Ok what's this? (General Discussion)

Ok what's this? // General Discussion

1  2  |

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 10:09pm
I just received about 5 messages that popped up on my screen and no
messenger apps were open.
Anyone make anything of this?
www.totworlds.com/awt/capture1.bmp

tony m

May 11, 2003, 10:38pm
The messenger service is enabled by default in Windows 2000/XP. It has nothing to do with MSN, so that is why.

You will have to go into the Services control panel (as an Administrator) and disable the Messenger service if you want to avoid these messages completely. You could also block it from the firewall, but I don't know what port[s] to block.

[View Quote] >I just received about 5 messages that popped up on my screen and no messenger apps were open. Anyone make anything of this?

>www.totworlds.com/awt/capture1.bmp

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 10:44pm
Thanks Tony:)
Would that disable msn messenger though?

[View Quote]

tony m

May 11, 2003, 10:45pm
[View Quote] >Thanks Tony:)
>Would that disable msn messenger though?

I would hope not, since they're unrelated services. I'm not exactly sure, not being an MSN user.

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 10:49pm
Ok...thanks again:)

[View Quote]

tony m

May 11, 2003, 10:50pm
[View Quote] >Thanks Tony:)
>Would that disable msn messenger though?

These websites have some information about it, and includes disabling instructions for Windows XP and 2000. Based on this information, it doesn't seem to affect MSN.

http://www.friendshipcoffee.com/messenger.html
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html
http://8help.ohio-state.edu/913.html (Only for Windows XP)

Many others as well from the Google search I did, but you generally get the idea of what it does.

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 11:07pm
Ahhhh.....ok...that will probably stop all the weird popup grey thingys I
get that aren't attached to an email.
Appreciate it!

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 11:14pm
Yup...that did it...thanks a 3rd time:)

[View Quote]

wing

May 11, 2003, 11:36pm
No. In fact, if I recall, the comments on that service in WinXP tell you
that it has nothing to do with MSN.

Anyway, this service is useless unless you're on a corperate network that
sends server related messages via the messenger service or samba's messenger
interface.

This should be the first thing you disable on a non-corperate Win2k/XP
install.

[View Quote]

tengel

May 11, 2003, 11:42pm
hmm, I also have got this one, thought it was a hacker.

Tengel

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 11:42pm
I agree now that I know what it is.
Soooooo.....what else does Win2k have that I need to disable beside
IIS...(done that already)

[View Quote]

tengel

May 11, 2003, 11:46pm
I just did it at my w2k server

Tengel

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 11:51pm
I imagine there's a ton of folks all this info tony gave us will help:)

tengel

May 11, 2003, 11:52pm
This is how I did it in w2k server

Administrative Tools then,
Computer Management then,
Service and Applications then,
Service.
Then look for Messenger in left window
Right click at to stop it, then Right click again
to get Properties. then change Start type from
Automatic to Disable

Tengel

[View Quote]

tengel

May 11, 2003, 11:54pm
Yes, but it worry me that some guy in AW did have fun with us.
I know better things to do then that.

Tengel

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 11, 2003, 11:57pm
Might not have been from here...I also belong to a general discussion group
for Austin:)

[View Quote]

tengel

May 12, 2003, 12:00am
Well my message say " Tengel, not sure it is Tangel?"
So I'm almost sure it is from here

Tengel

[View Quote]

carlbanks

May 12, 2003, 12:20am
Alpha JohnNPC is John the citizen. He said post it in General.Discussion so
he somehow got your address.

[View Quote]

tengel

May 12, 2003, 12:23am
How you know it is john, just because the message says JOHNPC, it could be a
real name, and not the same john as citizen in AW.

Tengel

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 12, 2003, 12:30am
Well....everythings fixed now so no worries:)
If it was anyone in here hope they had fun and I can thank them cause it
made me ask questions and got expert help and now the idiots out there that
have been sending me college and **nis enlargement ads the same way can't
now....lol!

[View Quote]

tengel

May 12, 2003, 12:36am
To me is NOT alphabit because this one try to change my settings, or what
ever it was, because I got more pop ups then you got, where I needed to
terminate it.
So this will be abuse report from me. and maybe a police report, since this
was done to my company server.

Tengel

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

May 12, 2003, 1:04am
Ouch...that would hurt.
Well I try to look at the positive side of everything, and not on a company
server but our own.
You do have a good point there and if it is someone in this NG then I hope
they are learning a lesson:(
I certainly hope though that the wrong person doesn't get falsely accused by
others:(

[View Quote]

tengel

May 12, 2003, 1:12am
Agree on that, and thats why I asked, why Carlbanks was so sure. It is very
dangerus to connect a name to something, when you have not real facts.

Anyway, I will just send the logs, and time of this, so I will see what
happend. Main thing is not the messager I'm after, but the guy who try to do
damage here. It can be even be a differend guy then messager guy. but logs
I have read so far, points only to one.

Tengel

[View Quote]

john

May 12, 2003, 12:57pm
Soz carl, wrong person.

[View Quote]

john

May 12, 2003, 12:58pm
Also:

start>run

Services.msc

MESSGENER

"Stop" & Startup Type = "Disabled", ok it all :-)

I got some of these too a while back b4 I looked up how 2 disable it - visit
a website & get a popup!

"tengel" <tengel at fna.no> wrote in
news:3ebefbfb$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hmm, I also have got this one, thought it was a hacker.

It's annoying and insecure. I actually got spammed this way for a few days
when my installation was all fresh.

KAH

wing

May 12, 2003, 5:18pm
Lets see.

Disable:
IIS.
Messenger service.
Universal Plug & Play (XP only?)
*TERMINAL SERVICES*
Telnet
Indexing services (It supposedly speeds up searches, but it actually takes
it LONGER to cover all my drives, I don't know if it has any effect on
smaller configurations)
Netmeeting Remote Desktop
"Server" process (Unless you share somthing from this station)

Note that I compiled that list from my XP Pro services manager, I don't have
a 2k machine handy. Almost everything (Except Universal Plug & Play) has a
legitimate purpose under certain circumstances. UPnP is not related to Plug
& Play devices attatched locally, but instead across the network - which can
pose a MASSIVE hazard, since the Internet is treated much like a network.
The only time I'd ever consider enabling UPnP is if the machine were totally
isolated from the Internet.

[View Quote]

jerme

May 12, 2003, 7:21pm
It means you need a firewall!!!!!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster

alphabit phalpha

May 12, 2003, 7:43pm
I don't want no stinkin firewall...lol
As far as I'm concerned....if anyone wants ANY of our textures or objects
etc, they are all free:)
I would hope folks would ask so they could be sent zipped with everything
they need though.
Some time in the future we will make a page with everything we have on them
and let ya'll have fun:)
I think to date we have about 12,667 objects.
Of course alot are the mega path and wonderful things that folks have given
away for free to the CommunitY:)

tengel

May 12, 2003, 8:22pm
It have been told few times, but I post this anyway, links to Microsofts
pages about this.
To turn this of:

Windows XP:

Windows 2000: