minimum values for light effects (Wishlist)

minimum values for light effects // Wishlist

1  |

codewarrior

Sep 18, 2003, 3:40pm
When you 'create light fx=pulse time=5', it would be nice if you could
add min=.2 so that the light would only go to 20 % of it's full level
instead
of going completely to off.

weizer

Sep 18, 2003, 7:27pm
The intensity of the light depends of its color. If you want a very bright
light, use a white one (FFFFFF hexa) but if you want it darker, chose a grey
level like 777777 (hexa). 000000 means black, so no light. It goes the same
with the colors, try a darker orange and it does the same as a low intensity
orange light. Let me know if you don't understand.

-Weizer
"codewarrior" <pete at accelr8r.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f69ee0a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> When you 'create light fx=pulse time=5', it would be nice if you could
> add min=.2 so that the light would only go to 20 % of it's full level
> instead
> of going completely to off.

codewarrior

Sep 19, 2003, 10:24am
I can already set the maximum light exactly the way you say. What I want is
way to set the minimum amount when the effects are used. They currently fade
the light all the way to black.

I want a way to set the 'black' level.. not the white level. I want to be
able to
use the effects in a much more subtle way than is currently possible.

I might want for example a light that varies between 50 and 75% brightness.
I can get the 75% brigthness maximum by setting the light to 0xC0C0C0,
but the effects will not allow me to set a minimum level of 0x808080

It might be better if instead of a 'min=fraction' they had a 'min=color'
parameter that let you set the 'other' color that the effects interpolate
between. There is an interpolation algorithm in there that is currently
using the color black as a hardcoded parameter. I would just like that
parameter to be made accessable. It would increase the utility of this
command with very little extra coding.

[View Quote]

weizer

Sep 19, 2003, 7:56pm
Oh ok I understand. Very good idea, that'd be great !

-Weizer
"codewarrior" <pete at accelr8r.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f6af57d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I can already set the maximum light exactly the way you say. What I want
is
> way to set the minimum amount when the effects are used. They currently
fade
> the light all the way to black.
>
> I want a way to set the 'black' level.. not the white level. I want to be
> able to
> use the effects in a much more subtle way than is currently possible.
>
> I might want for example a light that varies between 50 and 75%
brightness.
> I can get the 75% brigthness maximum by setting the light to 0xC0C0C0,
> but the effects will not allow me to set a minimum level of 0x808080
>
> It might be better if instead of a 'min=fraction' they had a 'min=color'
> parameter that let you set the 'other' color that the effects interpolate
> between. There is an interpolation algorithm in there that is currently
> using the color black as a hardcoded parameter. I would just like that
> parameter to be made accessable. It would increase the utility of this
> command with very little extra coding.

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 20, 2003, 7:42pm
I don't know if you know about this but you can set brightness=<some number>

starfleet

Sep 20, 2003, 10:54pm
'brightness' should be shortened to 'bright' or br.

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Sep 21, 2003, 2:28am
Yes.. but again brightness is only dealing with a maximum value. I want to
set
the minimum.

I would settle for a dimness= (or obviously a di=) command.

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 21, 2003, 7:30pm
actually, it does do dimness. The default brightness level is 10, I think,
so if you set it lower than 10, it gets dimmer

codewarrior

Sep 21, 2003, 10:16pm
Yes, but it's not what I am asking for.

[View Quote] Yeah, what you want is a lower default while the fx are not in use or
something like that. Like when not "activated" it's at 20% and when you
click it it jumps to as high as it gets?

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

codewarrior

Sep 22, 2003, 10:39am
No.. when the FX are in use, they vary between a minimum and a maximum.

The maximum is just the level and color you set for the light.

The minimum is the color black, or the brightness at 0%, or the
dimness at 100% or however you want to look at it.

Maybe if I explain it in terms of workarounds...

I set up a light and go fx=pulse time=5

Over a period of 5 seconds the light goes from bright to completely off.

I don't want completely off though.. I want 50% light.

So I put another light there at 50% brightness, but now I've used two
lights and I only have eight lights total.

I want to just tell the lighting effect not to go all the way to off.

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 30, 2003, 1:18am
so then why not use the fx fire?