More picture support (Wishlist)

More picture support // Wishlist

1  |

brock

Jun 28, 2003, 12:55pm
This has been wanted over the years, but how about support for more image
formats, like png, gif, etc.....

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader

sw comit

Jun 28, 2003, 4:49pm
I believe AW said GIF costs a hefty licensing fee to use in a commercial
product. However I also heard that the GIF patent was "about to expire" a
couple years ago so I dunno.

[View Quote] There's MNG.

sw comit

Jun 30, 2003, 10:49pm
What's better than jpg in compress to quality ratio? I didn't think there
were any. Call me ignorant =P I'd like to know though for future
reference.

[View Quote]

technozeus

Jul 1, 2003, 5:58am
that would depend largely on how much quality loss is acceptable. For example, if you want to create an image with a pattern of strongly contrasting pixels for a special effect of some type, you would probably want no image quality loss at all. In fact, I had made several textures back when ziped .bmp images were still supported, which became useless when converted to JPG.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Jul 7, 2003, 4:01pm
I'd like to see them support *any* self masking format.

I believe the GIF patent only applies to software that *creates* GIF files.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jul 7, 2003, 5:28pm
you are correct

"sw comit" <swcomit at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3f00da84 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> What's better than jpg in compress to quality ratio? I didn't think
> there were any. Call me ignorant =P I'd like to know though for
> future reference.

I know this post is 20 days old, but what the heck:

PNG is *far* superior to JPEG. It provides lossless compression that works
well (there is hardly any loss in image quality and the filesize is tiny),
in addition to a bunch of other format features. I think it's the US Army's
format of choice when dealing with images that have to be losslessly
compressed, and if you ask me, that's a serious vote of confidence.

PNG is not ideal with a high color count, just for up to
256 colors, lossless PNG is really small.