Increase AlphaWorld's cell limit (Community)

Increase AlphaWorld's cell limit // Community

1  |

ferruccio

Dec 14, 2003, 5:51am
People's computers aren't ancient anymore, and it doesn't look like people
are suffering in AWTeen due to their large cell limit (and they have all
those high-poly custom objects, so if AW had a large cell limit, it would be
a lot less laggy than AWTeen). Give AlphaWorld a large cell limit.

dzap

Dec 14, 2003, 8:12am
"ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:3fdc167b$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com
> People's computers aren't ancient anymore, and it doesn't look like
> people are suffering in AWTeen due to their large cell limit (and
> they have all those high-poly custom objects, so if AW had a large
> cell limit, it would be a lot less laggy than AWTeen). Give
> AlphaWorld a large cell limit.

The world database is "ancient" and has a hard limit on size and if
reached there can be no more building. Alpha's vastness makes this a
risk and that's why bot building is forbidden and nothing will ever be
added to the world.

ferruccio

Dec 14, 2003, 5:17pm
then it's time they improve it.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Dec 14, 2003, 11:02pm
I never knew bot building was forbidden. How could they catch them anyway?

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Dec 14, 2003, 11:04pm
Oh and sorry for the double reply... forgot to mention this... but the
AlphaWorld world server is the latest server just like any other AWI
world. So the ancient world database could just be converted *if that is
even necessary*, but I can't see why it should be...

[View Quote] > "ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net> skrev i meddelandet
> news:3fdc167b$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com
>

> The world database is "ancient" and has a hard limit on size and if
> reached there can be no more building. Alpha's vastness makes this a
> risk and that's why bot building is forbidden and nothing will ever be
> added to the world.

xelag

Dec 15, 2003, 12:42am
[View Quote] >I never knew bot building was forbidden. How could they catch them anyway?

In some worlds it is. It's not clear to me in which of the AW
official open building worlds this rule applies (it may be in the help
pages), but the reason is simple: people were using bots to cover
large stretches of land, and this happened even before SDK bots were
invented (using keyboard bots). The world database was increasing at
an incredible rate.

If I'm not mistaken, AlphaWorld does not allow bots to build, for the
reason mentioned above, but I think that if a bot simply builds a
normal amount, for example for a game or to move your objects etc, or
changes sings, which is also building technically, you would not get
into trouble. The main thing is to respect the intentions of the
owners of the world. If the area covered is acceptable, then I don't
think anyone will bother (I may be wrong, ask support at activeworlds.com
if you really want to know).

If you know how to look, you can catch bot building. Bots build at a
very fast rate, so an area where many objects have a similar timestamp
is a giveaway.

Alex

rossyboy

Dec 15, 2003, 5:49pm
Uh huh. But if there are people who can cover a reasonable (not large)
area of land using a bot, they should be allowed to do that... maybe
instead of just a plain "no bot building" rule they could have set limits.

I know I would prefer to cover my land using a bot than doing it all by
hand...

[View Quote] [View Quote]

mongo

Dec 15, 2003, 8:36pm
Multiple select then duplicate gives you the capability right within the
browser to cover land almost as quickly as with a bot. I practiced on this
right after the feature came available, getting ready for the Oklahoma land
rush in WildAW (A now pretty dead world, by the way).

[View Quote]

xelag

Dec 15, 2003, 9:50pm
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with AW policy on this. The fact was,
at a certain time, that the world object database was increasing
because of bot building activity almost exponentially (that even
before SDK bots existed). Different solutions could be found for
this. Banning bot building activity is one of them, although frankly
I don't think it helps at all.

Like too, the banning of bots in Atlantis seems to me pointless: I
left all my builds in Atlantis, which were made by hand and with a lot
of care and love, in the times Hambots were allowed when the SDK still
did not exist. My bots were my companions there, but I left Atlantis
forever when the SDK appeared and bots were banned there. Never to
return until bot banning is lifted. That is my choice, the world
owner's choice is just as valid.

Alex

[View Quote] >Uh huh. But if there are people who can cover a reasonable (not large)
>area of land using a bot, they should be allowed to do that... maybe
>instead of just a plain "no bot building" rule they could have set limits.
>
>I know I would prefer to cover my land using a bot than doing it all by
>hand...

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Dec 15, 2003, 10:15pm
Awwh you said companions... if you had said friends I could have made
fun of you...

[View Quote] > I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with AW policy on this. The fact was,
> at a certain time, that the world object database was increasing
> because of bot building activity almost exponentially (that even
> before SDK bots existed). Different solutions could be found for
> this. Banning bot building activity is one of them, although frankly
> I don't think it helps at all.
>
> Like too, the banning of bots in Atlantis seems to me pointless: I
> left all my builds in Atlantis, which were made by hand and with a lot
> of care and love, in the times Hambots were allowed when the SDK still
> did not exist. My bots were my companions there, but I left Atlantis
> forever when the SDK appeared and bots were banned there. Never to
> return until bot banning is lifted. That is my choice, the world
> owner's choice is just as valid.
>
> Alex

[View Quote]

xelag

Dec 16, 2003, 1:44am
Thanks, friend. I hope you enjoy the bots I made for you and others,
with a lot of patience and making fun of no one.

Alex

[View Quote] >Awwh you said companions... if you had said friends I could have made
>fun of you...

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Dec 16, 2003, 1:46am
[View Quote] > Thanks, friend. I hope you enjoy the bots I made for you and others,
> with a lot of patience and making fun of no one.

I think he meant to make fun of some sort of multiple personality
disorder thing if the bots were your friend or something. But.. yeah I
don't know.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideajuice.

ferruccio

Dec 16, 2003, 4:46am
So, what about AW's cell limit? It's what.. a 70% increase on the number of
bytes allowed per cell, and how many people have we lost after the price
hikes? I think it will even out (since people will still be building the
same number of objects per day, with a cell limit restriction or not)
anyway, alphaworld is the flagship world of active worlds, they should
improve the database if it is too fragile to handle a large cell limit. All
it would do at most is just.. add twice as many objects per year? Surely
that can be dealt with..

pc hamster

Dec 16, 2003, 5:49am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] that HUGE row of arches about 10-15 miles East of Hamsterville would fit
this description. Intertown Highway 3 runs along both sides of it,
depending on where you're at.

> If I'm not mistaken, AlphaWorld does not allow bots to build, for the
> reason mentioned above, but I think that if a bot simply builds a
> normal amount, for example for a game or to move your objects etc, or
> changes sings, which is also building technically, you would not get
> into trouble.

Last time I checked, the ONLY rules I know of concerning bots on AlphaWorld
were 1). They had to be registered with AWI and 2). They couldn't be
withing 20 meters IN ANY DIRECTION of Ground Zero. But i could be mistaken
too. :-)

> If you know how to look, you can catch bot building. Bots build at a
> very fast rate, so an area where many objects have a similar timestamp
> is a giveaway.

However this can be VERY deceiving. As someone who's built several highways
on AlphaWorld, I would sometimes lay down nearly a hundred pieces of road
objects if the area I was in was desolate and empty. Do i use a bot? NO.
I build the roads myself.

Cheers for now & Happy Holidays :-)

PC Hamster
Mayor - City Of Hamsterville
Hamster Ground Zero Area - AW 5000N 272E
NEW WEBSITE - http://hamsterville.tripod.com/
pchamster at comcast.net
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

---

xelag

Dec 16, 2003, 10:40am
On 16 Dec 2003 02:49:43 -0500, "pc hamster" <pchamster at comcast.net>
[View Quote] >However this can be VERY deceiving. As someone who's built several highways
>on AlphaWorld, I would sometimes lay down nearly a hundred pieces of road
>objects if the area I was in was desolate and empty. Do i use a bot? NO.
>I build the roads myself.

If you do this by hand, without a bot, the timestamp of the objects
will be half a second of a few seconds apart, if you are fast: it will
take you a while to do it. If a bot does this, the difference in
timestamp will be milliseconds apart, or be the same for a group of
objects: a bot can build very fast.

Alex

rossyboy

Dec 16, 2003, 4:18pm
More like when someone emails themselves because they feel lonely :¬)
but Xela said companion not friend...

and I do enjoy the bots O_O

[View Quote] [View Quote]

ferruccio

Dec 16, 2003, 8:34pm
how does this all relate to AW's cell limit? the database needs to be
updated.. or something needs to be updated, so that AW can have a large cell
limit with no problems at all
[View Quote]

sw comit

Dec 18, 2003, 10:41pm
> The world database is "ancient" and has a hard limit on size and if
> reached there can be no more building. Alpha's vastness makes this a
> risk and that's why bot building is forbidden and nothing will ever be
> added to the world.

Well it's not like setting it to large is going to instantly explode the
hard drive with new data. It has to be built first. I don't see your
logic...

Reasons why I think it's a good idea:

1. The objects take the space, and the people are still going to be
building at the same pace they always do - placing objects on many cells, or
many objects on few cells in an allotted amount of time, it's still the
same.

2. The cell limits were designed in the mid-late 90's back in the quarter
GHz computers. Now we're at 3 ghz. I remember back then, a slightly dense
area would yield about 30-50m vis. Today. the same area could be done at
200m vis, and a very dense area now would be about 60m vis. That's on my
computer, which isn't what I'd consider top of the line. It's pretty
middle-of-the-line.

3. Lagging yourself by overdeveloping is your own undoing and you must
learn how to build efficiently if you plan on building dense, just like you
have to learn other things in various areas of building.

4. Or, perhaps the biggest reason why AWI doesn't like this idea...Right
when the prices hikes happened I talked to Flagg. And eventually we somehow
got around to talking about Alphaworld's cell limit. He said it wouldn't
happen because of *other people* causing unwanted lag to people just looking
around, perhaps potential costumers who would be turned off by the poor
performance. This is completely not valid anymore. In my case, anyone
looking at my work is either A). A friend B.) already registered C.) a
friend of a friend who, if really lagged that bad, could just leave. It's
not like anyone here has loads of strangers looking through their build lol.

5. Also, less relevant of a point, more and more people are on broadband
now. I'd say a majority of AW is on broadband from what I hear O_o

6. Oh yea, and I don't think the AW conservatists are against this are
they? I mean, they could still build at the same density if they wanted to
=P