Can we get an explanation on AWmapper? (Community)

Can we get an explanation on AWmapper? // Community

1  |

sw comit

Jul 1, 2003, 7:51pm
Hopefully ENZO or someone can answer this in a little bit more detail than
simply "not enough room". Maybe then someone can offer some assistance
cause right now I haven't heard any clear answer on what the problem is. I
know a lot of people who depended on AWmapper, and suddenly *poof* it's gone
without much of a reason... Another Alphaworld feature lost after the
price hikes. How ironic.

- SW Comit

ryan

Jul 1, 2003, 8:03pm
I agree. The least AWI could do is post a full and complete explanation
at the mapper.activeworlds.com site instead of absolutely nothing except
a 404 link, ya know? I know the mapper was useful and I've used it
myself before, and it's a big disappointment to see it just vanish like
that.

Ryan

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jul 1, 2003, 8:05pm
Yeah we are paying 350% the 2001 yearly price, and we are getting nothing
more or better in alphaworld, except for coronas and a few new objects? And
still, that was 18 months ago.

ferruccio

Jul 1, 2003, 8:13pm
It would be nice to see some kind of statement on the
mapper.activeworlds.com page. It's like leaving without saying "bye".

the lady

Jul 1, 2003, 8:38pm
The explanation given to me from them was it was too much work the way the
current updating is done. They would consider future hosting if an easier
way could be found to update.

[View Quote]

john

Jul 1, 2003, 9:03pm
Why is it imposible for them to make a program that auto-reads the cell.dat
files for AW every month and then auto-generates an image.

I mean if the problem was the time it takes to make a propdump, why make a
propdump? Just re-program it to read a cell file! Lol!

~John

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jul 1, 2003, 9:06pm
Too much work? AWI doesn't even do the work. The last I saw on AWmapper
news was "still waiting for AW to send propdump". Pieter, I think his name
was, did it on his computer, and AWI hosted the finished work.

Even if AWI did do the work, as far as I know from the "about AW mapper"
page, it took about 3 days and was mostly an automated process anyway. Well,
if that's indeed the real reason, that's just fueling the fire. As said,
we're paying more money, and they do less work? O_o

[View Quote]

shred

Jul 2, 2003, 1:18am
Sadly, I doubt you'll be getting much cooperation from E N Z O. He destroyed years worth of posts in the newsgroups trying to delete a single post that he didn't like, and all he has to say for it is "Erm... woops! Sorry about that! Won't happen again." There are enough users around here with a cache of all the old posts to assemble a web archive of some sort, but not many people (E N Z O included) seem to care.

Now with my own rant out of the way:

Get enough people to e-mail (but not flame) AWI about the mapper, and eventually they may feel enough pressure to issue a response. I doubt that you'll get the Mapper itself back, but an official explanation would be better than nothing.

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Jul 2, 2003, 2:38am
Too late, AWI went back into their ivory tower. And for [bleep]'s sake put
the feature vote online!

-CMM

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jul 2, 2003, 4:41am
Yep, the mapper's mysteriously back up. I guess this will remain a mystery
too all of us paying customers.

shred

Jul 2, 2003, 5:42am
Guess they didn't want to be thought consistent or something ;-)

Anyway, thanks AWI.

we.... lost.... the.... newsgroups....????

bluebean

Jul 2, 2003, 6:39pm
YAY the mapper page is up again. This feature was what attracted me to AW in
the first place. I love maps, I loved to explore Alphaworld with the help of
the mapper. Now, can we hope to get, after one year delay or so, a new
update?

bluebean

"sw comit" <swcomit at swcity.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3f020244 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hopefully ENZO or someone can answer this in a little bit more detail than
> simply "not enough room". Maybe then someone can offer some assistance
> cause right now I haven't heard any clear answer on what the problem is.
> know a lot of people who depended on AWmapper, and suddenly *poof* it's
gone
> without much of a reason... Another Alphaworld feature lost after the
> price hikes. How ironic.
>
> - SW Comit

shred

Jul 2, 2003, 9:01pm
We lost all posts previous to April 27th or close to it. Check the thread 'Newsgroups post lost?' posted by Baron on 6/25/2003. If you're still seeing the old posts, then the headers and/or message bodies are probably still in your cache.

[View Quote]

baron

Jul 3, 2003, 5:43am
In article <3f036445 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, shred at myrealbox.com
says...
> We lost all posts previous to April 27th or close to it. Check the thread 'Newsgroups post lost?' posted by Baron on 6/25/2003. If you're still seeing the old posts, then the headers and/or message bodies are probably still in your cache.

[View Quote] --
../B

Bollocks.. these NG's had so much history of AW, and we lost it all.. WTG
whoever balls that 1 up :(