Help desperately needed (Community)

Help desperately needed // Community

1  |

myssie

Feb 12, 2001, 8:08am
I need help here. My PC mouse seems to keep sticking and it's only a couple
months old. I have cleaned it and it's spotless. Not a speck of dust in it.
I took the mouse out and replaced it with the one that came with the PC
after making sure it too was cleaned BUT that mouse is much worse. I then
took the new one back out and put the old one (the one I bought a copule
months ago) back in. I love this mouse and I'd be lost without it. Does
anyone know what the problem could be? I'll be lost without my PC here.
*sigh* I'm getting depressed here. :o(

anduin lothario

Feb 12, 2001, 9:22am
Hmm I'd say a hardware problem, but if not, get one of those Laser Mouses :)

--
AW Community Register
www.awcommunity.org/awcomreg

nova n@n.com

Feb 12, 2001, 10:28am
yeh her mouse could have one of the little sloted wheels tore loose.
I had that happen a few times if its only 2 month old id take it back and
get my money back.
And id get the ms intele mouse explorer with intele eye ive had mine over a
year still works great
[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 12, 2001, 10:35am
[View Quote] See my other post... the first time I opened a mouse there was so much dust
on the little cylinders I thought it was a layer used to give it more grip.
I cleaned everything but the cylinders, and it didn't work. Only when I
cleaned everything off the cylinders it worked good again.

Also, be sure to have a good mouse pad. Try out several of them, and also
several other surfaces. See what works best.

rolu

andras

Feb 12, 2001, 2:57pm
I propose to use Logitech MarbleMan - it doesn't uses any moving parts inside but an optical ball. No mousepad required either. I clean it only when I feel the ball is not running freely but even than the pointer moves nicely on the screen.

Of course you have to used to use <hmmm - is that a correct grammar?> a trackball :)

Andras

[View Quote]

xero

Feb 12, 2001, 6:51pm
I use a Logitech Cordless MouseMan FX, I love it! I suppose the marble man
is also great, logitech makes a good trackball.

--
-Xero

crazy glue il

Feb 12, 2001, 7:47pm
I can't stand the mouses like that, my thump gets tired and you cant move it
very fast. I have a Compaq that works really well, and the little wheel in
the middle is GREAT, hehehehe.

--
We all have atleast ONE crazything in us >:]
~Johnathon a.k.a CrAzY gLuE IL
crazyglue3 at hotmail.com
Idiots are plentiful these days, what would we do without them?
Geniuses are rare, but what would it be like without them?
That's is the question.
[View Quote]

myssie

Feb 12, 2001, 8:04pm
Thanks for your help everyone. Your in put is very much appreciated.
Unfortunately I won't have the money until next month to get a new mouse. I
did price them at Staples (stationery store) and the guy did try to see me a
ball less (no pun intended hehehehehehe) one but it was like $30.00 *gasp* I
don't have $30.00 to spend on something like that! I like to &%# at !^ at #
(CENSORED) my pants when I saw the price. *sigh* If I wasn't so hooked on
this stupid machine, I'd give it up in a heartbeat!
I cleaned the wheels, I cleaned the mouse pad, I even put a brand spanking
new mouse pad here but I get the same results. The mouse pad I had until
lastnight was vinyl topped. This one is material topped. I'm still thinking
of introducing my PC to my hammer tho *chuckle*

But seriously, thank you all for your help and suggestions, I will see what
I can do next month to get a new one! *sigh* This is sooooooo depressing.
it's hard to build in AW with this mouse the way it's acting up too :o(

xero

Feb 12, 2001, 8:07pm
Uh, not my trackball do you use your thumb, I hate thumb balls too, mine you
use your finger and click buttons with your thumb lol..

--
-Xero

captain mad mike

Feb 12, 2001, 9:09pm
Bah get a trackball if anything. I have this nice one from logitech, I
beleive its opitical. Very comfy and it has a scroll wheel. And besides,
trackballs are better on your wrist. It's only about $30.

[View Quote]

fyrene

Feb 13, 2001, 1:30am
Ummm, are you using browser AW 3.0?? Wasnt there something mentioned about
not using the animated pointers etc?? I had to change mine to the dreary
nonanimated ones and my mouse worked fine after that.

Fyrene

casay

Feb 13, 2001, 4:03am
Did you ever check for a new driver for your mouse just in case?
Casay

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------6662215F239A14725DC9BDD4

Someone already told about opening the mouse - the two wheels or
cylinders that touch the ball (not the diagonal one) - do they move the
mouse cursor when you scroll them with your finger? If they do maybe the
mouse ball came in touch with oil or fat and you can clean the ball with
few drops of dishwashing fluid in water.
Another thing that makes a mouse work much better is a mousepad with
textile surface instead of plastics.

If only one of the 2 wheels/cylinders make the mouse cursor move you can
check, if the wheels inside the mouse belly are clean. The wheels are
disks with holes in them and used for a fork-like LED thing (english
word unknown to me) and if the holes are stuffed with dustballs that
hinders the light that goes from the LED to the transistor on the
opposite side of the fork. As most of the "fork-like things" work with
infrared LEDs these things are not necessarily damaged if you don't see
light.

Another thing to check if it's a 95/98 : Sometimes windows recognizes
new hardware and installs the driver without asking. If that happened
you might have 2 mouse drivers installed. You can check that in your
device manager.

If it isn't a PS2 but a serial mouse software accessing the serial port
could disturb the mouse.

You can try to use the other PS2 (if your PC has two of them) or the
other serial port (will need an adapter 25/9) or - if it is a PS2 - use
an adapter to connect the mouse to the serial port.

Another possible reason : some laptops don't like to have the touchpad
AND the external mouse enabled (disable touch pad in this case) and some
have trouble with certain connectors that connect both external keyboard
and external mouse to one PS2 port. In this case the Y-connector has 2
keyboards or 2 mice symbols printed onto the plugs that lead to
mouse/keyboard. Especially some old IBM laptops have trouble with that
rubber mouse replacement thing together with an external mouse when a
dos box is open.

Everything just rough guesses but things to check or try

myssie schrieb:

> I need help here. My PC mouse seems to keep sticking and it's only a couple
> months old. I have cleaned it and it's spotless. Not a speck of dust in it.
> I took the mouse out and replaced it with the one that came with the PC
> after making sure it too was cleaned BUT that mouse is much worse. I then
> took the new one back out and put the old one (the one I bought a copule
> months ago) back in. I love this mouse and I'd be lost without it. Does
> anyone know what the problem could be? I'll be lost without my PC here.
> *sigh* I'm getting depressed here. :o(
--------------6662215F239A14725DC9BDD4

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------6662215F239A14725DC9BDD4--

andras

Feb 16, 2001, 9:31pm
Slight corrections:
1, Use your vac to such the debris out of the mouse
2, DON'T use water/solvents but pure alcohol (rubbing alcohol is fine) to clean the tiny cylinders :)
Andras

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------C0A1C34772CA6D9037D6E716

lol - I didn't say drown the poor mouse - just the ball with water

And the vac might not help with the wheel if you smoke in the room where
the mouse lives - dust balls can sticks to it quite hard

(just to make it clear : no real animals will be harmed here)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------C0A1C34772CA6D9037D6E716--