Disappearing Telegrams & Other Problems (General Discussion)

Disappearing Telegrams & Other Problems // General Discussion

1  |

barbarae

Jul 1, 2002, 7:27am
Something weird just happened! I had a window full of telegrams disappear
on me!

I opened up AW and all I had was one telegram unopened waiting for me,
whereas last time I was in ( a few minutes previously) I had a whole list
full of opened ones! I even went back out and ran Andras' tgreader and all
it showed was the one new tgram in Telegram.dat!!!!

I'm not certain if this has anything to do with it, but I've been getting
the following error occasionally when I go to open AW:
"Sorry, Active Worlds has encountered a fatal disk error (reason17).
Unable to continue. (Tip: a system reboot can sometimes resolve this
problem.)"

But, oddly enough, I've found that all I have to do is click it closed, then
continue on with AW. I usually don't have to reboot at all. All my icons
are still in my Systray so I just go on.

Oh, something else sometimes happens also. Occasionally, I find my view
window switching from the current scene up to the panorama with the blue
background below--no ground. I find I usually have to wind up leaving AW,
then come back in to get back to where I was. It can happen while, I'm
typing, moving my mouse, or not even doing anything. It happens while I'm
in my own world, or anywhere else.

I'm running the current version of AW 3.3 (build 419) on my Pentium3,
600Mhz, 256MB RAM, 32MB VRam, approx 60MB HD, at 1024x768 resolution in
Win98SE.

Thanks in advance for any help given!!

Curious and curiouser...

Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbara Eisner aka Barbarae

Definitely sounds like something got fooked up... Maybe a fresh install
would fix it?

[View Quote] > Something weird just happened! I had a window full of telegrams disappear
> on me!
>
> I opened up AW and all I had was one telegram unopened waiting for me,
> whereas last time I was in ( a few minutes previously) I had a whole list
> full of opened ones! I even went back out and ran Andras' tgreader and all
> it showed was the one new tgram in Telegram.dat!!!!
>
> I'm not certain if this has anything to do with it, but I've been getting
> the following error occasionally when I go to open AW:
> "Sorry, Active Worlds has encountered a fatal disk error (reason17).
> Unable to continue. (Tip: a system reboot can sometimes resolve this
> problem.)"
>
> But, oddly enough, I've found that all I have to do is click it closed, then
> continue on with AW. I usually don't have to reboot at all. All my icons
> are still in my Systray so I just go on.
>
> Oh, something else sometimes happens also. Occasionally, I find my view
> window switching from the current scene up to the panorama with the blue
> background below--no ground. I find I usually have to wind up leaving AW,
> then come back in to get back to where I was. It can happen while, I'm
> typing, moving my mouse, or not even doing anything. It happens while I'm
> in my own world, or anywhere else.
>
> I'm running the current version of AW 3.3 (build 419) on my Pentium3,
> 600Mhz, 256MB RAM, 32MB VRam, approx 60MB HD, at 1024x768 resolution in
> Win98SE.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given!!
>
> Curious and curiouser...
>
> Barbara of Amberlin
> aka Barbara Eisner aka Barbarae

Sounds like someone on the beta team! :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

This has happened to me several times, it seems AW has a limit to how many
telegrams (or rather how many bytes of telegram data) it will store and if
it exceeds that limit it deletes all of them, which is really annoying.

KAH

the derek

Jul 1, 2002, 8:26pm
yup all u gotta do is delete them though... i havent had this problem as
much after 2.2 though...
[View Quote]

andras

Jul 2, 2002, 12:25am
[View Quote] I did not find any limits yet (I have my telegram.dat file exceeding several megabytes!)

Andras

the derek

Jul 2, 2002, 3:46am
i think it has to do with your system... probably a memory thing... cause
mine is huge right now but ive had it where it crashes with a relatively
small tgram file

"andras" <andras at andras.net> wrote in news:3D210A4D.CC7F1180 at andras.net:

> I did not find any limits yet (I have my telegram.dat file exceeding
> several megabytes!)

Hmmm, I've only had it occur whith immense telegram files (I never delete
them) and when I opened the telegram list right after I started AW when
it's under the heaviest load of the session (well, usually, sometimes it
reaches the climax at events like the Avvy Awards and the Cys), might have
something to do with that. A very annoying bug nonetheless, and it should
be fixed promptly.