fog and steam in AW (Wishlist)

fog and steam in AW // Wishlist

1  |

ferruccio

Jan 11, 2004, 8:27am
I saw what orb said in a previous thread, and decided to discuss this, is it
possible with renderware 3 to have patches of fog and steam? how well would
it work? would it just lag people out to have particle effects? (that's what
I'm assuming fog and steam are, particle effects, I may be wrong)

kah

Jan 11, 2004, 11:22am
"ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net> wrote in
news:40012504$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I saw what orb said in a previous thread, and decided to discuss this,
> is it possible with renderware 3 to have patches of fog and steam? how
> well would it work? would it just lag people out to have particle
> effects? (that's what I'm assuming fog and steam are, particle
> effects, I may be wrong)

Don't know if RW3 supports patchy fog, somehow I don't think it does. I
know NVIDIA GeForce 3, 4 and FX support it, but I don't think ATI cards
have an equivalent. You'd probably have to do it software, which means slow
and/or ugly. Fog is not a particle effect.

Steam, or any other particle effect, should be easy. Roland said RW3
supported particle systems. Unless the RW3 implementation is particularly
bad, they should not lag you (unless you fill your world with large
particle systems, but you can achieve the same with high-poly objects) if
you have a decent hardware accelerator and a fast CPU.

KAH

zeofatex

Jan 11, 2004, 12:46pm
Download the Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear demo... (Urban Operations and Black Thorn
are addon packs, youc an download them too) they use Renderware and it looks
a crapload better than aw, has smoke effects, etc. No lag and works on
pretty crappy machines... http://redstorm.com somewhere on their website.
See what AW is missing out on =\

[View Quote]

orb

Jan 11, 2004, 3:56pm
I wonder if fog and steam would look cool as coronas.. Mixing animated steam
(fog) texture as coronas + light + fx maybe?

I tell you, the more I think, the more I feel that there is nothing more
truly artistic than to love people.
--Vincent van Gogh

"zeofatex" <gzanone at optonline.net> wrote in
news:400161e2$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Download the Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear demo... (Urban Operations and Black
> Thorn are addon packs, youc an download them too) they use Renderware
> and it looks a crapload better than aw, has smoke effects, etc. No lag
> and works on pretty crappy machines... http://redstorm.com somewhere
> on their website. See what AW is missing out on =\

No, that's not true. Last time I checked RS used the Half-Life engine,
which has nothing to do with RW.

KAH

zeofatex

Jan 12, 2004, 8:55pm
Renderware is used as the Physics Engine, my bad ;) (It's a good
engine... -- I should post this back in the topic a while ago about wanting
a physics engine rofl)

http://www.pcgameworld.com/story.php/id/2777/

also... GTA/Vice City uses Renderware doesn't it? GTA Kicks ass o.o

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jan 13, 2004, 3:05am
It would be cool as long as it doesn't fog up transparent objects
when it gets really cold.

:-)

pretty sure half-life used the quake 2 engine no?

-SWE

"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> wrote in news:40040941 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> pretty sure half-life used the quake 2 engine no?

Half-Life uses the Half-Life engine. The Q2 engine has nothing to do with
RW, for that matter's sake.

i never said the Q2 engine has anything to do with rw, i said half-life use
the q2 engine, im on a diffrent subject! :) and im pretty sure they use the
Q2 engine! sure i saw that somewhere.

-SWE

"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> wrote in news:40042d87$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> i never said the Q2 engine has anything to do with rw, i said
> half-life use the q2 engine, im on a diffrent subject! :) and im
> pretty sure they use the Q2 engine! sure i saw that somewhere.

Let me assure you, H-L uses it's own engine :-)

[View Quote] That's not what they say. ;)
"Half-Life™ takes advantage of licensed technology from id Software..."

--
Bowen

ha! quake 2! ^_^

-SWE

Jan 17, 2004, 2:17am
[View Quote] I guess technically it's its own engine, but it's based off of Quake2.