Backdrop messed up with DirectX 8 (Community)

Backdrop messed up with DirectX 8 // Community

1  |

just in

Jun 8, 2002, 8:45am
I tried switch video mode from DirectX 7 to DirectX 8, with a resulting
framerate of almost double what I was getting previously. The downside is
the backdrop is screwing up in any world with a backdrop of any average or
longer width. It appears not to be able to figure out how to render the
back drop in the full circle around... leaving a gap that appears and
disappears depending on where I am facing... and squashing the image in or
out as I turn in a circle.

Anyone else have this and found a solution?

Using ATI Rage Fury Pro, 32 Meg Ram.

--
Regards, Justin

maki

Jun 8, 2002, 6:37pm
:O I'm still using dx7 because when I used dx8 the backdrops just didnt look
good, especially like awteen's backdrops, looked all weird fuzzy and out of
color, oh well, dx7 works fine o_O

--
maki [www.awmaki.com ... almost]

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Jun 10, 2002, 5:05am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] How fast is your CPU Justin??? Also, which version of WinBloze are you
running???

I have DirectX 8.0 on my Pentium 166 with Win98 (original edition) and I'm
not noticing any difference between 3.2 and 3.3 aside from the faster
framerate. :-)

Also, are the world you were in 3.3 enabled???? I know for a fact that,
unless they've changed it since the middle of last week, AlphaWorld *isn't*
on that list.

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

maki

Jun 11, 2002, 1:49am
Miss a 0 on your speed you? O_o

--
maki [www.awmaki.com]

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 11, 2002, 2:27am
No, think he saved it for the word SLOOOOW..... as in puter ;O) P166 ?
sheesh... that must HURT :O/

just in

Jun 11, 2002, 12:44pm
PII 300 MMX, 128 Meg RAM, Win98SE...

I went to AlphaWorld, Broadway, and AWSchool, where the screwy backdrops all
show.

The backdrop in BluPearl did not screw up, and I know the backdrop there is
a lot shorter than average.

By the lack of responses on other people having the same problem, I think
the problem is iscolated to my video card, and I guess I will have to heed
the warning given in the Video setting for DX8 "not recommended for older
cards" :o( - unless someone has some bright ideas?

Regards, Justin

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Jun 11, 2002, 2:48pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Yeah it does (feeling the smarts :-)), which is why I'm getting an upgrade
this summer which will include normal video, 3D graphics, a Sound Blaster,
etc., etc., etc.

I'm anticipating that it will be AT LEAST a 2.5 GB CPU. :-))))) If THAT
ain't fast enough, I dunno WHAT is.... :-) *LOL!*

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

.matt.

Jun 14, 2002, 6:45pm
I'm having the same problem http://www.dalmationnet.com/aw1.jpg. I emailed
support at activeworlds.com and they said it may be a result of my video card
not having enough RAM...

533 MHz, AMD-K6, 6 MB Trident Blade3D/MVP4 (63), 192 MB of RAM, Windows 98
SE

".matt." <xXoOMattOoXx at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3d0a55ed at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm having the same problem http://www.dalmationnet.com/aw1.jpg. I
> emailed support at activeworlds.com and they said it may be a result of
> my video card not having enough RAM...
>
> 533 MHz, AMD-K6, 6 MB Trident Blade3D/MVP4 (63), 192 MB of RAM,
> Windows 98 SE

I recommend you buy a vid card with at least 32MB memory, and I personally
recommend the GeForce series (you can get a GF2 really cheap now).

None of it is messed up for me with my uber video card with 4.4 mb's of ram!

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

.matt.

Jun 15, 2002, 5:47pm
I tried to upgrade and have the local computer store install a 32 MB card
but they said they couldn't get it to work! Piece of junk integrated card.