What to look for in a video card? (General Discussion)

What to look for in a video card? // General Discussion

1  2  |

chazrad

Jul 5, 2002, 10:43am
"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in news:3d258db3 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hmm very interesting stuff. :-)
> GF4400 w/ athlon gets ya 60fps average... sounds good to me :-)

with gf3/athlon about the same, with lows at 25 peaks till 97

paul

Jul 5, 2002, 6:48pm
I would get the 4400 it is a good bit faster than the 4200 but this all
assumes you have a Pentium 4.
If you have a P III less than 1gig then I don't thhink you will see much
difference in AW between a Geforce 2 gts or Geforce 3 or Geforce 4. These
new cards also need a FAST cpu to take advantage of the xtra speed. How
ever, the newer cards (aka Geforce 4) will have current support for DX 8 so
that is a factor.

Paul

[View Quote]

eric

Jul 5, 2002, 7:11pm
*just went out and got a geforce 4 ti4400 because hey, it was $250 plus a
$40 mail in rebate* Thanks everyone :)

[View Quote]

dion

Jul 5, 2002, 11:37pm
whoo! Eric's surfin through awteen at 50fps now! :-P

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jul 6, 2002, 2:10am
*boggle* at why nvidia is so popular. I've looked at a million benchmarks
and reviews, and ATI provides more power for the buck everytime. Just go to
pricewatch.com and look at the price comparison. Roughly, the 7500 compares
to the g3, the 8500 compares to the g4.

I'm looking forward to the Radeon 9700 which is due next week. First card
in the world with 128-bit color, and so powerful that it needs it's own 4
pin power cord to run the cooling, lol.

- SW Comit