XP and AW (General Discussion)

XP and AW // General Discussion

1  |

goddess innie

Mar 6, 2003, 2:41am
I dont know if it is just me, but everytime I try to run AW on my xp
machine, I just have fatal errors left and right. I have fixed everything I
know of, including the firewall. It just wont run and seems to always
crash, and crash hard.

Any ideas? Any one else having this problem?

pineriver

Mar 6, 2003, 2:03pm
I knew Windows EX was evil!

[View Quote]

light form

Mar 6, 2003, 2:11pm
I haven't had a problem on either of my XP running machines. Maybe its just
you...

LF

Try to force software rendering in the first step,
in aworld.ini look for this :

[video]
mode=

and set it to

mode=2

If this does work, you can switch to different modes from
the browser.

I think, software mode is the least critical one.

[View Quote] Or try running it in compatability mode.

"goddess innie" <ami at chazdesigns.com> wrote in
news:3e66d180$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I dont know if it is just me, but everytime I try to run AW on my xp
> machine, I just have fatal errors left and right. I have fixed
> everything I know of, including the firewall. It just wont run and
> seems to always crash, and crash hard.
>
> Any ideas? Any one else having this problem?

Any info about your system? Video card for example.

KAH

carlbanks

Mar 6, 2003, 3:57pm
Windows XP actually works better for me.

[View Quote]

pineriver

Mar 6, 2003, 5:19pm
By evil I mean it is that way when you have been working on lower systems
for the past 10 years
[View Quote]

goddess innie

Mar 6, 2003, 7:04pm
Well gee, that was helpful!

[View Quote]

goddess innie

Mar 6, 2003, 7:06pm
I have a brand new Nvidia Gforce 2 mmx 440. drivers updated.
[View Quote]

goddess innie

Mar 6, 2003, 7:08pm
Thank you ananas. I will do that.

[View Quote]

garnet

Mar 6, 2003, 10:35pm
This sounds like a problem I had when I upgraded my Gforce2 videocard driver
.. I posted about it here in the newsgroups a couple months ago, and had
advice given to me similar to what you are getting. Before I updated the
driver I could be in direct 3D 8 with no problems at all. After I upgraded
all I would do in AW is crash.. I gave up and now use OpenGL.. and can't
use fog coz it looks weird. I've learned my lesson... I will never upgrade
videodrivers again unless its not working. Garnet

[View Quote]

lady barbara

Mar 7, 2003, 8:26am
What exactly is OpenGL?? It has been suggested to me a few times. I run AW
on Win98SE. Sometimes I get those darn Aworld.ini errors toothat kick me
out of AW! I have ATI Xpert99/Xpert2000 and according to the manual, etc. I
have to continue running it on DirectX7 --NOT 8!!

Is OpenGL slower, will I have same colors, etc.??? I've just switched
Amberlin to "Huge". (BTW, thanks guys for that suggestion!)

Lady Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbara Eisner

"lady barbara" <barbeisner at msn.com> wrote in
news:3e6873be$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> What exactly is OpenGL?? It has been suggested to me a few times. I
> run AW on Win98SE. Sometimes I get those darn Aworld.ini errors
> toothat kick me out of AW! I have ATI Xpert99/Xpert2000 and according
> to the manual, etc. I have to continue running it on DirectX7 --NOT
> 8!!
>
> Is OpenGL slower, will I have same colors, etc.??? I've just switched
> Amberlin to "Huge". (BTW, thanks guys for that suggestion!)

OpenGL is 3D API (like DirectX/D3D). It's Open Source (thus the Open) and
cross-platform, in contrast to DirectX, which is proprietary and only
available (natively) on Win32 (DX8.1 and up is not even available on
win95). OGL can be faster in some cases and slower in others. It depends a
lot of your video card and how well it supports OGL. Just try it to see if
it'll do the business.

KAH

kf

Mar 7, 2003, 11:27am
In the practical performance on a Geforce card it lies ca. between Dx7
and Dx8.

[View Quote]

garnet

Mar 7, 2003, 3:48pm
I'll leave it to those who can explain what OpenGL is better than I can :)
All I know is that it isn't as good as Direct3D 8 was, and now when I use
fog it makes water dissapear at certain angles.. or appear dark. You will
find the choice to use OpneGL under Options> Settings>Viedo I hope you
have better luck with it than I did :) Garnet

"garnet" <red.garnet at verizon.net> wrote in
news:3e68db50$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'll leave it to those who can explain what OpenGL is better than I
> can :) All I know is that it isn't as good as Direct3D 8 was, and now
> when I use fog it makes water dissapear at certain angles.. or appear
> dark. You will find the choice to use OpneGL under Options>
> Settings>Viedo I hope you have better luck with it than I did :)

That'd be the RW3 implementation of OGL. I must enfacise that in reality
OGL really is superior to DX/D3D, but unfortunately RW3's implementation of
it isn't all too good. Would be neat if they switched to the QUAKE II
engine which is now GPL'ed :-D

In laymen's terms, it's the "language" that the video card uses to translate
those 0's and 1's into 3D images. DirectX and 3DFX are two other such
"languages".

Chris

I would really like to know how RenderWare is getting along someday.
Because it's gotta be worse than AW. Who even uses the engine for new
products? I'm not dissing AW. They picked up the engine when it was still
new and had a use.

Chris

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3e6aea86$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I would really like to know how RenderWare is getting along someday.
> Because it's gotta be worse than AW. Who even uses the engine for new
> products? I'm not dissing AW. They picked up the engine when it was
> still new and had a use.

Well, according to themselfes, RW is doing very well indeed. According to
this list:
http://www.renderware.com/customers_pages/customers_games_fr.htm
GTA III and GTA Vice City, among a lot of other big titles, are powered by
RenderWare. I'm not sure if this is a newer and improved version or wether
it's the 3D engine or the other tools they've developped under the
RenderWare brandname. For the price they payed to get the three RW3
engines, I bet they could've licensed the darn QIII engine, which is far
superior. Granted, it would take some conversion, but the switch to RW3 did
too.

[View Quote] You see all those console systems? They're all RenderWare dependent, last I heard.