Gaps in latest Alphaworld objects... (WARNING: A PNG images files attached) (Community)

Gaps in latest Alphaworld objects... (WARNING: A PNG images files attached) // Community

You... are a freakin psycopath!

428 KB!?!?!?!?!

-- MR

rossyboy

Sep 29, 2004, 2:01pm
I think this may be a more general problem with the latest version of AW
actually. Recently I built something and I had more serious alignment
problems than ever before.

[View Quote] > Apparently there was gaps between curved panels and the curved floor objects
> on the edge. =/

eep

Sep 29, 2004, 11:32pm
AW has floating point errors all OVER the place--and they get worse in large worlds the further away one is from GZ and if not building parallel to the world axes.
Seams are another problem, too: http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/improve.html#seams

It's bad enough we can't move objects finer than 1cm increments...

[View Quote] There needs to be some kind of manual entry for them... but that might
not help.

eep

Sep 30, 2004, 3:39am
Manual entry? For seams? Huh?

[View Quote] For the object's coordinates. It seems the browser gets worse at
rounding, which might easily be fixed by a manual entry.

rossyboy

Sep 30, 2004, 12:11pm
Great idea and probably very simple to implement too!

[View Quote] Also would be great for an object yard. You could create a duplicate of
the object, and move it to your build by entering the coordinates manually.

johnf

Sep 30, 2004, 5:02pm
Eep your site needs updating in places (such as "keep vis at blahblah" from
120 to 200)

John

[View Quote]

eep

Sep 30, 2004, 5:06pm
I doubt it since the cell database is, according to Andras anyway, written only to a certain accuracy (1cm-translation and .1-degree rotation). Basically, changing the object positioning would require a complete world server rewrite...or something.

[View Quote] I'm having trouble seeing the problem in that.

vera

Sep 30, 2004, 6:34pm
Since 3.1 we are having problems in stay paralel to the axes.....did anyone notice that the coordinates are not perfect anymore??? Then its impossible to place the object correct...Thats why so many gaps around.

[View Quote] > I doubt it since the cell database is, according to Andras anyway, written only to a certain accuracy (1cm-translation and .1-degree rotation). Basically, changing the object positioning would require a complete world server rewrite...or something.

Simple Reason... you dont have to code it.

- MR

[View Quote] > Simple Reason... you dont have to code it.

Nor is it my job to make a useable product for a company that doesn't
employ me.

It's not something completely hard, it'll just take a little work. With
a little planning they could make it compatible with the current design.

I love it when you give me programming talks, it's certainly enjoyable
and completely retarded at the same time. I'm still waiting for that
FTP/registry/bot thing from you, which you said could be done in minutes
and has been almost a month now. Go.

Oh, and by the way, you forgot the apostrophe in the word don't.

Oh didnt bother making anything, for a start I only make things I need,
secondly... why re-invent the wheel?

- MR

[View Quote] Because the wheel seems to be oval in shape now; it's having a hard time
completing it's function as a wheel.

I guess only making things you need beats charging $600 for something
that doesn't work. Which brings me to question your motive behind your
publically released bots and their purpose to you.

Simple, needed a challange, experience with dealing with other user debugs
and the promotion is nice as well considering Ive just started my BEng,
regardless ive for a fair time wanted to release some software, thankfully
SWE gave me that oppertunity.

Their purpose to me is I use them as my personal support bots now, I don't
need to use anything else and if I do need any special features or such I
can just update the program to include them.

- MR

[View Quote]

andras

Sep 30, 2004, 7:38pm
[View Quote] > Simple, needed a challange, experience with dealing with other user debugs
> and the promotion is nice as well considering Ive just started my BEng,
> regardless ive for a fair time wanted to release some software, thankfully
> SWE gave me that oppertunity.
>
> Their purpose to me is I use them as my personal support bots now, I don't
> need to use anything else and if I do need any special features or such I
> can just update the program to include them.
>
> - MR

[View Quote] Hey children!!! Stop the quarelling in the NG!
Both of you have points which deserves some attention but most of them are just teenage fight.
When you reach a certain age, you'll learn that sometimes it is your best interest to let your opponent to win an argument:) Took me a while to learn it but it works!
Both of you have a good goal of your life but they are different:
Mark wants to be the best programmer and I support him (if he doesn't overreact !)
Bowen is working on his education in a different way - he is looking for flexibility and portability (which I endorse).

You guys would make the Internet and the computer users' society a better place if you are not fighting with such a big effort! Try to think about the opportunity you can create something new and not about the opportunity to bash your competitor!
You both know me some time and know that I never would go into a public fight with a reputable programmer :) <Sure - I would do it behind the scenes but that is a totally different issue!>
Sooo - let the wheel be oval and spy on it with Echelon!

We (others) can only gain from the experience you are making with them!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

[View Quote] LoL... I like my wheels to be pentagonal.

johnf

Oct 1, 2004, 5:18am
Well I like mine to be square.

John

[View Quote]

chrispeg

Oct 1, 2004, 5:52am
What you noticed has nothing to do with what you assumed at first. Take a
closer look at the rwx files, compare the transform statements and learn
that the objects in question differ in their sizes slighty.
I will initiate that these objects are been corrected.

Thanks,
Chris

"eep" <no at spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:415B5E30.66919869 at spam.com...
> AW has floating point errors all OVER the place--and they get worse in
> large worlds the further away one is from GZ and if not building parallel
> to the world axes.
> Seams are another problem, too: http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/improve.html#seams
>
> It's bad enough we can't move objects finer than 1cm increments...

[View Quote]

eep

Oct 1, 2004, 7:11am
Yes, I mentioned this to Roland, Shamus, and practically everyone else who listened, YEARS ago, but nothing was ever done about it, as usual. Also note that infinitely-repeating ground objects will bounce as you move (or simply move the camera around via mouselook) throughout the world; this is most easily seen in AlphaWorld. You also cannot even move in a straight line due to these same floating point errors (which are no doubt the cause of ALL these problems).

[View Quote]

eep

Oct 1, 2004, 7:14am
Huh? Which objects are you referring to? If Cubed's modular ground in the seams image in that link, they were (and still ARE) 10x10m with only varying heights of 1m increments. Regardless, while related to floating point errors, seams are a separate issue from gaps in lining up objects when building.

[View Quote]

chrispeg

Oct 1, 2004, 8:11am
Look at the original post from legion in the community ng to which you
(Eep²) replied.

"eep" <no at spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:415D1C33.824B1CFB at spam.com...
> Huh? Which objects are you referring to? If Cubed's modular ground in the
> seams image in that link, they were (and still ARE) 10x10m with only
> varying heights of 1m increments. Regardless, while related to floating
> point errors, seams are a separate issue from gaps in lining up objects
> when building.

[View Quote]

ry

Oct 2, 2004, 5:24am
he said warning.
Deal.

--
Ry
www.zenithblu.net

anduin

Oct 2, 2004, 5:57am
[View Quote] What does that matter?

I use a news reader which has quick shortcut keys.

I press the *N* key to skip to the next unread message and the file
starts to download... Deal :o)

Anduin

ry

Oct 2, 2004, 6:18am
I dont think you understand what Im saying

Strike said ooo big file wah wah
I said the subject line says Warning, so deal with it - you opened the file.

Your comment makes no sense.

--
Ry
www.zenithblu.net

anduin

Oct 2, 2004, 6:55am
[View Quote] It makes perfect sense.

If I am reading a topic up further up in the newsgroup and I hit *N* to
read the next thread, it scrolls down for me automatically and opens the

The best way to show files is to upload them to a server and give
readers a link to download or view the file from.

Eep, where has your good ole' days bickering gone? You'd normally jump
at this thread and rip out your claws!

Anduin

legion

Oct 3, 2004, 2:50am
Is it just me or did the move command using 9999 for wait and 0.001 for time
caused a gap to appear between street1.rwx and street3.rwx (with street1.rwx
on upper tip of the street3.rwx)? I'm noticing lots of gaps with these
objects if you used these kinds of move command arguements (or something
like that). I'm trying to cross someone's road with my roads by building a
overpass but now I get gaps there. :/

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

legion

Oct 3, 2004, 2:52am
Err should've been "street1.rwx on end of the upper tip of the street3.rwx."
Sorry, should've been more clearer about that lol.