We are moving our servers!! // Sdk

1  |

calpantera

Mar 19, 2002, 8:12pm
In order to provide our customers with better service we will be moving most
of our servers to a new location over the next few weeks. During the next
few days some worlds and or universes may be temporarily unavailable while
they are stopped on the main server and started on the backup server. Once
we have the main server in the new location we will transfer the worlds and
universes back to the main server. Most of these moves will go unnoticed
except for the move of the world AW. This will require that all new building
be shut down for a day while the database is moved. This will take place on
Thursday 03/21/02 and AW should be back open to building sometime on
03/22/02. The move back to the main server will take place in the first
weeks of April, exact date to be announced later. As always if you have any
problems connecting to any of our services please send a detailed email to
support at activeworlds.com

Bill
Activeworlds Corp.

the joker ss o

Mar 19, 2002, 9:45pm
is there detailed information about when the AW universe or other universe
will be down , and for how long . Also if in the world AWTeen building will
be not available during the moving .

thx

"calpantera" <bill at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c97b7d9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> In order to provide our customers with better service we will be moving
most
> of our servers to a new location over the next few weeks. During the next
> few days some worlds and or universes may be temporarily unavailable while
> they are stopped on the main server and started on the backup server. Once
> we have the main server in the new location we will transfer the worlds
and
> universes back to the main server. Most of these moves will go unnoticed
> except for the move of the world AW. This will require that all new
building
> be shut down for a day while the database is moved. This will take place
on
> Thursday 03/21/02 and AW should be back open to building sometime on
> 03/22/02. The move back to the main server will take place in the first
> weeks of April, exact date to be announced later. As always if you have
any
> problems connecting to any of our services please send a detailed email to
> support at activeworlds.com
>
> Bill
> Activeworlds Corp.

dotar sojat

Mar 20, 2002, 4:15am
I notice they also will not tell anyone the area of the new servers.

Is that important, as long as the lines are good ?

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

calpantera

Mar 20, 2002, 11:44am
The universes will only be down for a short period on Friday, other worlds
besides AW will not have the building shut down, they will just go off line
over the next few days. Some of the larger worlds such as AWteen will be
offline longer than others.

Bill

[View Quote]

chickengurl

Mar 20, 2002, 11:46am
it wont be hard to find out, lol

[View Quote]

calpantera

Mar 20, 2002, 11:59am
We are more than happy to say. All you had to do was ask. :) The new
location is in Boston and is going to be fed bandwidth by Internap
http://www.internap.com They will be providing us with two 100mbps feeds
intelligently routed through 9 backbone carriers. We anticipate better
connectivity worldwide for world servers as well as end clients. Please
visit their website for more information on their P-NAPSM.

Bill

2 100mbps lines? thats alot of internet lol, dont u think thats too much? :)
[View Quote]

calpantera

Mar 20, 2002, 4:19pm
We host alot more than just the AW universe. The actual usage is alot less
but at times may spike very high. The reason for the two connects is for
redundancy.

Bill

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 20, 2002, 4:23pm
:-(

[View Quote]

calpantera

Mar 20, 2002, 4:30pm
Don't be sad Dion, AWteen has already been moved and it didn't hurt a bit.
:)

Bill

[View Quote]

the joker ss o

Mar 20, 2002, 5:27pm
it is all for the good :)

"
calpantera" <bill at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c98d55d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Don't be sad Dion, AWteen has already been moved and it didn't hurt a bit.
> :)
>
> Bill

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 20, 2002, 5:56pm
It's already moved and I didn't notice it down? 0_o That's not normal, LOL
:-D

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Mar 20, 2002, 6:21pm
Thanks for the info on the move. Now AWGate and AWTeen will have alot of
peeps. lol. About user owned worlds do they immediatly get moved without
being noticed?

--
Come to news://kahnews.cjb.net/misc.NG3000
To have fun and enjoy. Theme is misc.

dion

Mar 20, 2002, 6:37pm
Does AW host many user-owned worlds?

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Mar 20, 2002, 6:47pm
No I mean will our user hosted worlds stay up?

--
Come to news://kahnews.cjb.net/misc.NG3000
To have fun and enjoy. Theme is misc.
And CarLBanks owns the NG.
[View Quote]

dion

Mar 20, 2002, 6:56pm
Yeh, I don't see why they would go down. Only reason other worlds are going
down is because hosting has to stop while transferring to the new server.

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Mar 20, 2002, 10:38pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] I also have to wonder if this is behind the reason a mysterious bot named
[M1] appeared on AW GZ and started kicking everyone out (including Customs
Aide) left and right last night. Hmm.....Why do I have this feeling.....

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://home.talkcity.com/MinivanAve/patrick32/

P.S.: While you guys are at Bill, you guys should SERIOUSLY look at
UPDATING THE MAPPER at http://mapper.activeworlds.com/ February 2000 is a
*little* OUT OF DATE, dontcha think????? :-)

joeman

Mar 20, 2002, 10:54pm
No, someone hacked the Peacekeeper account, or, a peacekeeper went nuts.
Who knows, but, why would someone move their servers somewhere else because
a password got hacked? Think!

-Joe

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Mar 20, 2002, 10:59pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] So, given the size of AW and the number of builds, cities, towns, etc., just
how long of a down time are we looking at here (roughly speaking)??

Also, there's a concern that any move of AWcom would result in more fees.
So, I'm asking. WILL prices be raised??? Will there be any additional fees
stemming from this move???

Let's get this all out on the table Bill....

Respectfully Posted,

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
AW 5000N 268E
Pub 102X 3D Homepage
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
http://home.talkcity.com/MinivanAve/patrick32/

P.S.: Will ANY Tourist builds (regardless of size) be deleted????

pc hamster

Mar 20, 2002, 11:05pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] They host all those 3D Homepages, which are, in their own way, little worlds
themselves if that's what you're asking....

Patrick

uh, he said about a day's downtime for AW...