3.3 Feature list (Community)

3.3 Feature list // Community

1  2  |

zeo toxion

May 9, 2002, 8:51pm
Looked over the official 3.3 feature list at <
http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw33/aw33.html > which has some new
features I haven't heard about in other sources (newsletter, etc) like the
search tab and keywords, ejection enhancements, gz modification, etc....

I can say that I am happy of these LONG (very long) awaited improvements
although there are a few important things I think they left out and should
have been included (maybe more op security features I've mentioned before
for example where it wouldn't say the ops url in building errors and cache
enhancements maybe)

Although I'm not exactly sure that this can make up for everything and bring
everyone back it's definitely a good step in the right direction, let's just
keep it keeps going this way :)

Anyways, what do you think, any comments, etc.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

dion

May 9, 2002, 9:31pm
I'm wondering how well this slide detection is going to work. For weird
shaped objects it might bounce you around strangely...

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 9, 2002, 9:37pm
actually it said for complex objects youll just stick to it like it is now.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

dion

May 9, 2002, 9:57pm
alright, that's good :-)

[View Quote]

carlbanks

May 9, 2002, 10:54pm
Yay! New AV Engine. Tho last time I checked it was 410 man AWCom updated
their browser quickly.

[View Quote]

brant

May 10, 2002, 1:22am
Back in January, when the prices were raised, I, like everyone else, took a
"wait and see" attitude. Even though Roland didn't respond to my E-Mails
about the negative number of objects in a world
(http://www.shoemakervillage.org/serverbug.JPG), I assume this was because
he's busy with 3.3 debugging. If you looked, you'll notice that a new beta
version was even released between 6:00 and 9:00pm, which means that at least
one person is working pretty hard (and late) on this one.

The feature lists in this version would even impress Eep, if he was still
around (which he fortunately isn't) - perhaps the price increases changed
the emphasis in AW's development to the user instead of the "corporate
partners." This release even includes improved security in ejections, which
I feel has been by far the most lacking aspect of the browser - this will
save AW (as well as myself, the peacekeepers, and every other world
caretaker) a heck of a lot of trouble in dealing with pranksters.

Did anyone else notice, however, that the feature list for 3.3 has been
growing longer and longer immediately before its release? It's as if ENZO
or Roland or someone else decided that everything important should be put in
version 3.3 before it's released. Don't look at me - I'm not complaining -
but it's a lot different than things have been before.

Unlike Goober King, I never had any doubt that AW would be around at least
for a while - my concern was what state the universe would be in after a few
months. That still remains to be seen, but the features in 3.3 are a step
in the right direction.

[View Quote]

dotar sojat

May 10, 2002, 2:48am
It will bounce you around no stranger than the same thing does in Quake.

[View Quote]

dion

May 10, 2002, 3:16am
agreed 100% :-)

The new features are great and all, but there's one thing you seem to be
forgetting:

These features were decided on *before* AWC raised their prices!

Remember that "Feature Vote" oh so long ago? The result of that was the
3.3 Feature List, which was posted as soon as development on AW 3.3
began... back in *November*! So this has been old news for some time
now, yet you seem to think AWC is finally "stepping in the right
direction". They had already taken that step long ago, only to take five
steps backwards immediately afterwards.

Frankly, if AWC had left it at the 3.3 Feature List, or at least didn't
turn their price hike into the debacle that it was, I would still have
all the faith in the world in AWC and would be singing their praises
right now. But instead, these features come as being too little, too
late to undo all the damage they have wraught. As far as I'm concerned,
it won't be until 3.4 rolls around (if it ever does) until I might be
able to have some faith in them again.

They always said 3.3 could be the last version of AW ever released...

[View Quote] > Back in January, when the prices were raised, I, like everyone else, took a
> "wait and see" attitude. Even though Roland didn't respond to my E-Mails
> about the negative number of objects in a world
> (http://www.shoemakervillage.org/serverbug.JPG), I assume this was because
> he's busy with 3.3 debugging. If you looked, you'll notice that a new beta
> version was even released between 6:00 and 9:00pm, which means that at least
> one person is working pretty hard (and late) on this one.
>
> The feature lists in this version would even impress Eep, if he was still
> around (which he fortunately isn't) - perhaps the price increases changed
> the emphasis in AW's development to the user instead of the "corporate
> partners." This release even includes improved security in ejections, which
> I feel has been by far the most lacking aspect of the browser - this will
> save AW (as well as myself, the peacekeepers, and every other world
> caretaker) a heck of a lot of trouble in dealing with pranksters.
>
> Did anyone else notice, however, that the feature list for 3.3 has been
> growing longer and longer immediately before its release? It's as if ENZO
> or Roland or someone else decided that everything important should be put in
> version 3.3 before it's released. Don't look at me - I'm not complaining -
> but it's a lot different than things have been before.
>
> Unlike Goober King, I never had any doubt that AW would be around at least
> for a while - my concern was what state the universe would be in after a few
> months. That still remains to be seen, but the features in 3.3 are a step
> in the right direction.

Amazing how quickly people forget...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

pc hamster

May 10, 2002, 5:24am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Not to mention the least of which, you could have a MAJOR problem if you
were to find yourself going through a door or other gateway, only to find
yourself in an EVEN WORSE position than you started out with in the first
place!!

A few times going through MrOwl's builds in my town as well as a few others
on AlphaWorld taught me that lesson (although I *still* sometimes find
myself appearing as though I were LOST IN MY OWN TOWN while going through
MrOwl's builds. :-) *LOL!* I'm sure he's LHAO :-)).

But anyhow...It will be interesting to see just how WELL this "Slide
Detection" thingie works....

Just my $.02 worth....Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

dion

May 10, 2002, 5:26am
They said that if the prices were hiked (this was when it was not yet
officially hiked) that 3.3 would not be the last version. They also said
that if prices weren't hiked, 3.3 would be the very last version because
they simply could not afford to upgrade any longer. The move to hike prices
so drastically seems so dumb to me that it just can't be. I think there's
some idea behind this that we're missing.

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 10, 2002, 5:55am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Yeah....Question is though - For HOW LONG??? With AWcom's current budget,
it certainly can't be very long IMHO...

> The feature lists in this version would even impress Eep, if he was still
> around (which he fortunately isn't) - perhaps the price increases changed
> the emphasis in AW's development to the user instead of the "corporate
> partners."

This should have been AW's PRIORITY objective FROM DAY ONE rather than
throwing together some "virtual mall" which I doubt very many people even
knew EXISTED (let alone WENT TO) and thinking they'd just get dirty freakin'
"filthy rich" off that "mall" (yeah right! Makes me wonder just how many
bridges they're bartering on eBay) while treating US - THEIR USERS like the
CRAP we've been "treated to" over the past several months (Granted some
people more so and longer than others, but still).

This is EXACTGLY why I continue to boast about Live365 because THEY *know*
where they'd be without their users. That is OUT OF BUSINESS & IN DEBT
PAYING OFF LEGAL BILLS!!!

And if AWcom doesn't watch it, THEY will be "out of business" *themselves*
before long (And AW only has to worry about NetBroadcaster.com being exposed
to the CARP).

This release even includes improved security in ejections, which
> I feel has been by far the most lacking aspect of the browser - this will
> save AW (as well as myself, the peacekeepers, and every other world
> caretaker) a heck of a lot of trouble in dealing with pranksters.

One feature *I'd* like to see (BTW....Why wasn't this thread cross-posted
onto WISHLIST until now?? Found that to be kinda strange) is mass DELETION
capabilities. It's funny though how we can just simply hit CTRL+INSERT and
not only duplicate but also place an object in sequential place, but yet you
can't DELETE objects in the same manner.

Is it just me not hitting the right keys (like SHIFT+DELETE) or is this just
yet another MUCH NEEDED improvement left out of 3.3???

> Unlike Goober King, I never had any doubt that AW would be around at least
> for a while - my concern was what state the universe would be in after a
few
> months. That still remains to be seen, but the features in 3.3 are a step
> in the right direction.

I took a perhaps more subtle "wait and see" approach myself, however though
I too had the same concern you did Brant (among other things at the time).
But youi are right. We shouldn't complain too loudly (who knows - Morfe
features just may be added when the final product comes out) and it *is* a
step in the right direction. :-)

Just my $.02 worth...Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

dotar sojat

May 10, 2002, 6:00am
I dunno bout you but I have been doign mass deletions in exactly this way
since the advent of 3.0, so I am unsure how come you say it cannot be done?

> One feature *I'd* like to see (BTW....Why wasn't this thread cross-posted
> onto WISHLIST until now?? Found that to be kinda strange) is mass
DELETION
> capabilities. It's funny though how we can just simply hit CTRL+INSERT
and
> not only duplicate but also place an object in sequential place, but yet
you
> can't DELETE objects in the same manner.
>
> Is it just me not hitting the right keys (like SHIFT+DELETE) or is this
just
> yet another MUCH NEEDED improvement left out of 3.3???

brant

May 10, 2002, 10:43am
You're missing two extremely important facts, Goober:

First, you said that these features were decided on in November, but then
again who says that the prices weren't decided on in November as well?
Obviously, the price increase wasn't decided on on January 2, and the
executives obviously took a long Christmas vacation, so that had to be in
the wraps long before then - in the beginning of December, or even November.
They announced the 3.3 feature list because it was good news, and held off
the bad news until the day before it would take effect in hopes of
minimizing the PR hit they would take and prevent the sort of riots that
occurred from lasting for two months.

Second, ENZO's statement about 3.3 being the last version was only included
in the letter in an attempt to appeal to users in terms they can understand.
As it is, the letter was bad enough with that justification - if they hadn't
included that statement, people would have gone more nuts. There can't be a
"last version" to AW unless the company folds - it's that simple. Any
company in technology that ceases their R&D will soon become obsolete as
technology changes. Thus, as long as the company's around and wants to
support its 3D technology, Roland (or someone else) will have to be as well.
If not, then ENZO knows very little about business or he plans to dump AW
and move into netbroadcaster.com or one of AW's other acquisitions.

[View Quote]

brant

May 10, 2002, 10:49am
Well, I'm sure that ENZO researched the CARP issue well before acquiring
netbroadcaster.com and knew that the final terms would have to be decided
upon by two Mondays from now. What he couldn't have known was the February
decision that put the Internet rates so ridiculously high that most radio
stations (including netbroadcaster.com) will probably be forced out of
business should it pass because AW probably now inherits all of
netbroadcaster's retroactive royalty fees. Thus, unless there's something I
don't know about or a clause in the contract to the contrary, AW will
probably lose a heck of a lot of money that could have gone to 3D
development in this deal.

I can't fault ENZO for this one, like everyone else most likely in their
flames in reply to this post. It's just a case of poor timing and bad luck,
both of which have brought down many businesses in the past :)

[View Quote]

coconut

May 10, 2002, 3:20pm
When I heard in the newsletter about AW 3.3 I thought it would be soon.
Currently its been ages

*bored* soon everyone else will be!

<Coconut>

hmm, i think it was Josh C who told me that deal was off..

Dont quote me, im not 100% on it
[View Quote]

zeo toxion

May 10, 2002, 4:52pm
Actually I've never seen the full list until now. I knew about terrain,
coronas, and whatever else was in that newsletter but there is over half of
it that is new (at least to me) and I'm very happy about. This doesn't
changed my opinion about prices much but I do think that's a great step for
the _software_ which is what I really meant.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

The problem is, Brant, that at the rate AWC is going, the price hikes
won't make any difference! With their latest SEC filing and the fact
that their about to be kicked off Nasdaq, among other things, the future
doesn't look very bright for AWC.

And it's obvious that their little "PR move" did nothing to allay the
fears of the public, which only goes to show that they have no clue what
they're doing. Wake up and smell the coffee, Brant. AW's going down.

[View Quote] > You're missing two extremely important facts, Goober:

> First, you said that these features were decided on in November, but then
> again who says that the prices weren't decided on in November as well?
> Obviously, the price increase wasn't decided on on January 2, and the
> executives obviously took a long Christmas vacation, so that had to be in
> the wraps long before then - in the beginning of December, or even November.
> They announced the 3.3 feature list because it was good news, and held off
> the bad news until the day before it would take effect in hopes of
> minimizing the PR hit they would take and prevent the sort of riots that
> occurred from lasting for two months.
>
> Second, ENZO's statement about 3.3 being the last version was only included
> in the letter in an attempt to appeal to users in terms they can understand.
> As it is, the letter was bad enough with that justification - if they hadn't
> included that statement, people would have gone more nuts. There can't be a
> "last version" to AW unless the company folds - it's that simple. Any
> company in technology that ceases their R&D will soon become obsolete as
> technology changes. Thus, as long as the company's around and wants to
> support its 3D technology, Roland (or someone else) will have to be as well.
> If not, then ENZO knows very little about business or he plans to dump AW
> and move into netbroadcaster.com or one of AW's other acquisitions.

Wonders if Brant will ever wake up...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

robbie

May 10, 2002, 6:24pm
> One feature *I'd* like to see (BTW....Why wasn't this thread cross-posted
> onto WISHLIST until now?? Found that to be kinda strange) is mass
DELETION
> capabilities. It's funny though how we can just simply hit CTRL+INSERT
and
> not only duplicate but also place an object in sequential place, but yet
you
> can't DELETE objects in the same manner.
>
> Is it just me not hitting the right keys (like SHIFT+DELETE) or is this
just
> yet another MUCH NEEDED improvement left out of 3.3???

Erm....just thought you might like to know....if you hold control whilst
selecting an object. you select all the objects in that cell....if you hold
control + shift you can select entire builds in seconds. You may already
know this but from what you said above it looked to me like you didnt(?)
:o)

-Robbie

shorah

May 10, 2002, 9:46pm
You seemed so optimistic in January, I'm disappointed :(

Shorah

[View Quote]

brant

May 10, 2002, 10:24pm
Perhaps they are going to go bankrupt, but it's not going to happen anytime
soon - it'll be at least next year before anything of consequence happens.
Thus, since I'll still be here until July, I'm making the best of the
present. You should too, Goober. Myself, the last month has been bliss
because all the troublemakers have seemingly vanished, leaving a community
of intelligent (is that going too far?) people - look at this newsgroup for
example - at least in the last month, there have been very few flame wars.

AW's price hike did accomplish one important goal - it got rid of all the
idiots whose primary goal was to make everyone else's lives miserable - at
least for now :)

[View Quote]

bonzai

May 11, 2002, 1:34am
yeah , in these few months , many ppl left , good and bad guys , i hope we
still gonna have a community in a year .

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3cdc64a9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Perhaps they are going to go bankrupt, but it's not going to happen
anytime
> soon - it'll be at least next year before anything of consequence happens.
> Thus, since I'll still be here until July, I'm making the best of the
> present. You should too, Goober. Myself, the last month has been bliss
> because all the troublemakers have seemingly vanished, leaving a community
> of intelligent (is that going too far?) people - look at this newsgroup
for
> example - at least in the last month, there have been very few flame wars.
>
> AW's price hike did accomplish one important goal - it got rid of all the
> idiots whose primary goal was to make everyone else's lives miserable - at
> least for now :)

I was anything *but* optimistic. I recognized that price hike as the
debacle it was and as the bell that tolled the end of AW.

As for Brant, I've been keeping myself busy as well. Even though I may
be the resident nay-sayer, I still plan on working for this community
until the day it ceases. After all, I'd rather the community die on its
feet, than wither away on its knees.

[View Quote] > You seemed so optimistic in January, I'm disappointed :(

> Shorah

But it may come sooner than you think...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

tom huxton

May 11, 2002, 7:18am
[View Quote] The price hike had another effect too. It makes the smaller worlds more
enticing. If you consider the 2 free cits with a P-40 world, world
ownership is appealing, even if you need hosting. If you have a partner to
split the cost, you each end up with an area of 80x40 at a cost of $215.
(first year) Subsequent years would run about $180. Cits now run almost $70
a year; for another $110 you have your own world with room to build for a
very long time. (P-40-5 <w/2 free cits> with hosting and one time registry
fee = ~$430, split with 1 partner)

You are right about the idiots being scarce lately, but I miss the
tourists, too. Some worlds are nearly vacant. You have to admit that it is
not as much fun without new folks passing through. Some owners have worlds
BECAUSE they like greeting tourists----how can you justify world ownership
if you are gregarious and no one ever visits?

Another problem with the price increase is that in most countries the new
price makes citizenship out of reach, especially for young people.

AWLD traded Friday at .23-.25 with high volume. I'm personally worried.

Thomas

brant

May 11, 2002, 12:00pm
I don't fancy myself a businessman, so I won't comment on AW's stock and
what it means, but I'd venture that since AW's stock has been in the dumps
for years, daily fluctuations mean almost nothing.

Myself, I have no problem with the price hike - AW obviously needs to make
money. What I do have a problem with, and which is part of the reason I'm
leaving permanently in July, is the lack of tourists in the worlds, as you
said. The only reason that I liked the lack of tourists in the beginning
was that there were less anonymous troublemakers, making my job a lot
easier. Now, with AW 3.3's improved ejection mechanism, it's easy enough to
get rid of tourists who break the rules. Perhaps AW is making more money
out of the deal, and I don't doubt they aren't, but their extra money comes
at the expense of a lively universe.

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 15, 2002, 2:19am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] I have to agree with Dion here. And when you throw in the buyout of
NetBroadcaster.com and the partnership with the makers of Stuff-It, you
really have to wonder just how "poor" they *really* are.

However, OTOH....AWcom *does* have a right to make $$$ off the technology.
Afterall, it *is* theirs, isn't it???

Personally, I think they're could've done well WITHOUT banning tourists from
virtually EVERY world and 3DHP in the universe (especially those by AWcom
itself). Nor should they have eliminated tourists from AlphaWorld.

I've said this once and I'll say it again, AWGate isn't their "prize world".
AlphaWorld is. And they could've still allowed tourists to VISIT
AlphaWorld, but NOT to BUILD there. If AWcom did ANYTHING in this area,
this should've simply disabled tourists' building rights on AW and left it
at that.

But did they do that???? NOOOOO!!! They had to COMPLETELY BAN tourists
from AW!!! Why??? Only HE knows (looking and pointing up at the sky).

As it is now, AWcom has, for all intents and purposes, shot itself in the
foot. And it's NOT like AW is an "overcrowded world". Sure most of the
activity can be found at GZ but about how many people do you really think
are actually there on an average basis??? Couldn't be much more than 10
people. Everyone else is off elsewhere building or something.

Anyways...My little rant is slipping WAY off topic :-) *LOL!* But I think
you all get the gist of it (at least I *hope* ya do :-)).

In any event....Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

dion

May 15, 2002, 4:54am
They felt that people were remaining tourists and not buying citizenships
because being a tourist meant you could build and explore and see everything
like a normal citizen. There were a few disadvantages but they weren't much
so AWCom felt that this would be a way to encourage people to register a
citizenship ;-)

[View Quote]

pc hamster

May 17, 2002, 2:06am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] So, what's the "magic combination" as it were??? CTRL+DELETE ???

I'd love to give it a try sometime (it'll help save me LOADS of time
deleting stuff in the future) :-)

Patrick

anduin

May 17, 2002, 2:40am
Anyway know if Custom Avatars will be implemented into this new version?

--
Anduin
Citizen 317281