interesting press release... (Community)

interesting press release... // Community

1  |

eep

Feb 23, 2001, 2:58pm
http://biz.yahoo.com/t/a/awld.html

Perhaps why AWLD is tanking recently? <chuckle>

eep

Feb 23, 2001, 3:08pm
And who's Michael Gardner? He's got as much stock in AWLD as Rick and JP do...

[View Quote] > http://biz.yahoo.com/t/a/awld.html

> Perhaps why AWLD is tanking recently? <chuckle>

eep

Feb 23, 2001, 3:38pm
And some nobody named Al Silver with "Director" title (like Rick and JP)? Uh...

[View Quote] > And who's Michael Gardner? He's got as much stock in AWLD as Rick and JP do...

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 23, 2001, 5:25pm
[View Quote] http://biz.yahoo.com/t/in/a/awld.html shows Gardner has about 500k, while
Rick and JP have 2.5M. That's about 1/5th of either one of them, or 1/10th
of the amount Rick and JP have together. Or did I overlook something?

rolu

eep

Feb 23, 2001, 7:31pm
Dunno but that page says he has 10% of the shares; perhaps what he traded for the dates listed is not his full amount.

[View Quote] [View Quote]

datedman

Feb 23, 2001, 11:25pm
I believe I may know Gardner, he used to be involved in a programming company that
sold out to Boreland, they made a dBASE compiler that sorta became dBASE for
Windows.

[View Quote] > And who's Michael Gardner? He's got as much stock in AWLD as Rick and JP do...

[View Quote]

holistic1

Feb 25, 2001, 8:13am
xBase for windows comes from Foxbase Inc(FoxPro). which Microsoft bought. Boreland
had a dBase clone called Clipper (a Foxbase compatible) which is now owned by Computer
Associates...

Holistic1

[View Quote] > I believe I may know Gardner, he used to be involved in a programming company that
> sold out to Boreland, they made a dBASE compiler that sorta became dBASE for
> Windows.

[View Quote]

datedman

Feb 25, 2001, 11:59am
Um, NO.

Boreland bought Ashton-Tate, who made dBASE. They made dBASE for Windows. There is no
"xBase," that was a term a bunch of asses came up with for a standard that never existed
and obviously was never going to. There was also dBASE for Windows under development at
Ashton-Tate, and something much cooler which got canned by Boreland at acquisition time.

They also bought Wordtech, who made Quicksilver, which sucked ass by the way.

MS bought Fox Software.

Computer Associates bought Clipper by acquiring Nantucket. Clipper was not
Fox-compatible, in fact it predated Fox by quite a bit and was the best programmer's tool
of all of these by FAR.

And all of it's pretty much history now, as soon as everything started selling to other
people I looked for new things to do because it was obvious it would all get a lot worse
when bigger companies took it over. The one company that I liked somewhat was Boreland,
in fact I was working for them doing some stuff for dBASE for Windows but when they bought
Wordtech that was more than I could stomach. (Quicksilver sucked, did I say that? hehe)
The codebase that they had before they bought Wordtech was pretty damned cool.

Ah well, it seems like ancient history now, geez this was what 6-8 years ago? :)

Anyway, if you need to know anything about the history of the dBASE/Xbase shit, just ask
hehe. I was there for most of it and I met/knew the guys who wrote most of the products
including dBASE II and the thing that came before it whose name escapes me at the moment
(no not dBASE I [g].)

[View Quote] > xBase for windows comes from Foxbase Inc(FoxPro). which Microsoft bought. Boreland
> had a dBase clone called Clipper (a Foxbase compatible) which is now owned by Computer
> Associates...
>
> Holistic1

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------9729626853381D199DBB7A7F

Maybe you will like to hear that Clipper is still not really dead.

Few of our customers still sometimes request changes (Y2K, Euro) in
their old Clipper applications (mostly 5.2 and few 87) - the people who
use them all say that they are much faster to handle than any windows
application and (written for 80386) off course run very fast now.
Most are made with a Clipper program generator. The generator itself :
Written in Clipper 87 (Data Dictionary is DBF off course) with few
extensions (C, ASM UDFs) and produces Clipper 5.2 code that links
together with a powerful library (few UDFs ASM and C in it).

And have a look at http://207.178.22.52/lj-issues/issue14/1083.html -
FlagShip is part of at least some Linux distributions.

datedman schrieb:

> Computer Associates bought Clipper by acquiring Nantucket. Clipper was not
> Fox-compatible, in fact it predated Fox by quite a bit and was the best programmer's tool
> of all of these by FAR.

--------------9729626853381D199DBB7A7F

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------9729626853381D199DBB7A7F--

datedman

Feb 25, 2001, 4:09pm
Yah I know, but basically when Rich and Basil and the rest of the coders left (at the time of
the CA acquisition) that was the end of Clipper for me. And yes, I still use it too. :) I
have a few programs written using Clipper including a CGI thing that uses a small C program to
hand off to it. Program generators? Bah! I have no use for em. Altho I did enhance Scrimage
(a UI-code generator I wrote) to do some Artful-Lib-style code. What generator you
talkinabout, UI? BTW I talked to Basil not so long ago, maybe 6 mos. (he wrote UI, good guy.)

[View Quote] > Maybe you will like to hear that Clipper is still not really dead.

> Few of our customers still sometimes request changes (Y2K, Euro) in
> their old Clipper applications (mostly 5.2 and few 87) - the people who
> use them all say that they are much faster to handle than any windows
> application and (written for 80386) off course run very fast now.
> Most are made with a Clipper program generator. The generator itself :
> Written in Clipper 87 (Data Dictionary is DBF off course) with few
> extensions (C, ASM UDFs) and produces Clipper 5.2 code that links
> together with a powerful library (few UDFs ASM and C in it).
>
> And have a look at http://207.178.22.52/lj-issues/issue14/1083.html -
> FlagShip is part of at least some Linux distributions.
>
> datedman schrieb:

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------48B23C25CBCE50688B6DA33A

:)
The program generator is called BrainStorm, a german one with the
ability to produce foreign language programs. It was never released in
this multilingual version, only one installation of this version exists.
BrainStorm just keeps you from doing the boring stuff like input mask
handling and table display over and over again. All masks, tables and
menus displays have the same look and feel. The application specific
code, has to be written with an editor off course. I never made a large
application with it (others did that) - but most of the generator and
its libraries itself, and believe me, that was really fun.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------48B23C25CBCE50688B6DA33A--

datedman

Feb 25, 2001, 11:10pm
Personally I just write functions and call those with lists of stuff. Easier to maintain and all I
need is a text editor. :)

[View Quote] > :)
> The program generator is called BrainStorm, a german one with the
> ability to produce foreign language programs. It was never released in
> this multilingual version, only one installation of this version exists.
> BrainStorm just keeps you from doing the boring stuff like input mask
> handling and table display over and over again. All masks, tables and
> menus displays have the same look and feel. The application specific
> code, has to be written with an editor off course. I never made a large
> application with it (others did that) - but most of the generator and
> its libraries itself, and believe me, that was really fun.
>
> datedman schrieb:

holistic1

Mar 3, 2001, 8:14pm
I stand corrected about Boreland (been a long time since I have thought about it). I know
what xbase stands for. As for Quicksilver,...LOL... it was a great product, expecially the
compiler. And I too did alot of applications using most of those products back in the late
80's early 90's. Clipper was a dbase clone even though it wasn't a 100% compatible. Its
databases could be used by the other programs except for the memos database. The extended
functions of Clipper couldn't, Which mean't that it really sucked. :) Quicksilver could
read all of the databases and its compiler was really great.. did I mention that :).

Holistic1

[View Quote] > Um, NO.

> Boreland bought Ashton-Tate, who made dBASE. They made dBASE for Windows. There is no
> "xBase," that was a term a bunch of asses came up with for a standard that never existed
> and obviously was never going to. There was also dBASE for Windows under development at
> Ashton-Tate, and something much cooler which got canned by Boreland at acquisition time.
>
> They also bought Wordtech, who made Quicksilver, which sucked ass by the way.
>
> MS bought Fox Software.
>
> Computer Associates bought Clipper by acquiring Nantucket. Clipper was not
> Fox-compatible, in fact it predated Fox by quite a bit and was the best programmer's tool
> of all of these by FAR.
>
> And all of it's pretty much history now, as soon as everything started selling to other
> people I looked for new things to do because it was obvious it would all get a lot worse
> when bigger companies took it over. The one company that I liked somewhat was Boreland,
> in fact I was working for them doing some stuff for dBASE for Windows but when they bought
> Wordtech that was more than I could stomach. (Quicksilver sucked, did I say that? hehe)
> The codebase that they had before they bought Wordtech was pretty damned cool.
>
> Ah well, it seems like ancient history now, geez this was what 6-8 years ago? :)
>
> Anyway, if you need to know anything about the history of the dBASE/Xbase shit, just ask
> hehe. I was there for most of it and I met/knew the guys who wrote most of the products
> including dBASE II and the thing that came before it whose name escapes me at the moment
> (no not dBASE I [g].)

[View Quote]

datedman

Mar 3, 2001, 9:07pm
Actually, Clipper memo files are stored in the dBASE III format. Index files are not
compatible, none of em are but they are faster than dBASE III/IV indices (maybe not fox.)
Clipper was the sorta techie geekie "xbase," most of the heavy duty people used it because it
was more extensible and quick and small.

[View Quote] > I stand corrected about Boreland (been a long time since I have thought about it). I know
> what xbase stands for. As for Quicksilver,...LOL... it was a great product, expecially the
> compiler. And I too did alot of applications using most of those products back in the late
> 80's early 90's. Clipper was a dbase clone even though it wasn't a 100% compatible. Its
> databases could be used by the other programs except for the memos database. The extended
> functions of Clipper couldn't, Which mean't that it really sucked. :) Quicksilver could
> read all of the databases and its compiler was really great.. did I mention that :).
>
> Holistic1

[View Quote]

holistic1

Mar 4, 2001, 10:23am
LOL.... true statement... nothing was faster than fox. All of the clones had incompatible
routines. But then, thats what kept things interesting....:)

Have a good one,

Holistic1

[View Quote] > Actually, Clipper memo files are stored in the dBASE III format. Index files are not
> compatible, none of em are but they are faster than dBASE III/IV indices (maybe not fox.)
> Clipper was the sorta techie geekie "xbase," most of the heavy duty people used it because it
> was more extensible and quick and small.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------9F2B209044721B554487C9E1

Clipper later had a replaceable database driver, could even be linked
with more than one.
It could not handle the multiple fox index files but at least
read/convert databases with memo fields from fox or dbase to clipper -
only this way makes sense although the other way would have worked too
;)

holistic1 schrieb:

> LOL.... true statement... nothing was faster than fox. All of the clones had incompatible
> routines. But then, thats what kept things interesting....:)
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Holistic1

[View Quote] begin:vcard
email;internet:vha at oct31.de