New Cy Pages!!!!! (Community)

New Cy Pages!!!!! // Community

1  2  |

dotar sojat

Apr 26, 2002, 10:26pm
It never seemed to cause a problem before baro.

[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 10:31pm
Yeah.. belive it or not... I'm only 15, sophmore in high school.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 10:36pm
Yes.. in fact, you're totally right Bowen. I told alphabit when I e-mail my
entry, that it was just a rough outline. Just about anything can be changed
to sute the needs of the CY team. That was just so they could get an idea of
what I would do, should I be made webmaster. However, I'm kindof glad I
didn't spend anymore time on it than I did. I spent half a week working on
the graphics and layout, all wasted...

And, I bet you didn't know that I can program PERL/CGI... That will do all
the vote counting you ever need, and I would have written coustom apps, just
for the CY awards. Whant PHP, I don't know it.. but I know plenty of other
languages, so if it were necessary I would learn it for a project.

I really didn't mean for this to become a huge deal either... You don't have
to defend you decision to me. I was just commenting on how "not-new" the
"new" site looked.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 10:39pm
When I talked to Alphabit and asked about using some of the existing
artwork.. I was told a *new* design was needed. I took that to mean
*totally* new, not just rearanging stuff.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 10:45pm
Hey guys.. everyone chill.. Stop critisizing Comp. I believe the site looks
good, though it does have some things that could be fixed (which everyone
else has already pointed out). At first glance I thought it was a very
clever design, and it does look good.

I was just disapointed... I put much labor into designing a totally new
site, and a slight rearangement made my work worth nothing. And yes, I
know.. I was prepared from the start to except not being the webmaster...
That's not what all this is about.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 10:51pm
Builderz,
When I do design work my resolution is set to 1280x960 on a 21" CRT.
So, I have to set some kind of standard... When I design things to look good
on my moniter, it's usualy way to big for 800x600. So, yes.. I did
specificly design that site for 640x480. I've found that while *most* people
use 800x600 (that is the factory default these days on OEM systems), *some*
people (including my grand-ma) still insist on using 640x480. I belive the
enclosing table is only 525 pixels wide, which fits nicely inside the
browser at 640x480, and only has a little margin at 800x600. This design
also works well from within the AWB as it is left aligned (the specific
reason I didn't center it). Take a look at my (still under
construction) homepage http://207.59.10.4/ May not look like it, but you
can fit all that int 640x480. I designed the images to strech to the size of
the browser.

As for the rollovers. Maybe they're not needed.. but they do grab attention.
Don't complain about load times... If you could see the file sizes on those
images, you'd feel totally stupid for complaining. The largest image is 1KB,
all the rest are in the K range. You download more than that when you enter
the GZ of just about any world.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

bitmaster

Apr 26, 2002, 11:15pm
Ok, I say we change the webpage to DARK RED background with LIGHT BLUE
Fonts.

To computerizer:
Normally I would address something of this nature to you in a more
personal message via E-mail or some other form of private communications,
but in light of what I have been reading, I felt I would do it publicly. I
would like to say 1st, Thank You for your time, efforts in what you have
done so far. I know as well as you probably know, you cannot please
everyone and there are even a few people that will never allow you to please
them. ;) I see you do show concern with your works as well as the concerns
for the general publics opinion. Please do not feel you have to make a
statement or justify everything you do, especially when it comes to working
on the CY team. Do what I do, just say, "hmmm.. I'll have to think about
that. Thanks!" :)

To everyone else this applies to:
Thank you very much for your concerns on how the pages should or should
not look. Your opinions are read and noted and may or may not be complied
to.
Instead of paying so much attention to graphics, designs, thrills, chills..
etc.. Let's be more concerned with content, information and ways we can
actually help the bigger picture. If you don't feel there is a bigger
picture and all this is just a waste of time, why are you even reading this?
;) ( This is not a rhetorical question. )
All in all, I'm sure each of us would rather have a few encouraging
comments thrown at us and in turn would help us want to please another even
more, but one negative comment could have many times the opposite effect and
discourage us and puts a damper on what we set out to do in the first place.
*Constructive Criticism 101*
Thanks for reading.

Bits

"computerizer" stated:
> I don't know if I'm reading wrong or not, but it looks to me like that URL
> says:
> "
> If you do choose to stray from black on white, make sure that there is
> enough contrast between your text and background colors so that your
> visitors will not have trouble reading your content.
> "
> Which is exactly why I am making the text color brighter, so it contrasts
> better with the background (I did say this on the Cy Awards forums and in
> my previous message here)
>
> -Computerizer
>

> "83058" <xavarella at unforgettable.com> wrote in
> news:3cc9e4f1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

baro

Apr 26, 2002, 11:26pm
How well the results for the CY awards were in the past is a matter of
opinion, and I won't argue my opinions here.

jerme

Apr 26, 2002, 11:51pm
I'm behind you all the way Bit. People made a much bigger deal out of this
than I ever anticipated. Thus, I've removed the CY pages I created, they
join the rest of the "to-be-forgotten" files on my system.

I'd also like to extend a thanks to Comp.. Overall, It's a nice design.
Don't get me wrong, I like it. Take the people's suggestions though, they
only want to improve things.

-J

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

nornny11

Apr 27, 2002, 12:56am
I saw the site this morning (it seems to be down now), but my god, a Cy
Awards page with no purple AND gold? Blashemous!!! Burn him at the stake!!!
:)) How will the Bits live after seeing such a travesty!!! j/k. :)

Actually, your sample page looks a lot like your main site, which screams
subliminal messaging to me. lol. It's not that its a bad design, but my
conservativeness wins over your well presented web design. :) I can't see
the Cys without its simple elegence, and I think the new webmaster gets that
out better with just a few minor tweaks to get the whole site more
organized. :) I like them both, but I think Alphabit made a good decision,
not that if she chose you, it would be a bad decision either, you're both
very talented, and should work on MY site. lol.

Nornny

[View Quote]

jerme

Apr 27, 2002, 9:02am
*sigh* I really don't care anymore guys... how about let it go?

> I saw the site this morning (it seems to be down now)
Yes, I did that on puropse. I don't want people looking at it anymore.. it
just doesn't matter any longer. No reason to occupy space on my server with
useless trash.

>but my god, a Cy
> Awards page with no purple AND gold? Blashemous!!! Burn him at the
stake!!!
> :)) How will the Bits live after seeing such a travesty!!! j/k. :)

Yeah.. exactly what I figured out, the hard way.

> Actually, your sample page looks a lot like your main site, which screams
> subliminal messaging to me. lol.

Umm.. care to explain this more? The only thing that looks even remotly
alike was the rollovers. The colors, fonts, and even the basic layout is
different. The whole header was created from scratch. I can send you the
files where I saved it as my design progressed.

>It's not that its a bad design, but my
> conservativeness wins over your well presented web design. :) I can't see
> the Cys without its simple elegence, and I think the new webmaster gets
that
> out better with just a few minor tweaks to get the whole site more
> organized. :)

Well... alphabit asked for something *new*. I didn't know that meant tweak
the existing site, so I came up with something totally new...

>I like them both, but I think Alphabit made a good decision,
> not that if she chose you, it would be a bad decision either

yea, nice save.... I agree, she made the best decision. So, why are we still
talking about this?

>you're both
> very talented, and should work on MY site. lol.

After this, i'm kinda burnt out on webdesign. The only websites I'm going to
be working on in the near feature is my own (it needs a lot of work) and
sites for some paying clients. I'm getting sick of working my a$$ off for
free, and wasting my time. People don't value my work, because it was
free... and that's not uncommon. People don't value anything that's free,
why should I expect things to be any different?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apr 27, 2002, 10:33am
rollover stuff: eek! bad!
bad spelling (what the heck is "Fourm"?): eek! bad!
it was an OK site, but I'm sure you could do better...

andras

Apr 27, 2002, 4:45pm
I know I don't count since my web design is worse than anyone else but I have to agree with 83058 <wink:)> that the color scheme is not good. I can't read a SINGLE WORD on that page! I mean the one with blue color with black bg. I'm red-blind, so it can be purple or red but ... there are several ppl who can't read it. I'm not alone :)

Would someone consider us - color-handicapped - as a visitors of those websites? - then please do something about that .

Thanks,
Andras

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Apr 28, 2002, 5:17pm
Please stand by Andras and Xav *wink*...hehehehe!

And what the heck do you mean you don't count???????
Every single person counts in the AW CommunitY ya knows:)

We may not be able to please all of the people some of the time...but try
our best to please most....most of the time:)