Disk Usage Bug (General Discussion)

Disk Usage Bug // General Discussion

1  |

lord fett

Sep 24, 2002, 3:09am
I just recently looked at my Disk Usage tab in the Settings as I was paging through trying to find a certain option, and I came
across a bug. The "Disk Space currently in use" calculator is buggy. It says I am using

-617.0 Megabyes when I am actually using about 3.39 Gigabytes of space hehe cause I have No Limit on and it just keeps racking
up stuff for each world I go to.

Here is a picture of the Disk Usage tab. http://www.vectracon.com/images/diskusage_bug.jpg

-Lord Fett

linn

Sep 24, 2002, 4:52am
and is this why some of us have to load over and over upon re entry?
[View Quote]

lord fett

Sep 24, 2002, 12:00pm
not sure If a world has a low object refresh, then you have to load the world over and over again often. If the object refresh is
like 1 or around there, then you have to reload the world upon each visit.

[View Quote]

builderz

Sep 24, 2002, 1:25pm
The Disk Usage Tab has always been buggy for me ever since I can
remember. Sometimes it is a bit off, other times it just sticks at
"Calculating..." forever. However, I don't think I have ever seen it
report a negative number. Try and do a scandisk on your disk and see if
that helps.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

linn

Sep 24, 2002, 2:43pm
just checked the numbers then deleted cache browser re calculated but
didn't change the original number hummm
[View Quote]

wendel

Sep 24, 2002, 6:36pm
Possibly the discrepancy might be due to the difference between the actual
file size downloaded and the amount of disk space occupied by that file.
Some file systems, notably FAT16, are very inefficient and waste large
amounts of disk space.

W.

"lord fett" <lordfett at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3d8ff38d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I just recently looked at my Disk Usage tab in the Settings as I was
> paging through trying to find a certain option, and I came across a
> bug. The "Disk Space currently in use" calculator is buggy. It says I
> am using
>
> -617.0 Megabyes when I am actually using about 3.39 Gigabytes of
> space hehe cause I have No Limit on and it just keeps racking up
> stuff for each world I go to.

3.39GB is 3639984783 bytes. That would be more than a 32 bit integer could
hold, so I suppose that might be the problem. Overflows in AW create some
pretty interesting unexpected results (try setting terrain to something
like 500). I doubt the disk-space calculating code has been touched for
years, and hey, it's not that many years ago that 3.3GB was huge and nobody
would have such a large cache ;-))

> 3.39GB is 3639984783 bytes. That would be more than a 32 bit integer could
> hold, so I suppose that might be the problem. Overflows in AW create some
> pretty interesting unexpected results (try setting terrain to something
> like 500). I doubt the disk-space calculating code has been touched for
> years, and hey, it's not that many years ago that 3.3GB was huge and nobody
> would have such a large cache ;-))

Uhh, it just sets it to the max/min number on my computer if you try to do that.
Always has.

--Bowen--

the derek

Sep 24, 2002, 10:43pm
u sure? ive seen this happen on games a lot

[View Quote] yeah, I was talking about entering 500 in for the terrain #.

"bowen" <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com> wrote in
news:3d90e843 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Uhh, it just sets it to the max/min number on my computer if you try
> to do that. Always has.

In some cases (notably with negative numbers) it sets it to the inverse
maximum number. I suppose this is because the int is converted to an
unsigned int when it exceeds the max limit.