Squaring the circle (General Discussion)

Squaring the circle // General Discussion

1  2  |

starfleet

Sep 4, 2003, 10:25pm

.duo.

Sep 4, 2003, 10:30pm
DIE!!!!! Do you have a bandwidth limit?

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 5, 2003, 6:59am
No :P
Now make a square out of a circle (if you know how)..hehehehe

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 5, 2003, 6:46pm
Well then, I'll just have to PING you to death.
Nope, don't know how (don't think it can be done either).

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 5, 2003, 10:19pm
It can be done.

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 6, 2003, 11:55pm
umm... not really, not if you keep all the verticies (excuse spelling). or
whatever, lol.

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 7, 2003, 4:16am
Where does a circle have a vertex? O_O

[View Quote] It's true definable vertex is in it's center, but you mean the RWX
way... and that would be impossible as a circle has an infinite curve.
The best way to get a circle is a 360^3*length of radius. As you can
imagine, the large the circle gets the more it's going to lag (if you
don't multiply by the radius it's going to look blockier as you get larger).

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

starfleet

Sep 7, 2003, 7:02am
I'm not talking about an RWX circle, I meant a real circle.

"starfleet" <Starfleet at Command.com> wrote in
news:3f5af42f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm not talking about an RWX circle, I meant a real circle.

A real (abstract) circle has an infinity of points/vertices.

KAH

.duo.

Sep 7, 2003, 11:02am
nowhere and everywhere.

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 7, 2003, 11:03am
right, which is what I was saying. Also, some people just say it has no
vertices.

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 7, 2003, 11:16am
Well....turn it into a square.

[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 8, 2003, 12:00pm
So you can't?

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 8, 2003, 6:27pm
ummm... neither can you or anyone else, so?

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 8, 2003, 6:47pm
Sure I can, make a square with the same area as a given circle.

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 8, 2003, 7:03pm
Umm... yeah, but you can't bend the edges of a drawing of a square so it's a
circle. You could do it on a computer though, heh heh heh.

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 8, 2003, 7:06pm
or the other way around I mean, lol

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 8, 2003, 7:11pm
Well..

side length of the square = square root of (pi * (circle's radius ^ 2))

that's the quadrature of the circle :P

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 8, 2003, 10:47pm
your point? You still can't turn a circle into a square (by hand).

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 8, 2003, 10:47pm
:-P

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 9, 2003, 12:48am
Yes you can by doing the math :P

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 9, 2003, 5:19pm
but you can't bend a circle on paper into a sqaure :-P

--
-.Duo. (342836)
[View Quote]

starfleet

Sep 9, 2003, 5:32pm
LMAO.. that's not what I said you should do anyways.

[View Quote]

.duo.

Sep 9, 2003, 5:37pm
right, but technically you can't literally turn a circle into a square.

--
-.Duo. (342836)

By defenition.. a circle is 2 squares....

X^2 + Y^2 = RADIUS

.duo.

Sep 9, 2003, 10:12pm
But it is not one square...

--
-.Duo. (342836)

[View Quote] In theory all polygonal objects share similar qualities. A square is a
circle with 4 definitive points. Since a circle is the supreme, awesome
polygon of all, it holds the most power. ;)

But in the true strict definition of a square and circle, no, it's not.
But a square is a rectangle.

http://bowen.homelinux.com/sys/
Yeah, it's that good.
(Maybe an AW section in the near future?)

.duo.

Sep 9, 2003, 11:20pm
But by definition, a circle isn't a polygon...

--
-.Duo. (342836)

[View Quote] It has an infinite amount of sides, it sure is a polygon.