WinXP Professional Recycle Bin Question (General Discussion)

WinXP Professional Recycle Bin Question // General Discussion

1  |

dion

Sep 24, 2002, 9:18pm
When I right click my recycle bin and click empty it says:
"Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?"

Somehow... that doesn't sound right at all. When I open my recycle bin I see
nothing. Without realizing what it said, I had clicked yes before and it
didn't do anything. I'm just wondering why it think my windows folder is in
the recycle bin? It just sorta freaks me out that WinXP thinks that it's in
the recycle bin. I'm scared to reboot... it might not come back up... :-\

HELP!
-Dion

probably just deleted a folder Called WINDOWS.

dion

Sep 24, 2002, 9:57pm
.... I didn't... and if I did, it won't delete and it's not showing up in my
recycle bin when I look in it.

[View Quote]

themask 13

Sep 24, 2002, 11:39pm
if you deleted windows, it would of said all these erros that these files
are in use, etc.

dion

Sep 24, 2002, 11:43pm
Well I know I didn't delete Windows, I'm just wondering what's going on. It
seems like a strange bug so if I reboot, it might delete it in DOS or who
knows what. Just seems strange and slightly frightening.

[View Quote]

themask 13

Sep 25, 2002, 12:10am
Norton anti-virus sucks, Get PC-Cillin 2002, better efficent program..
Norton does half of what it does

Ihave had it to, I think its the TEMP folder containing a folder called WINDOWS on XP

baron

Sep 25, 2002, 4:05pm
No MS operating system allows you to delete or even move to recycle bin files in use like system files in the Windows folder. Especialy Win2K/XP feature Windows File Protection which protects the files listed in %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache folder from deletion; you can try it yourself by deleting for example %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\winmine.exe (game Minesweeper), a couple seconds after you delete it it reappears in the system32 folder.

Anyway "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?" doesn't mean it is attempting to delete the OS heart folder, it could be a file with no extension named windows or a subfolder. If there is no such file/folder a Start->Run->chkdsk /f might help. You can also check/restore the original versions of system files through Start->Run->sfc /SCANNOW, keep the WinXP CD in the drive if you run SFC. I assume you have already run a full AV scan with the latest virus definitions.

-Baron

"themask 13" <rickyt50 at attbi.com> wrote in news:3d911b07$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Norton anti-virus sucks, Get PC-Cillin 2002, better efficent program..
> Norton does half of what it does

HUH?

What are you talking about? I don't see how this relates to what he said...

KAH

dion

Sep 25, 2002, 5:09pm
Alright, this got weirder.

I haven't done anything since I posted this and some how the recycle bin
icon is still shown as being full (has a paper thing in it) but when I
explore it, it is empty and it won't let me empty it (option is greyed out).

C:/_recycler or something like that, nuke everything in it

tony m

Sep 25, 2002, 8:59pm
[View Quote] >Alright, this got weirder.

>I haven't done anything since I posted this and some how the recycle bin
>icon is still shown as being full (has a paper thing in it) but when I
>explore it, it is empty and it won't let me empty it (option is greyed out).

This is an old Windows bug; just throw something in there and empty it.

dion

Sep 25, 2002, 9:31pm
Rather stupid that it should still be in WinXP

[View Quote]

talisan

Sep 26, 2002, 12:39am
Well, just get rid of the trashcan altogether, I hate the darn thing,
something the Mac OS pushed on Windows.... another stolen idea the MS people
had to add. Download from microsoft.com TweakUI for Windows XP, then go to
the Desktop item on the list and uncheck the Trashcan, will remove it from
your desktop and you never have to see it again.

[View Quote]

dion

Sep 26, 2002, 12:52am
I like to see it, I don't feel comfortable if I don't know that my trashcan
is empty :-P

[View Quote]

talisan

Sep 26, 2002, 1:04am
Do you EVER take stuff out of the trash can? You can just turn off the trash
can ability. Right click on your Recycle Bin(bleh) and Properties, adjust
your sliders down to zero for each drive. Then download TweakUI, turn off
the darn thing, and then you will never have anything in your trashcan or
ever have to see it again. Hehe :))

[View Quote]

dion

Sep 26, 2002, 2:02am
I've never had to take something out of my trash can but I'm paranoid like
that. :-P

[View Quote] Mm trashcans are a good thing, just in case you accidently hit enter to deleteing
things when you didn't mean to. Saved my school life a couple of times. KDE and
Gnome both use the recycling bin, it's a desktop standard nowadays.

Ah ha! So it does *replaces it with a dummy file before windows copies it back and watches windows go kaboom*