Defualt Terrain Texture Changability (Wishlist)

Defualt Terrain Texture Changability // Wishlist

1  |

zeo toxion

Jul 4, 2002, 4:14pm
I've decided I want to buy a world but I refuse to buy it until AW includes
something they should have in the first place. Ability to change the default
terrain texture! How hard is this!? I own an object path and there's is NO
WAY I'm making another one or changing every single terrain square just to
have another texture. But even then I can't change the texture past the edge
of the world. Other worlds use this path and have been for a long time. I'm
not going to force them to have their world turned ugly because I want
another default terrain texture that isn't just grass or something.

I know this wouldn't be very hard to add another world option. And even if
it is it is VERY important. I don't know why this wasn't thought of in the
first place because I thought of it the first time I ever used terrain. I'm
going to e-mail this to the developers becuase no one ever reads this ng (i
still wonder why it even exists).

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

maki

Jul 4, 2002, 5:12pm
I agree, they should just add it to the worldoptions, shouldn't be hard
seeing all the other things they've added...

--
maki www.awmaki.com
www.liquica.com

Why do you need it so much.. object paths should only be used by one world
anyways. (even though that's likely not to happen). That way there's no
conflicts. If your object path is on a linux computer, link folders. If
not, there's no way to do it that doesn't require a lot of work really.

dion

Jul 5, 2002, 2:17am
uhh.. in the object path, change the texture 'terrain0.jpg' and it'll change
all the world's terrain textures.

"bowen" <thisguyisashimmyritzer at 7k2.4mg.com> wrote in
news:3d251af0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why do you need it so much.. object paths should only be used by one
> world anyways. (even though that's likely not to happen). That way
> there's no conflicts. If your object path is on a linux computer,
> link folders. If not, there's no way to do it that doesn't require a
> lot of work really.

On Win32 you can use that strange "My Briefcase" stuff, but it wouldn't be
as effective as a linked folder.

"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in
news:3d251dc1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> uhh.. in the object path, change the texture 'terrain0.jpg' and it'll
> change all the world's terrain textures.

He meant that the OP is used by other worlds which have got terrain that
uses the default terrain texture, and that he wants a different one without
changing terrain0 (thus messing up the other worlds).

KAH

dion

Jul 5, 2002, 10:14am
ohhh :-P of course.
I suppose that would be a good option. sounds like a rather simple request.

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jul 5, 2002, 1:37pm
Well I'm sorry not everyone likes to create another object path and copy
millions of files over just to change one texture (terrain0.jpg) and that
not everyone uses the godly Linux operating system. Object paths were meant
to be used by more then one world, or we wouldn't have things like leased
ops or the activeworlds op (or any other op for that matter) being public.
It's easier to change one setting then change the entire way we use object
paths to the way it should be according to you. There's usual no other
conflicts except for the one that was created with terrain. I don't see any
sense in wasting space by having more then one path with all the same
objects on them anyway just because I'm afraid something might "conflict".

There, I think I've complained enough for today...

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

Did you read what I said? If it's on a linux machine you can link folders.
Linking folders allows you to create a pseudo object path. Just create a
seperate terrain folder and switch terrains around. Then link the
models/avatars/seqs/sounds folders and link them to the existing ones. If
not, there's not much you can do about it until it's added into the browser.
I don't see it happening either. MOST op's are only used in one world.

Adding onto that, if you ARE on a windows machine, use "my briefcase" for
it.

On NT you can make hardlinks too. FAR can do that for example
http://www.rarlab.com/, not sure if it works for other windows
versions too.

On a FAT file system it can be done with a disk editor, but I
cannot really recommend it, if you are not exactly aware of
what you're doing, because each chkdsk will report a lot of
problems, and if you allow chkdsk to fix it, it will destroy
stuff.

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jul 5, 2002, 5:45pm
Yes, I heard what you said. What I'm trying to say is, this should be a
feature. I don't even host my own OP so even if it is Linux there's nothing
I can do about it. I doubt it's so hard to do that they skipped it on
purpose. I'm reminding them that this is a very needed feature. I don't know
where you get the impression that object paths are only supposed to be used
in one world unless you've taken a poll or something. If they made it easy
for one world OPs and not OPs that multiple worlds use then that would cause
hassle for a lot of world owners. Thanks for trying to help but I just want
a feature not a work-around :)

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jul 5, 2002, 5:50pm
Umm...do you even know what a My Briefcase is? It's when you want to
synchronies files between two computers like your home and laptop computer
that you'd edit on both so that both versions of the briefcase are always
the newest. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it does. If there's some
other hidden feature to it......

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jul 5, 2002, 5:58pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I really could use them they would be a
big help. Most of the people who have this problem wouldn't even know what
your talking about so either way the feature is still a good idea.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

"zeo toxion" <zeo at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3d25f89d at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Umm...do you even know what a My Briefcase is? It's when you want to
> synchronies files between two computers like your home and laptop
> computer that you'd edit on both so that both versions of the
> briefcase are always the newest. At least I'm pretty sure that's what
> it does. If there's some other hidden feature to it......

I actually checked it out once (I was very bored heh), and it just
synchronises folders, can be any folders, not necesarily on two different
machines :-))

KAH

zeo toxion

Jul 9, 2002, 10:49pm
Yeah...maybe you should stick to Linux Bowen >;)

--
A message from Zeo Toxion