Second Life Open Beta (General Discussion)

Second Life Open Beta // General Discussion

1  |

canopus

Apr 24, 2003, 10:21pm
Next week, Linden Labs will open a public beta of Second Life. Check the
announcement at http://secondlife.com/newsletter/ on the Second Life
website. You can find out a lot about it there, too--basically, Second Life
sounds like Active Worlds--but also updated and enriched, with in-depth
support for user creativity (building, games, roleplaying).

tengel

Apr 24, 2003, 10:32pm
No thanks, I have allready a life, and one is more enough to me

[View Quote]

dion

Apr 24, 2003, 11:29pm
I'm signing up. If you have a username there, give me your first and last
name so I can credit you.

-Dion

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Apr 25, 2003, 1:43am
CarLBanks Fortune

there, i was nice enough to put u as my referer! :)

-SWE

oh, my name is Wu, SWE Wu :)
[View Quote]

canopus

Apr 25, 2003, 12:44pm
My Username in Second Life is Canopus Wu.

[View Quote]

john

Apr 25, 2003, 2:45pm
not See Wu?

Lol!

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Apr 25, 2003, 5:54pm
Thanks SWE! I appreciate it. I'll contact you inside game.

[View Quote]

brock

Apr 25, 2003, 6:11pm
I was unable to sign up, requires credit card heh

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader
[View Quote]

amunition121

Apr 25, 2003, 6:37pm
I couldnt sign up either for the same reason. There must be a better reason
why only 18 year olds can sign up, there isnt anything saying that there is
X/18 rated material in there.

[View Quote]

john

Apr 25, 2003, 6:46pm
I used my dads cc :-D

[View Quote]

amunition121

Apr 25, 2003, 7:26pm
I wanted to use my mums but all i got was a lecture...and then finally a
flat "No!"

[View Quote]

maki

Apr 26, 2003, 1:11am
there are and have always been mature rated sims in SL, and they have been
working on a system to keep minors out of them. the material can get quite
obscene and can fall within the category of 'X/18'.

maki

geeee, i become a wu, everyone else follows! :P
-SWE Wu
[View Quote]

dion

Apr 26, 2003, 7:50pm
I'm Dion Jones (Yeah, I know, really convenient!) but my video card is only
16MB so it won't let me play. :-P I think that's so stupid. They should
let me just software render it or allow me to change settings that will let
me use a 16MB video card!

-Dion

[View Quote]

tengel

Apr 26, 2003, 8:50pm
Does't Second life have it's own NewsGroup? I find it rude to AW, to use
their Newgroup, to talk about another virtual community.

Tengel

[View Quote]

dion

Apr 26, 2003, 8:54pm
I would imagine AW would be unhappy to hear that we're talking about a
potential competitor in the works in their NG (and not talking about how
shitty it is).

-Dion

[View Quote] Tengel

Apr 27, 2003, 9:32am
"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in
news:3eaaff43$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm Dion Jones (Yeah, I know, really convenient!) but my video card is
> only 16MB so it won't let me play. :-P I think that's so stupid.
> They should let me just software render it or allow me to change
> settings that will let me use a 16MB video card!

That would require them to actually write a software renderer. Software
rendering is fast becoming obsolete, because most people have decent HAL 3D
accelerators, so it's not worth the time nor money. Unless you want to use
the D3D Reference Rasterizer, which is as speedy as a one-legged 200-year
old tortoise. Get yourself a GF4 (not MX!) card with 64MB vid RAM or more.

KAH

dion

Apr 27, 2003, 12:12pm
Too expensive. This is my junk computer. My gaming computer will be coming
in in about 3 months and then I'll be getting the Radeon 9800 or perhaps the
new NV35 from Nvidia, depending on how the benchmarks go. :-)

-Dion

[View Quote] > I'm Dion Jones (Yeah, I know, really convenient!) but my video card is
> only 16MB so it won't let me play. :-P I think that's so stupid.
> They should let me just software render it or allow me to change
> settings that will let me use a 16MB video card!

That would require them to actually write a software renderer. Software
rendering is fast becoming obsolete, because most people have decent HAL 3D
accelerators, so it's not worth the time nor money. Unless you want to use
the D3D Reference Rasterizer, which is as speedy as a one-legged 200-year
old tortoise. Get yourself a GF4 (not MX!) card with 64MB vid RAM or more.

so?

-SWE
p.s: Linden labs isnt a virtual company, its a real one. they just have a
product which lets people enter a virtual reality