Microsoft making a pop-up blocking IE next year (General Discussion)

Microsoft making a pop-up blocking IE next year // General Discussion

1  |

alexthemartian

Nov 25, 2003, 12:08am
it is like 2 weeks old news.. but if ya havent heard it.. "Microsoft plans
to add pop-up blocking features to Internet Explorer next year as part of
its Service Pack 2 update for Windows XP"

http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5105139.html

builderz

Nov 25, 2003, 1:20am
I mentioned this on another post. BTW, other Web browsers, such as
Mozilla, have had built-in pop-up blockers for a while.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > it is like 2 weeks old news.. but if ya havent heard it.. "Microsoft plans
> to add pop-up blocking features to Internet Explorer next year as part of
> its Service Pack 2 update for Windows XP"
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5105139.html

ferruccio

Nov 25, 2003, 2:26am
yeah but I am too lazy to get any of them :P

alexthemartian

Nov 25, 2003, 3:12am
Google Toolbar :D!!!!!
has one too

[View Quote]

builderz

Nov 25, 2003, 10:20am
Yes, some toolbars block pop-ups, too. If you need a FREE decent pop-up
blocker, go here: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > Google Toolbar :D!!!!!
> has one too

[View Quote]

john

Nov 25, 2003, 11:20am
GOOGLE TOOLBAR 2.0 OWNS U!

~John

[View Quote]

r i c h a r d

Nov 25, 2003, 3:49pm
But did you also hear microsoft's plans to only release new versions of
internet explorer with new versions of windows for example say IE7 is
released for Windows Elements or 7.1 or what ever you wont be able to
download 7 or 7.1 or which ever version it ends up having to use on XP and
previous versions of windows. Security patches will still be on windows
update but the main IE installer wont be avaliable

c p

Nov 25, 2003, 6:17pm
*slaps* SPYWARE. it even says it is when you download it

normal toolbar dosnt have it and dosnt block

but advanced send reports to google server and follows traffic
[View Quote]

neocube

Nov 25, 2003, 6:45pm
Mozilla... classic web browser... the best I must say :)

~neocube

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Nov 25, 2003, 10:55pm
like i care.. its will probably help google become a better search engine by
sending infomation back to them.. let them spy as much as they want... (and
by the way, if they explain they do it its not technicly 'spying')

and google is testing a new feature.. Google Compute "Google would like to
request your help with Google Compute, a new feature for the Google Toolbar.
By turning on this feature, you enable your computer to work on complex
problems when it would otherwise be idle. The work it does is automatically
sent via the Internet to researchers who combine it with information sent by
thousands of other users." basicly it works like Folding at home. but i
installed it and it did not even work.. so it has bugs

but google toolbar 2.0 rocks

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Nov 25, 2003, 10:56pm
ok make that: it is working with Folding at home

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Dec 1, 2003, 8:17pm
Another way for Microsoft to try and get you to upgrade. Even when TCPA
is in the law... yes even when it's illegal to create programs that
won't work on non-TCPA computers... I'll still have Windows Me and a
non-TCPA computer :¬P

[View Quote] > it is like 2 weeks old news.. but if ya havent heard it.. "Microsoft plans
> to add pop-up blocking features to Internet Explorer next year as part of
> its Service Pack 2 update for Windows XP"
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5105139.html

pc hamster

Dec 2, 2003, 2:51am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Ohh GREAT. Now Microshit will be selling Anti-Popup-Blocker utilities to
companies too which will practically make EVERY pop up blocking program out
there today TOTALLY USELESS.

Why do I say this? Because Microshit has probably figured out a common
characterisitic of the popup blockers that are out there and will soon roll
out an SDK to override the blocker(s) we currently use while AT THE SAME
TIME, they'll also roll out a popup blocker that will block ALL popup ads
which ARE NOT created using THEIR SDK.

Just when you thought Bill gates couldn't get anymore hypocritical.......

Cheers (or should I say JEERS in this post?) for now & Happy Holidays (? in
this post) :-/

PC Hamster
Mayor - City Of Hamsterville
Hamster Ground Zero Area - AW 5000N 272E
NEW WEBSITE - http://hamsterville.tripod.com/
pchamster at comcast.net
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

---

"rossyboy" <rossyboy at vwtv.org> wrote in
news:3fcbbde6$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Another way for Microsoft to try and get you to upgrade. Even when
> TCPA is in the law... yes even when it's illegal to create programs
> that won't work on non-TCPA computers... I'll still have Windows Me
> and a non-TCPA computer :¬P

The whole TCPA thing is likely to flop if you ask me. It's not a law
anyway, just a business alliance thing. Maybe we'll see some TCPA-
compatible products on the market, some people will buy it, but I doubt
it'll ever become a success.