Need help (Community)

Need help // Community

1  |

wing

Mar 20, 2001, 9:24am
Don't kill me for this, I know it's offtopic.

But, whenever I try to move, rename, copy, delete, whatever a file, I get a
"File system error (1026)"
Yes I've rebooted, and programs can still work with files, but I can't.
Also, in the properties window, no file attributes are reported. Looks like
Windows bit the dust, but does anyone else have any ideas?

--------------E1FF8B0AC389A1084B3D846E

The trojan they describe there is mentioned quite often together with
the 1026 error you get :
- http://computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/6402.html
- http://www.backcountry.net/arch/chip/9812/msg02652.html

They describe a trojan that creates thousands of folders with weird
names

Microsofts declares it as a feature, but still the reason can be the
trojan :
- http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q180/6/80.asp
- http://www.csctexas.com/corner/10-15-99.htm

The 32Bit console file manager FAR cold help to remove the folders once
the trojan is eliminated (if that was the reason) :
- http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10096-100-2645325.html
--------------E1FF8B0AC389A1084B3D846E

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------E1FF8B0AC389A1084B3D846E--

rolu

Mar 20, 2001, 2:12pm
[View Quote] Ran scandisk (or equivalent)?
Ran defrag (or equivalent)?
Does it happen in every directory/disk, or only certain directories/one
disk?
In case you get the error in some directories/disks only, how many
files/directories are there in the directories that give you a problem?
Do you have fat16 or fat32?
How much free space do you have? :-)

Go to google (www.google.com) and search for "file system error (1026)", see
if something comes up. Good chance a bunch of people already encountered
this problem and put their solutions online.

rolu

jfk2

Mar 20, 2001, 4:49pm
Well.. Guess what... My nextdoor neighbor had that same problem
right around New Years day on his PC. I did all the standard tests.
Scandisk the drives & checked for surface scan... NOTHING Wrong.
And we thought there might be a virus since he didn't
do virus scanners...MS-Dos F-Prot Virus Scan. NOPE he was very lucky
there. WHAT our TECH friend discovered was his 1.6 gig hard drive...
It was trying to make it's new home somewhere in the south [DYING]
so you just might have to get yourself another hard drive.

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3ab73dee at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Don't kill me for this, I know it's offtopic.
>But, whenever I try to move, rename, copy, delete, whatever a file,
>I get a
>"File system error (1026)"
>Yes I've rebooted, and programs can still work with files,
>but I can't. Also, in the properties window, no file attributes
>are reported. Looks like Windows bit the dust, but does anyone
>else have any ideas?

datedman

Mar 20, 2001, 10:37pm
actually probly the best place to search is the knowledge base at
www.microsoft.com

[View Quote] [View Quote]

datedman

Mar 20, 2001, 10:41pm
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q208/0/82.ASP
I kina guessed what they would say...turn off the recycle bin :) You got too
many files! Most likely this is virus-related.

[View Quote] > Don't kill me for this, I know it's offtopic.

> But, whenever I try to move, rename, copy, delete, whatever a file, I get a
> "File system error (1026)"
> Yes I've rebooted, and programs can still work with files, but I can't.
> Also, in the properties window, no file attributes are reported. Looks like
> Windows bit the dust, but does anyone else have any ideas?

xelag

Mar 20, 2001, 11:52pm
is the virus called Microsoft?

--------------B22235A44F8DE5322712DE1A

You could be right - but :

- Virus programs are usually fast, compact and efficient.
- You don't need a licence certificate to legally own a virus.

[View Quote] begin:vcard
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------B22235A44F8DE5322712DE1A--

datedman

Mar 21, 2001, 6:16am
Microsoft just provides a fertile medium for them to grow. :)

[View Quote] > is the virus called Microsoft?

[View Quote]

who

Mar 21, 2001, 11:39am
[View Quote] Isn't that what they call a mutually exclusive statement? ;-)

--
Cheers,

Who

--------------AE3B8DB08D2215041B48B032

nope, that is the place where M$ collects the knowledge of all alpha
testers (us)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------AE3B8DB08D2215041B48B032--

wing

Mar 21, 2001, 6:12pm
Well, thanks for all the help. It went away. I don't know why or how. Cuz I
dunno either. Only reasonable explaination is that everything goes to hell
when I do anything related to school. 100% of all my equipment failures have
occured during homework. Maybe AMD added some AI functions to the Duron 700
but disabled them and they've come back to life after mad overclocking.

YES WING, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING

[View Quote]

rolu

Mar 21, 2001, 8:03pm
[View Quote] If they have something usefull in it, google will usually show it somewhere
in the first found links. Plus anything found outside the knowledge base.

rolu

j b e l l

Mar 22, 2001, 10:21pm
yes.. microsoft is the "peatry dish"