Terrain in AlphaWorld? (Community)

Terrain in AlphaWorld? // Community

1  |

c p

Sep 13, 2004, 12:28am
So far the only excuse i have seen as to why we cannot have it is because,
it would cause Z buffering...However AW 3.5 added terrain offset, so couldnt
they set the offset to -.005 and then it would be the same as their ground
object.

If not that they could make it below the ground object, and then allow a
terrainbot (demeter) so we could raise it up, it would add, well, realism...

legion

Sep 13, 2004, 1:13am
Issues, issues, and issues....

Only President Enzo know better. :)

Begins to write to President Enzo:

(Insert addresses here)

Mr. President,

On the behalf of our great nation of Active Worlds and its citizens, we
would like to know if it is possible to do this and this and this. Thank you
for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely yours,

Dr. Legion
Professor of Legionary Science
Active Worlds University
Ph.D. in Legionary Science ^_^

--
Dr. Legion
Professor of Legionary Science, Active Worlds University
Ph.D. in Legionary Science
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Sep 13, 2004, 1:35am
I agree that terrain would be a nice addition to Alpha World, but, I would
like to list some issues involved with adding terrain.

1: Terrain has a very far visibility. In AWTeen it is 800 meters I believe.
If some n00b makes a terrain spike, it isn't as simple as reducing the
visibility to remove the ugliness.
2: Alpha World is huge, with over 4 billion cells. I'm not sure how much of
a strain it would be for a demeter bot to manage a world of such size.

... That's all I can think of, as a matter of fact. O_o

legion

Sep 13, 2004, 1:38am
There's no such terrain spike in real life, are there? So there might be
some way to restrict that via control that prohibits spike of certain height
or something like that. I don't know much about it. But again, I doubts that
would be entirely possible but I am just throwing you all an idea to shape
up or at least throw away in the trash can in Enzo's office. ;)

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

legion

Sep 13, 2004, 1:51am
Grr... no editing capability in this newsgroup.

Anyway, why is this thread posted in community newsgroup? Isn't it supposed
to be in wishlist?

Eep would say:

Wrong newsgroup; use news://news.activeworlds.com/wishlist

(This quote was copied and pasted from eep's reply to "AW Profiles?" thread
started by Robbie in the same newsgroup on July 8th, 2004)

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

sw comit

Sep 13, 2004, 2:46am
Enabling features in Alphaworld doesn't belong in wishlist IMO...
Wishlist = neglected
Alphaworld = neglected

Talk about a bad combo :D

[View Quote]

legion

Sep 13, 2004, 4:56am
If only President Enzo will have to answer that..... *just wishes* ahh well.
:)

*wonders if there are Genie Lamp somewhere*

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Sep 13, 2004, 4:19pm
Only CTs can edit terrain so *noobs* couldn't do spikes anyway could they?

LNH

--
> 1: Terrain has a very far visibility. In AWTeen it is 800 meters I
believe.
> If some n00b makes a terrain spike, it isn't as simple as reducing the
> visibility to remove the ugliness.
> 2: Alpha World is huge, with over 4 billion cells. I'm not sure how much
of
> a strain it would be for a demeter bot to manage a world of such size.

johnf

Sep 13, 2004, 4:39pm
Perhaps have Demeter bots that each administer a given chunk (say 5000x5000)

John

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Sep 13, 2004, 7:11pm
Another excuse... terrain has no underside, while the current ground
object does.

[View Quote] > So far the only excuse i have seen as to why we cannot have it is because,
> it would cause Z buffering...However AW 3.5 added terrain offset, so couldnt
> they set the offset to -.005 and then it would be the same as their ground
> object.
>
> If not that they could make it below the ground object, and then allow a
> terrainbot (demeter) so we could raise it up, it would add, well, realism...

weizer

Sep 13, 2004, 7:46pm
Not with Demeter bot.

Weizer

"lady nighthawk" <dmurtagh27 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:4145e4ad at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Only CTs can edit terrain so *noobs* couldn't do spikes anyway could they?
>
> LNH
>

> --
> believe.
much
> of

jstone2004

Sep 14, 2004, 11:51am
Demeter responds to the placing of a certain object in order to edit the
terrain height accordingly, LNH, awteen runs demeter, if I'm not mistaken.
It's a very powerful tool, but in AW, I think it would get to be a little
bit hairy, not just because of the size, but how much of the world already
has objects covering it... I also know that when awteen is buy, demeter
can get a bit laggy, and AWTeen isn't nearly the size of AW in land size,
and often times not nearly in citizen amount either...

[View Quote] > Not with Demeter bot.

> Weizer
>
> "lady nighthawk" <dmurtagh27 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news:4145e4ad at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> much

c p

Sep 14, 2004, 7:55pm
where have you been the past few months.. demeter only gets laggy when
brants server is down :) and for the past few months awteen has been numebr
1 on the worlds list...

hmm, i;ve been in awteen more then usual, and saw it get buggy like 2 or 3
times, in 2 or 3 days.

-SWE

[View Quote]

c p

Sep 14, 2004, 10:23pm
yet again thats cuz brant 0_0 or cuz aws recent router thingy
[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 14, 2004, 10:57pm
lol, it always is during the summer :-) but then it fades once the school
year gets in full swing...

sw comit

Sep 14, 2004, 11:52pm
Well AWI has the power to sorta "integrate" demeter into the checking system
the server makes per object, so world size would be irrelevant. However if
they really were going to push to make terrain available to everyone, they
would probably do it without the use of objects that demeter requires.

[View Quote]

legion

Sep 15, 2004, 12:07am
Um, I doubt AWI ever used any products written or created by regular AW
citizens other than its own employee. I don't recall them using ImaBots
either, for example. Most of the bots I have seen being used by AWI were
from HamFon, a former employee of AWI (AWC then). Yes, I know, AWI did
approve the Demeter for AWTeen but that's all they did. They don't use it
directly in worlds such as worlds designed for corporations or others.
Neither do they use it in Alphaworld, whose does not have a caretaker but
rather AWI, a difference from AWTeen.

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

jerme

Sep 15, 2004, 11:10am
If my expirences with Demeter in AWTeen are any indication.... Demeter
would not handle such a world. It would be more of a headache than it's
really worth.

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 15, 2004, 1:22pm
You do know that many of the objects used in the normal AW path were
created by citizens, right? I am beginning to learn how to mess around
with rwx's, and when I was looking through the path, there were quite a
few names in the rwx denoting who made them, and there were definately not
AWI citizens :-)

"They don't use it directly in worlds such as worlds designed for
corporations or others."

And I am willing to bet the reason they don't use things their citizens
create for their own sales, is because that would be making money off of
someone else's work who is not getting paid... a very sticky legal
situation :-)

As for them not using it in AW, Alpha World in recent history has been
known to be a basic building world, without a lot of the options allowed
for other worlds. If you want to use demeter, then why not build in
awteen? :-)I believe they have all the objects and avatars used in AW, and
it would be easy to bot your build over if you found the space...

[View Quote] > Um, I doubt AWI ever used any products written or created by regular AW
> citizens other than its own employee. I don't recall them using ImaBots
> either, for example. Most of the bots I have seen being used by AWI were
> from HamFon, a former employee of AWI (AWC then). Yes, I know, AWI did
> approve the Demeter for AWTeen but that's all they did. They don't use it
> directly in worlds such as worlds designed for corporations or others.
> Neither do they use it in Alphaworld, whose does not have a caretaker but
> rather AWI, a difference from AWTeen.

legion

Sep 15, 2004, 9:16pm
But AWTeen is SMALL--! And plus they don't have same environment as
Alphaworld does, the very green land with nice background (old but nice) and
etc. Many folks prefer simple Alphaworld atmosphere along with expansiveness
of the world. In comparsion to other worlds, the range of difference between
Alphaworld and second largest world in the Active Worlds in terms of
distance or size is bound to be huge, so huge that you can't believe it.

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

c p

Sep 15, 2004, 10:26pm
we have mountains 0_0 go there more often...
[View Quote]

jstone2004

Sep 20, 2004, 3:12pm
Lol, awteen may be small... but if you refuse to build there for those
reasons, then why complain about not having terrain? The feature is
offered other places, so then the decision is yours as to where to build
:-)AWI is not bound to serve your comfortability to the last dot :-)

[View Quote] > But AWTeen is SMALL--! And plus they don't have same environment as