is anyone ealse having V scan problems? (General Discussion)

is anyone ealse having V scan problems? // General Discussion

1  |

data21

Nov 22, 2001, 1:00am
Hi, for some reason I am no longer able to run my V scanner, i got the
lastest update last week.
Since then when ever i scan my HD for viruses it will not ever finish.
For some reason my virus scanner is using over 1 GB of HD space during the
scan, I have no clue why and I cant regain that space ether, this happened 2
times already to I now have 2 GB of space used up by it and I can not get it
back!
Someone please help. if this keeps up I wont have any HD space left.

My V scanner is McAfee VirusScan

brandon

Nov 22, 2001, 1:07am
i've been using Norton Anti-Virus for a long time now....i think its better

Could be a virus that it can't detect.. the virus could be creating a lot of
junk files. Or you can just reformat/repartition your hard drive and put
windows back in (not recommended)

data21

Nov 22, 2001, 1:40am
I just had this PC in the shop last month getting fixed due to a virus.
lost over half my files on my HD over that.
and the only things that I have downloaded since then was being in Active
Worlds and dreamland park.
The only files I have downloaded where the windows updates when they come
up.
And I check McAfee for updates once a week. and no viruses have ever shown
up yet.

[View Quote]

casay

Nov 22, 2001, 1:45am
Something got into it or something is very corrupted. Have you tried
unistalling it and re-install? Also, have you written to the company since
it seems to be something wrong with their latest update. Check for a patch!
Casay
[View Quote]

brandon

Nov 22, 2001, 1:46am
i wouldnt bring it to a shop. I'd rather just re format my HD then pay money
hehe. if your anti-virus didn't catch it then i dont recomend that
program....norton has cought every virus i've ever gotten with no problem...

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Nov 22, 2001, 3:56am
I might be wrong here...but I have been told that you don't have to go
anywhere to get a virus on your system. That people are able to go in thru
different ports that are open and "plant" a virus on your machine. To test
you can go to http://grc.com/default.htm
If any ports are open, you are vulnerable. And it usually is someone you
have never even met or ever will.

data21

Nov 22, 2001, 4:40am
your right people can get in your PC through open ports.
I have had a few times when someone from outside the AW browser tried to
accesses my world server.
In the world log it listed there IP they tried to get in, it said message to
long kicked out.
I am able to recreate it myself but I don't know if they did it that way or
not.
1 way I found out is to go in a web browser and do a http://IPaddress:7777
that will give the same post in the world log. "message to long kicked out"

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Nov 22, 2001, 5:11am
"alphabit phalpha" <alphabit at swbell.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3bfc938a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I might be wrong here...but I have been told that you don't have to go
> anywhere to get a virus on your system. That people are able to go in thru
> different ports that are open and "plant" a virus on your machine. To test
> you can go to http://grc.com/default.htm
> If any ports are open, you are vulnerable. And it usually is someone you
> have never even met or ever will.

There's no way this can get you a virus.

Fox Mc Cloud

He's right.. you can't get a virus this way.. only by running files or
someone has complete root access.

data21

Nov 22, 2001, 10:06am
They can if they can hack into your net bus port or find some way to hack
activate ftp incoming to you.
Yes it can happen it has happened to me in the past.

[View Quote]

andras

Nov 22, 2001, 11:36am
[View Quote] Disagree! A misconfigured IIS web server or any (yet) unknown exploit can plant anything on your machine. Just remember CodeRed worm or the NIMDA . They are using a stack underflow technique to replace a return address from your browser into their program they already loaded through the exploit into the memory.
Alphabit Phalpha is totally right when she pointed the people interest to grc.com . Probably the best security related site around the web.

Practice safe hex:
Have your unused ports closed.
Keep your servers up to date: apply all security related patches as soon as you can.
Use a firewall (ZoneAlarm comes to my mind first but Tiny Personal Firewall is as good too). They are available free on the net.

HTH,
Andras

agent1

Nov 22, 2001, 12:26pm
It's not possible to force someone to accept an FTP connection. Even if it was, your computer wouldn't do anything with the data it did recieve unless you were running an FTP server that was totally open to the public. Can someone jog my memory, because I seem to recall there being a trojan horse named NetBus...

Anyway, you can't be "hacked" unless your computer is extremely insecure or you blindly run executables as a root/administrator user (always the case in Windows 98/95).

Unless you're running a server of any kind you cannot be hacked from a
normal computer.. unless your computer is unpatched and only a very dumb
person would keep it so :). You cannot be attacked from netbus, or
something similar.. viruses cannot be planted from a TCP port.. that would
just be a stupid thing to allow since you have a lot of them. My computer
is invisible to the net.. except for the fact that I run a webserver..
that's the only thing people can detect. And for someone else to get access
to your computer to upload a virus.. you would need to run a trojan/backdoor
program to allow them to do so. There's no other way to do it.. that is
unless you know the complete windows source code and know how MS gets those
hidden files from your hard drive ;).

foxmccloud

Nov 22, 2001, 1:22pm
> Disagree! A misconfigured IIS web server or any (yet) unknown exploit can
plant anything on your machine. Just remember CodeRed worm or the NIMDA .
They are using a stack underflow technique to replace a return address from
your browser into their program they already loaded through the exploit into
the memory.
> Alphabit Phalpha is totally right when she pointed the people interest to
grc.com . Probably the best security related site around the web.

Ok, I obviously agree with you, running a server CAN get you a virus. But
the flaw is in the IIS server itself, I don't think this could ever happen
with apache (although you never know).
On a side note, I never disagreed about protecting your computer or going to
http://grc.com, as you CAN get hacked through listening sockets (teardrop,
DoS, whatever). I just stated that getting hacked that way will not get you
a virus, it could crash your computer though.

> Practice safe hex:
> Have your unused ports closed.
> Keep your servers up to date: apply all security related patches as soon
as you can.
> Use a firewall (ZoneAlarm comes to my mind first but Tiny Personal
Firewall is as good too). They are available free on the net.

> HTH,
> Andras

I perfectly agree with all of this :)

Fox Mc Cloud

captain mad mike

Nov 23, 2001, 2:00am
Uhhh...I watched a guy hack into another guy's computer and plant a backdoor
on it on TechTV, all they do is connect thru DOS, plant the backdoor
program, and then reboot your machine. Now the backdoor is installed and is
running and any hacker using a client program for that backdoor can break in
and do whatever they want.

You can't do that unless your have run a file previously which gives them
access.. or they have FTP/Telnet access.. just won't work through windows.

agent1

Nov 23, 2001, 2:54pm
Uhh... I don't care what you saw on TV. It still remains that, as Bowen said, the system would have to be compromised before the person could "hack" the machine. Connecting through DOS doesn't do anything special, so I don't see how that's relevant. Anyway, they can't get into your computer unless it is already insecure.

-Agent1

[View Quote] [View Quote]

Bingo :)