Maximum Visiblity field in World Server (Wishlist)

Maximum Visiblity field in World Server // Wishlist

1  |

talisan

Sep 9, 2002, 8:51am
I'd like a maximum visiblity to set in world server settings. I assume I can
set this as a fog value, but I'd still like to have a max vis field.

carlbanks

Sep 9, 2002, 10:03am
world features not world server.

--
-CarLBanks, 335711
Virtual Forum: www.projectcforum.cjb.net

[View Quote]

the derek

Sep 10, 2002, 12:31am
me too lol in my world people will be at 200m visibility when the cell limit
is large... and they complain about lag... i REALLY would like this feature.

also a DEFAULT visibility would be kewl

Yes, it has an advantage in adventure worlds where you want to
equalize the conditions for people want to use different hardware.

I always wondered why it wasn't there wen the min. visibility
came - max. vis. seems more important to me than min.

You mean let people deliberatly run worse than there maximum. I miss your logic.

shred

Sep 11, 2002, 4:15pm
I believe that this is what Ananas meant: in an adventure or gaming world, those with higher visibilities would have a distinct advantage; meaning that those with better hardware would have the advantage. Setting a maximum visibility that most lower-end hardware could run would keep the playing field a little more level.

"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3d7f82e3 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> You mean let people deliberatly run worse than there maximum. I miss
> your logic.

It's so everyone sees the same. The world would be designed to let you see
everything you need to see within that visibility.

KAH

hal9000

Sep 11, 2002, 5:28pm
isn't that what fog does?

--
Hal9000
worlds: Discover, Planets

Well, I tried fog, but fog works very strange, in some directions
it limits your visibility to just some meters, rotate some degrees
and you will not recognize any fog, rotate a few degrees more and
fog will again reduce visibility to nearly zero.

Fog in AW isn't really like fog, it's more like random visibility
and random light (maybe only when using software rendering?).

> Well, I tried fog, but fog works very strange, in some directions
> it limits your visibility to just some meters, rotate some degrees
> and you will not recognize any fog, rotate a few degrees more and
> fog will again reduce visibility to nearly zero.
>
> Fog in AW isn't really like fog, it's more like random visibility
> and random light (maybe only when using software rendering?).

Happens in all modes, there's something with the way it renders. Would be nice for
density (tabular) fog in addition to the normal fog.

--Bowen--

the derek

Sep 11, 2002, 10:22pm
it doesnt do it very well, and it looks stupid...
i would want this feature more than anything else...

"hal9000" <hal9k3 at attbi.com> wrote in
news:3d7f9966$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> isn't that what fog does?

I don't think that the AW fog system is good enough to actually stop
rendering beyond max fog. That means you don't see the stuff behind it, but
it's still rendered. So it only covers half the problem, because it's silly
to stop you seeing stuff beyond a certain distance if it still affects your
performance. Anyway AW fog looks bad and doesn't work right, they should
use professional fog.