write up a rough
>draft for you guys to tweak. :)

In light of the new General NG that's being created, this is all pretty much moot at
this point. Still, the charter I was planning on drafting would have maintained
everyone's freedom of speech, and even allow for the occasional off-topic posts.
(sorry, Eep :P) And allowing people to offer corrections and suggestions would have
ensured that everyone would be satisfied (though not necessarily outright happy) with
the results.

But, as I said, once the General NG opens up, all the BS that's been clogging this NG
will simply dry up :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Well, at least we *hope* they'll dry up!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu