Inflated User Numbers (Community)

Inflated User Numbers // Community

1  |

the lady

Jan 24, 2004, 2:38am
There is a problem with inflated user numbers when looking on the worlds
list. It's something that a few people know how to manipulate. This needs
to be fixed. Is anyone able to do this or is this another bold abuse?

The Lady
thelady263414 at hotmail.com

cc: abuse at activeworlds.com

PS I have told KeithB about this concern and asked him to look into it. He
said he would ask a few people.

mod

Jan 24, 2004, 2:40am
as long as a world server is hosted on someones comp, they can always do it,
but at least it can only be inflated to the worlds natural user limit,
remember the nekranox incident :P

-M

Jan 24, 2004, 2:45am
I loved the Nekranox incident, that was fun.

ry

Jan 24, 2004, 5:16am
Is that when the world had like...... over 1000 in it? lol

--

Ry
Citizen#: 323710

leaf

Jan 24, 2004, 9:02am
I believe it was something like 340000 users - I can't quite remember

[View Quote]

leaf

Jan 24, 2004, 9:04am
Typo there, I meant 34000
Sorry
:)

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jan 24, 2004, 9:05am
There can't be more than 65535 users in the universe at the same time.

[View Quote]

jetta lewis

Jan 24, 2004, 9:46am
Not going to mention any names here, but when this one particular world came
online with an owner who was later asking ppl to send money to help keep the
world running and did a bit of complaining in the ng, I noticed that it came
online and suddenly jumped from 1 to 11 users. This was its birthday and
being curious I zipped on in and there were 10 bots walking in a square
around gz. At first I didn't realize they were bots and went yoohoo with no
answer..Then up came the owner and I asked if he was artifically inflating
his world numbers because at that time it was a small world and we were the
only ones left. Well my son, he got all huffy and let. And lo and behold the
bots started "talking" to each other...It was so funny! Later the world
owner said that it was his business if he wanted to inflate the number of
users...LOL...be willing to be a dollar to a doughnut hole that its still
happening.

Jan 24, 2004, 11:10am
"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:4011f6a8 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> There is a problem with inflated user numbers when looking on the
> worlds list. It's something that a few people know how to manipulate.
> This needs to be fixed. Is anyone able to do this or is this another
> bold abuse?
>
> The Lady
> thelady263414 at hotmail.com
>
> cc: abuse at activeworlds.com
>

> PS I have told KeithB about this concern and asked him to look into
> it. He said he would ask a few people.

"Bold abuse"? What the hell does that mean? The Lady, in what way would
somewhat inflated user counts make any difference to you? As long as it's
not way over the top, like the NekraNox incident, nobody will even notice.
You need to get a grip, badly.

KAH

the lady

Jan 24, 2004, 11:17am
I thought bots weren't suppose to make that number rise. There needs to be
accurate user number count for AWI public worlds.

I understand that owner's view about inflating numbers in his world being
his business. However, it could be used in ways that are manipulative, a
world contest for example, plus it is not good business practice, also for
statistical purposes for the company, one would think they would want this
issue fixed regarding private and public worlds.

[View Quote]

robbie

Jan 24, 2004, 11:23am
Not quite, highest it got to was 15000, it would of got to 65535 if it
hadn't of been maxing out the servers bandwidth.

http://awnews.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=200&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

-Robbie

[View Quote]

johnf

Jan 24, 2004, 3:35pm
SF, if the world server was simply memory hacked, it doesn't matter about
the user limit on the univ

~John

[View Quote]

starfleet

Jan 24, 2004, 3:53pm
It does when the user count is limited to a 2-byte value.

[View Quote]

paul

Jan 25, 2004, 12:57am
Bots don't affect the user count anymore.

Paul