Regarding GK's, PK's and The CommunitY (General Discussion)

Regarding GK's, PK's and The CommunitY // General Discussion

1  |

alphabit phalpha

Apr 23, 2003, 1:00pm
Hey Everyone:)

I've been following this thread and ones in the past regarding how PK's
and GK's handle situations.
I have been in both positions at one time or a few in the past, so I
feel I can speak from experiance:)
We all exist in AW in a virtual situation, however we are also real
people.
What I would like to request is that we all put this in a IRL situation.
When I did tech support in the Junodome for AWI, I always kept in mind
that I was working for a company and that everyone in AW was a Customer.
My approach as tech support/PS was always that of how I would treat
Customers were they in an IRL establishment I was working in.
My approach as a Customer was (nearly always:) that of a person in a
public atmosphere.
If you are on duty as a GK or PK please consider your position as a
community representative of AWI. Please ask yourself, "How would I handle
this situation if I was standing in this business's establishment?"
If you are a Customer, please consider yourself standing in an
establishment and ask yourself, "How would I conduct myself in public?"
From what I have read, there are things that need to be worked
on....from both sides:)
Well...that's my 2 cents worth:)

Hugggs:)
Bit:)

stecloud

Apr 23, 2003, 5:35pm
Wise words. Though most of iot common sense in my book. I don't mean to
sound like an arrogant, opinionated bastard. But people over the age of 18
should be able to tell context difference in nearl all cases in the english
language - especially since this is a program where you can actually *read*
whats being said.

Also, adults should realize that in positions of authority, you are nothing
without the 'people', and the 'people' don't like it when you call them
idiots.

- Ste

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 23, 2003, 6:27pm
Ahhhhh Stecloud.....your not ignorant:)....lol...j/k!:)
<snip>
.. I don't mean to
> sound like an arrogant, opinionated bastard.

rossyboy

Apr 23, 2003, 6:37pm
I think the main thing a GK needs to remember is that newbies don't know
the rules and *don't know that AWGate is only the smallest and most
censored part of AW.*

It's basically what you were saying Bit. If I went into a company's
headquarters and was just thrown out for some reason at the reception, I
most likely wouldn't come back. However if it was explained to me
beforehand that I had to wait until I was... further in the building? bad
example I know... I would be likely to come back later and explore some
more.

Whenever a GK warns and I'm at the gate I usually whisper to the offender
that there AWGate is only so strictly monitored because it is the
entrance world.

"alphabit phalpha" <alphabit at swbell.net> wrote this
(news:3ea6aa75$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 23
Apr 2003:

> Hey Everyone:)
>
> I've been following this thread and ones in the past regarding how
> PK's
> and GK's handle situations.
>
> Hugggs:)
> Bit:)

truetome2

Apr 24, 2003, 2:02pm
Thank you Bit you are right and that is exactly the way GK's are trained to
handle things. Granted it doesn't always happen but it is the way it is
suppose to be. As for the newbies coming in and being thrown out I have
never seen that, anyone who is ejected is suppose to be warned and warned
through whispers, so most of you do not know that a person has been warned.
I don't think anyone has ever came in said "hello I'm new" and been ejected.
We do try and put up the macro for gate being G rated so everyone knows but
IO also states that Gateway is G rated, plus mentions that they can say
"World Rules" for more info. This also states the G rating, and if someone
asks we tell them how to find the rules or give them a general idea of the
rules.
Rossyboy you said "It's basically what you were saying Bit. If I went into a
company's
headquarters and was just thrown out for some reason at the reception, I
most likely wouldn't come back. However if it was explained to me
beforehand that I had to wait until I was... further in the building? bad
example I know... I would be likely to come back later and explore some
more.

Well for what reason would you be thrown out? Did you walk in and say "hey I
need directions you fat red headed old hag" and get thrown out or did you
walk in and say "could you please help me" and get thrown out? This is where
the problem is and what is being worked on. We are all real people with
feelings and generally do not eject people for no good reason, we are here
to try and make new citizens, not run folks off from AW.

Oh saying that newbies don't know the rules is kind of crazy if your saying
they should not be ejected for doing wrong. When a new person downloads AW
for the first time....if they come right into gate and start disrupting
things, then that was their intention all along...it's the kind of person
they are. Most newbies come in and the first thing they say is "Hello I'm
new and can't see anything" that is when the GK comes into play and helps
the newbie. Usually by the time you have a newbie come to AWTeen or AWNewbie
they have already been through gate and have an idea of what will and won't
be allowed so unless they are looking for trouble you won't have the same
problems as we do in gate. But don't sit here and tell me you never eject or
never have trouble makers in those worlds. Because they are all through AW,
people who do nothing but start trouble because they enjoy it so much.

--
Sincerely,
TL-TrueToMe2

Please reply to TrueToMe2 at my.activeworlds.com

Quote for the day:
"For things to Change, you are going to have to Change,
Otherwise things will always remain like
they have always been"

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 24, 2003, 2:35pm
Hey...I have an idea!...as usual:)
Why not get AWCC set up in the gz area that will entice folks to congregate
there?
Heck...we could have any prop we possible could need...ie., picnic tables,
food etc etc.
With a "gathering" atmosphere I think that world could become a popular
place:)
I'll donate part of Cy corner if not all of it if the other 3 orgs can't
afford space.
Whatcha all think?:)
Send the new folks their and let the CommunitY assist them in learning.
It would take a load off the gate also.
I think most cits meet at the gate to meet new folks...well...heck...move
the nhew folks to AWCC!
It would be great starting point for them also since it hosts event
info...community locale info and the AW history...not to mention some Cy
stuff soon to change:)
Input appreciated on this topic.
Thanks!
Bit:)

truetome2

Apr 24, 2003, 5:04pm
Hey now I think that would be a great idea, some place with a few less rules
but still fun and then people can meet and chat all they want without the
fear of stepping across any boundaries. Plus it would free up gate to the
newbies and allow them a better chance at learning things the right way
without all the extra help some citizens think they are giving. Thanks Bit
let me know if I can help in anyway.

Hugz
True

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 24, 2003, 5:14pm
Well...AWCC is still a g rated world, but it would allow for the cits
hanging there to make things work:)
Tourists are allowed there already and there is a 500 user limit (I
believe).
So all that's left to do is set up an area with fun props and then get the
word out.
I started one corner of the Cys a while back...think I'll work on it some
more:)
What we could use right now is all of you folks offering some suggestions to
what might make some fun stuff around there....like a bbq...picnic
table...wading pool with fountain or whatever:)
I also whirled the idea around to have the area generic so during holidays
decorations could be put up easily and taken down.
We neeeed input pleeeease!:)

Wasn't that what WildAW was supposed to be for? :P

Wasting worlds
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

alphabit phalpha

Apr 24, 2003, 8:07pm
No no no...WildAW was for people that want to be wild...lol
This would be for people that want to congregate in a general area and meet
new folks and deal with the folks that need Netiquette lessons on their
own:)

It's a bit more moderated than WildAW.

SW City'll do some stuff I bet. :D

Chris

[View Quote]

elyk

Apr 24, 2003, 8:57pm
Hey wait a minute......they DID have a second world for that!!! What was it
called............oh yea......AW! But they made the mistake of making that
non-usable to tourists. Well.....live and learn. \;P
[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 24, 2003, 9:14pm
AW gz doesn't have things to play with there...lol
We need a place that's like irl where people would have things to do while
chatting...but not major things....just atmospheric stuff:)

[View Quote]

elyk

Apr 25, 2003, 1:37am
*G* You have a good idea there Bit ;o)

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 25, 2003, 12:27pm
Well then let's do it!:)
C'mon folks....let's hear more feedback please?:)

[View Quote]

binarybud

Apr 25, 2003, 12:31pm
hows about a small Maze just ouside GZ area....:)

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 25, 2003, 1:17pm
Well I was thinking more along the idea of what all would be at a party area
but an outdoors look?
Lemonade stand?
Keep em coming!:)
btw if we do this maybe certain areas could be personalized with contributed
low load objects like Binary Bud's Fruit Juice Bar?...lol

Maze would be good. So would several Wacky Races courses. Checkers and
Chess. A java arcade...

etc. :) Maybe even a fishing game if one can be rigged up with a bot.

Chris

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 25, 2003, 6:59pm
Oooooo...ideas ideas ideas!

[View Quote]

truetome2

Apr 26, 2003, 10:32am
I think everyone has great ideas, now if we can just get some of them
rolling we might be able to make this a new place for those who are familiar
enough with using AW to go and meet people and have fun. Yes it is still a G
rated world but I don't think it is as strict as gate and if people are
having fun there is no need for those pesky troublemakers to be ejected.
Plus it will free up the gate so the gatekeepers can concentrate on helping
those in need instead of worrying about those who just want to cause trouble
because they feel that can't chat without being ejected.

My Best to all,
True