3.3: First Impressions (Community)

3.3: First Impressions // Community

1  |

barbarae

Jun 7, 2002, 6:48am
Alright, these are really not my very first impressions of 3.3, if you
consider the posts I've written about the troubles with the seq's. But here
are a few other things I'd like to mention:

I think, for me, so far, the one feature I like the best is the new ability
to move or rotate an object along all three axis on the fly! I've been
using this feature quite a bit in the last few days in my most recent build!
Aside from rearranging rocks, and getting them at odd angles, it's no
longer necessary to figure out or look up which floor goes with which wall!
If you put up a panel or wall, and want to have a matching floor, all you
have to do is just flip that panel or wall to the horizontal, and you've got
a match! (Or vice versa, of course) Oh yes, something else I'll have to
check out --you know how the vertical panel won't always match the
floor --even with the same texture? Well, I think, now you'll be able to
get a perfect match!! (Correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

I've played around a little with the Terrain a little. I've even tried to
develop a grassy texture similar to the one I use in my regular ground
object --and have come close. I think eventually this feature will
eventually change the face of AW as we know it! I actually felt the power
of creation as I lifted up hills and created valleys!!!

But, alas, I don't think I'll be using it regularly (now don't hold me to
this) for awhile! I found that (and should have remembered) with the
Terrain on, the illusion of unlimited ground beyond the boundary of My
Amberlin was gone! And even if I cant' walk out there, it still gives me
the illusion of wide open spaces!! So, at least for the present, until
AWCom let's us have that illusion back with the Terrain, I may not use it
regularly. Or am I wrong, is it impossible to have those "Lands Beyond The
Boundaries" with the Terrain??? If so, then it's a sad compromise. I'll
have to think some more on this one.

Oh, yes, I just tried out the Coronas--and have seen them used already in va
rious places. Now, I can definitely see the possibilities with these lovely
creations! But you know what, I've been seeing "coronas" for years while
outside at night--with my astigmatism!! :)) But not as varied or beautiful
as these may be.

I believe that once the bugs that have crippled our seq's have been taken
care of, we will enjoy our avatars even more! I'm also looking forward to
the "skinned avatars" that I've been hearing about.

Well, that's about it for now. The end of June will be six months since
I've immigrated from The Palace (still am a member, still have a palace). I
haven't regretted for one second coming back to AW! It has improved greatly
over the 5 or 6 years while I was gone! I do hope that whatever troubles
there may be, that ActiveWorlds will survive and continue to grow for years
to come!! I've made some new friends, renewed old, and now in the process
of creating a new home for myself and my friends here in AW.

One woman's thoughts...

Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbarae

absolute monarch

Jun 7, 2002, 9:40pm
I have seen the new rotation around all 3-Axis, but it's really a shame
Alphaworld doesn't allow it!

the derek

Jun 7, 2002, 10:39pm
you can have a ground AND a terrain, so you can have that unlimited look
too. and you can also use coronas for headlights on cars :D
[View Quote]

barbarae

Jun 8, 2002, 2:20am
How can you have both on? When I've had both on, my ground shimmers like
when you have 2 or more pieces overlapping! brrrrr... What's your trick?

Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbarae

[View Quote]

johnny b

Jun 8, 2002, 2:41am
It will Barbara, until you either raise or lower the individual terrain
cells in relation to the ground object. see, flat default terrain is at the
same level as a traditional ground object... kind of like when you overlap
two floor or walk panels... they're both at the same "altitude"

Hope this helps.... :O)

JB

glitter kitty

Jun 8, 2002, 2:59am
lower your ground object to 0.01 and make it the same texture and surface as
the terrain is at 0.00a. If it still shows, lower the ground object a bit
more

Glitter

[View Quote]

barbarae

Jun 8, 2002, 6:00am
But how do you actually lower your ground object? There's nothing in
Features about it, and I'm at a complete loss as to how to do it! (Now to
try to find that grass I want so badly!)

Thanks to you all!
Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbarae

[View Quote]

barbarae

Jun 8, 2002, 6:37am
Excuse me again---are you talking about lowering the entire ground
object--worldwide--at the same time? If so, how?

Barbara of Amberlin

[View Quote]

grimble

Jun 8, 2002, 7:52am
Glitter Kitty means to lower the height of the plane in the RWX itself -
basically reduce the second argument (the Y-component of the 3D point) in
all the vertex commands by the amount you want to drop it by (0.01 is a good
place to start as GK said).

If you're not into RWX's, its a good little starter for you, but I'm sure
someone will help you if you send them the ground object in question.

Grims

"barbarae" <barbeisner at msn.com> wrote in
news:3d01860b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> How can you have both on? When I've had both on, my ground shimmers
> like when you have 2 or more pieces overlapping! brrrrr... What's
> your trick?

They are overlapping indeed, because the faces are at the same location.
You can use a bot like the one Bowen posted in the Worldbuilders newsgroup
to lower the entire terrain a bit so it doesn't overlap. Click here to see
Bowen's post: news://3cfa4ad0 at server1.Activeworlds.com

KAH

the derek

Jun 8, 2002, 9:53pm
you do it in the object file. imthederek at yahoo.com send me the ground file
and i can do it for you :D (it has to be flat-im not too good of an object
maker)