fix the news groups (Wishlist)

fix the news groups // Wishlist

1  |

dlp anne

May 27, 2003, 9:21pm
fix the news groups so you don't have to relog in again when you change to
another topic.
this will remove alot of the server lag caused us all logging in again each
time you change topics.

finding host
connecting
connected
authorizing
connected
downloading new messages

agent1

May 27, 2003, 9:43pm
This isn't a problem with the news server - it's with your news client.

ryan

May 27, 2003, 10:50pm
Everything works fine with me..I'm using OE

Ryan

[View Quote]

dlp anne

May 27, 2003, 10:54pm
im using OE also, and it keeps wanting to log in on topic change.
watch the lower left corner, this is where the status is at.

[View Quote]

weizer

May 28, 2003, 2:04am
I use OE also but sometimes a message can take 15sec before loading, and I
have a cable connection. Not like that for every message but it becomes
really anoying.

dlp anne

May 28, 2003, 2:33am
Yes, that is yourself reloging in again.
There are times the server just sites at the authorizing stage trying to
verify your username and password.

[View Quote] OE has problems with loading things from cache and memory. Hence why I
switched.

dlp anne

May 28, 2003, 4:10am
What do you use?

[View Quote] Mozilla. It's a nice application (the default skins are a little crumby
though). Not to mention, Mozilla supports PNG/MNG much better than IE.

"agent1" <agent1 at shatteredplatters.com.nospam> wrote in
news:3ed3f83c at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> This isn't a problem with the news server - it's with your news
> client.

There's still a lot of server-side problems unrelated to newsreader bugs
that cause random disconnects. They don't seem interested in fixing it.

KAH

pc hamster

May 29, 2003, 5:25am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Same with me. Sometimes it lags a little, but then too, so does my ISP's
USENET server when I read news from there.

Patrick

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 29, 2003, 5:34am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] This can often be caused by normal net lag too.

Patrick

"pc hamster" <pchamster at attbi.com> wrote in news:3ed5b7eb$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> This can often be caused by normal net lag too.

But in this case it's not, rest assured, I know.

KAH

binarybud

May 29, 2003, 6:47pm
seconds that.....seems strange they don't give a hoot about it either. It's been going on for months now.

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Jun 4, 2003, 8:58pm
but that is a whole browser and stuff.. isn't there a good program out there
just for newsgroups?

[View Quote] Quite a bite of them. Forte Agent. And XNews, the one that KAH uses
(it's a piece of crap though -- hard as hell to use). Search
http://www.sourceforget.net for NNTP clients for windows.

[View Quote] http://www.sourceforge.net. My bad.

[View Quote] Nevermind, that seemed to be a dead end.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/Usenet/Windows/

"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> wrote in
news:3ede7b18$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Quite a bite of them. Forte Agent. And XNews, the one that KAH uses
> (it's a piece of crap though -- hard as hell to use). Search
> http://www.sourceforget.net for NNTP clients for windows.

Surely you jest? XNews is dead easy to use.