Megabot Beta v1.001 Released // Bots

1  2  |

scuz

Aug 29, 2003, 7:50pm
http://megabot.awscape.net

*Scratches head* Hardly what you could call a mega bot... with half its
features missing...

scuz

Aug 29, 2003, 8:23pm
Its on its way. I hope. Schools starting next week >.<

Try a rename... :) Going for things like Mega just makes people go 'hah!'
or.. .makes me go Hah anyway...

scuz

Aug 29, 2003, 9:14pm
:P well right now LARGE bot is what im looking at >.< have only added
paintball and chat and its already 5megs >__<
[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Aug 29, 2003, 10:10pm
plz not annother 10 meg bot.. but if it is 10 meg at least have all the
features chazbot have.. which i think is too much to even have in one
program. i think people should make these "mega" bots into 4 or 5 seperate
programs and people can download the one(s) they want, and also offer a
package (for example: ms office or macromedia studio, etc.) that contain all
the programs in one download.

[View Quote]

scuz

Aug 29, 2003, 10:23pm
ehh. ima just make diff bots >.<. not wat i wanted todo at the start but now
i see that no way i can fit everything in without a 30 meg dl :O
[View Quote]

joeman

Aug 29, 2003, 10:45pm
Perhaps you shouldn't bloat it with tons of dialogs and
images/graphics/whatever?

-Joe

[View Quote]

scuz

Aug 29, 2003, 10:51pm
There are 0 images in the whole program and 2(i think) in the installer.
[View Quote]

lord fett

Aug 30, 2003, 3:49am
A program icon would be nice though, instead of the vb default one :-P

[View Quote] Dialogs bloat program size. Try stuffing things in categories to keep
down the dialog amount.

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 6:29am
"alexthemartian" <alex at virtual-studios.net> wrote in
news:3f4feb61 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> plz not annother 10 meg bot.. but if it is 10 meg at least have all
> the features chazbot have.. which i think is too much to even have in
> one program. i think people should make these "mega" bots into 4 or 5
> seperate programs and people can download the one(s) they want, and
> also offer a package (for example: ms office or macromedia studio,
> etc.) that contain all the programs in one download.

[View Quote] Lol, Chazbot is 14 megs of which 75% is taken by third party dll's to
make up for the crappy mess MS has to offer in the way of API's.

And is aimed at world/universe owners who mostly have fast(er) links.
Downloading 14 mb in broadband takes a very short while. Then at $1 per
GB storage cost it costs about 1 dollarcent to store, which makes a bit
curious why the bot size should be an issue.

But as soon as someone wants to pay for me working my ass off to split
the bot in separate modules i'll be happy to comply ;)

In other words: don't look a gift horse in the mouth and blame MS for 75%
of the size.

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

5MB's is rediculous.... Echelons only 4.5MB and Zeus is only 500kb and
theyre more than paintball and chat could ever be...

joeman

Aug 30, 2003, 11:21am
You so adore your bots, don't you? Well, I adore my bot (not what your
thinking about) ... Which pwnz your bot any day. ;) I call him
A.L.F.R.E.D. (All Lives From Red End Dubiously), and he's the most advanced
data acquiring and storage bot ever know to AW.... Buhahahahahaha!
Seriously, think what he's for... I dare you to even conceive of its power.
Puny mortal fool!

*steps out of the control booth*

Err...

-Joe
If you missed my OZ hint, you're blind like I am... But, metaphorically
speaking...

[View Quote]

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 1:19pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3f507ae5
$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> 5MB's is rediculous.... Echelons only 4.5MB and Zeus is only 500kb and
> theyre more than paintball and chat could ever be...
why is that ridiculous? it's just another way of presenting a program,
question of taste and vision. If that's ridiculous, it's ridiculous to
build programs for a GUI using no or very few dialogs, having to twiddle
with ini settings.

It seems that a lot of people here suffer from a severe case of
Conservatism, where what was true a few years ago is an universal,
unshakeable truth.

Well my reality is that things change at a furious pace, what was true
yesterday can old hat today: storage space gets cheaper by the day,
broadband availability grows at a good speed (at least in Europe :)as
demonstrated by the huge price drops for bandwidth in the well covered
countries, what was 35 euro a month a year ago, now is half that.

But even in a third world country like the Czech Republic i can get
broadband in a remote village somewhere in the mountains. With a large
range of speed/price options.

For the life of me is don't understand this bickering for size, seems to
me like an inverted peeing contest.

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

Yes... and now all things are more suited to CD distribution.. now even to
DVD distribution..

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 2:10pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f50caca at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Yes... and now all things are more suited to CD distribution.. now
> even to DVD distribution..
>
> - Mark

[View Quote] thats an idea :) i should distribute the bot on a CD ;)

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

scuz

Aug 30, 2003, 2:49pm
heh. pay me enough to buy the cds and ill gladly send them to ya.

-Scuz. Maker of the big bot that doesnt do much yet with 7 massive dlls in
it >.<

7 massive DLLs!?

What the bloody hell are you using in it!?

Freesize.ocx, AMillionThingsAPI.ocx WasteOfSpace.ocx? Followed by every DLL
in the windows resource lib?

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 3:00pm
"scuz" <scuz at awscape.com> wrote in
news:3f50d5a6$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> heh. pay me enough to buy the cds and ill gladly send them to ya.
>
> -Scuz. Maker of the big bot that doesnt do much yet with 7 massive
> dlls in it >.<

tnx but i think i'll pass on that :)And let them bitch about size, we all
know size doesnt matter ;)

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

Of course!

Its how you use it that counts.. but at 5mb you must be using the code in em
pretty shitely.

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 3:43pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f50dc83 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Of course!
>
> Its how you use it that counts.. but at 5mb you must be using the code
> in em pretty shitely.
>
> - Mark

i dont know, i just know that to use 1 function from my third party libs
i need to ship the whole lib.

Chazbot contains about 6 mb of libs/dll's, and the main program has about
5 mb statically linked in. i am sure i dont use all of it :) but have
very little choice in the matter, except to use crappy MS stuff which is
not really much of an option
--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

Course... until you have seen the actual source code for the MS stuff you
can't say if its crap or not :)

[View Quote] I wonder, why is it everytime the word bot is mentioned you always
through in your bots in comparison? It's sort of like "I got a new bike
for christmas." Then you go "Yeah well my bike has 2 wheels and a brake
for both of them."

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 4:58pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f50ec57$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Course... until you have seen the actual source code for the MS stuff
> you can't say if its crap or not :)
>
> - Mark

i can just judge the book by its cover, the API's are counterintuitive,
bugridden (what MS stuff isnt) and have an extremely steep learning
curve.
In other words, crap.

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

An extremely steep learning curve eh.. well.. if you can't stand the heat...

It is quite possibly because I know what I'm talking about from experience
with my own bots... I say.. your in a bad mood Bowen.. did Joeman forget to
feed you?

- Mark

"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> wrote :
> I wonder, why is it everytime the word bot is mentioned you always
> through in your bots in comparison? It's sort of like "I got a new bike
> for christmas." Then you go "Yeah well my bike has 2 wheels and a brake
> for both of them."
>
> --
> --Bowen--
> http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
> Yeah, it's that good.
> (Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

baron sweetman

Aug 30, 2003, 5:10pm
"strike rapier" <strike at Rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3f50f580$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> An extremely steep learning curve eh.. well.. if you can't stand the
> heat...
you skip crappy MS and buy something with a gentle curve so you dont
waste your time proving how smart you are ;)

--
If polluting the Environment is against the law it follows that human
procreation should be outlawed

[View Quote] Bad mood trumps asshole, sorry -- didn't eep teach you anything?

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

scuz

Aug 30, 2003, 6:36pm
DO NOT DOWNLOAD. It seems the installer maker decided to corrupt the exe so
u cant add bots.

-Scuzy