Z-buffer (General Discussion)

Z-buffer // General Discussion

1  |

dion

Apr 16, 2003, 9:43pm
Is it just me or is there a lot of z-buffer between the terrain and the
water? It seems really ugly and pixelated right where they meet.

-Dion

chiana

Apr 16, 2003, 9:58pm
this is one of the reasons that i dont think i will be using the new water
feature is because of the z buffering with terrain, it looks great from
ground level but the higher you fly up the worse it gets.

Its due to the increased view range I believe, the mapping goes to pot cause
of the dynamics.

....and for today's weather report. The highs are in the lows of the uppers.
Or something like that. Speak english! :P

Chris

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 17, 2003, 10:08am
has anyone noticed z buffering effecting objects aswell as terrain ?

i made a medieval build set which has cross beams going diagonally across
the walls and with 3.3 there is no z buffering between them but with 3.4
there is, from standing the same distance away from the walls in each
version.

I have also noticed the amount of z buffering depends on what kind of video
card you have. There's not really much you can do although why the amount
of z buffering would change from one version to the next while still using
the same video card is quite beyond my faculties to compute.

=|:-)

Chris

It's because they increased the far clipping plane limit to 1200. By
increasing the distance you can see terrain, you have to sacrifice
something, and in this case, it was z-buffering. :-/

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Clipping the plane of sanity
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

chiana

Apr 17, 2003, 9:49pm
" It's because they increased the far clipping plane limit to 1200. By
increasing the distance you can see terrain, you have to sacrifice
something, and in this case, it was z-buffering. :-/ "

to be honest i would prefer it how it is in 3.3, ok so you wont be able to
see asfar but what you do see will look much nicer as i think z buffering at
the moment really messes a world up if you have terrain and water acitvated
and look down on it from up high.

rossyboy

Apr 18, 2003, 2:40pm
Well all we can do is suggest that in 3.5 they have an option for how far
you want to see the terrain.

Perhaps they could have a slider in Options with "Less Z-buffering" at one
side and "More Terrain Visibility" at the other

"chiana" <stonkingv8 at hotmail.com> wrote this
(news:3e9f2f7b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 18
Apr 2003: