password protect the world server plz (Wishlist)

password protect the world server plz // Wishlist

1  |

data21

Nov 13, 2001, 3:06pm
Make a password protected shutdown of the world surver.
Event right click and exit. it will ask for a password, if you enter the
wrong one it will stay connected.
Event ctrl alt delete and end task. it will ask for a password. if you
enter the wrong one it will stay connected

There is a way to interrupt the ctrl alt delete end task.
Heres proof of it being interrupted.
Any of you that use that rwx modeler from www.rwmodeler.com make sure
you have the most up to date version, start to make any thing like just a
flat walk. Don't save it. instead hit ctrl alt and delete and end task on
the modeler you will get a window asking you if you wish to save your
project.
Take that and improvise a little

agent1

Nov 13, 2001, 4:37pm
If someone has physical access to the machine, you're out of luck. They could just unplug the computer and *all* of the hosted worlds go down.

data21

Nov 13, 2001, 4:47pm
Noone pulls the plug out of the wall at my house.

But as soon as the person who wants to use the computer starts it back up,
the worlds would restart.. if it runs like that.

Maybe this one helps, it disables all mouse events on the
popup that allows to choose "exit"

I could only test it on a WinNT4 and with no world running,
but it seems to work.

http://oct31.de/tmp/awsnoclose.zip

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

data21

Nov 13, 2001, 6:28pm
neat little program, but its still won't stop closing it. can just end task
on the AWSNoClose then do the same for the world server.

The new version hides itself now, killing it through
taskmanager still works but no icon anymore.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

data21

Nov 13, 2001, 9:08pm
new version of the world server?
I just updated it LOL i still got an icon next to teh clock.
now if it would run the the background with no visible icons or anything,
that be great

nope, not world server, that little program I made
to disable mouse actions on that tray icon

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

captain mad mike

Nov 14, 2001, 1:07am
Maybe an addon to consider (i'm no programmer, yet) would be making the
program get into your BIOS and disable shutting down the computer itself if
you really don't want anyone to be able to shut down the world, then of
course you'd probably have to deal with antivirus programs and BIOS Guardian
preventing that. Or actually...this is a more extreme way but it sorda works
pretty well I guess, if all the machine running the world is used for is
running the world and you can only shut down the server from the tray, edit
your system.ini file and where it says "shell=explorer.exe" just change it
to whatever the the path is to the world server program (I beleive you make
all filenames over 8 chars end in ~1 and don't use backslashes between
folders). Then if you want to use the computer you just boot to DOS and open
the file in edit and change the shell back to explorer. Thats what I do when
I want to defrag this thing :-D.

--
Captain MAD Mike
-Governor, PC Addict, Odd Man

[View Quote]

evil overlord

Nov 18, 2001, 6:30am
Try doing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row really fast, most progs wont catch
that :)

[View Quote]

data21

Nov 19, 2001, 8:50am
hahahahaha shut up evil overlord, you must ether be really new to
computers or your just a jerk. I posted a request. And I don't need smart
mouthed jerks like you in here saying stuff like that.
People like you should be kicked from these news groups if all your going to
do in insult people.
That is all I'm going to say to you evil overlord.

[View Quote]

agent1

Nov 19, 2001, 1:18pm
Uhh... what he said it perfectly valid. Just because he doesn't agree with what you said is not a reason to ban him from the newsgroups.

If you're trying to prevent someone from shutting down the world server, I have to tell you it's impossible if they have access to your computer. You shouldn't really run a world server from a desktop computer with other people accessing it anyway.

data21

Nov 19, 2001, 2:58pm
I don't call this valid, this in no way what so ever helps anyone or
anything.
Maybe you think its funny or something but I don't.
If this is valid then you need help.
evil overlord replied this to me.
Try doing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row really fast, most progs wont catch
that :)

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Nov 19, 2001, 8:28pm
I'm not sure it'll work if the program catches the call, but he's perfectly
right to make you aware of something you might not have thought about.

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3bf93a2a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I don't call this valid, this in no way what so ever helps anyone or
> anything.
> Maybe you think its funny or something but I don't.
> If this is valid then you need help.
> evil overlord replied this to me.
> Try doing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row really fast, most progs wont catch
> that :)

calm down, why don't you head over to a pro world hoster and pay some minor
fee for the hosting of your world if you really can't get your family not to
shut it down (seems weird to me, have you actually tryed to tell them you
pay for having the world?)... a few hosts are listed on
http://mauz.info/worldrunning.html (both free and commercial)