has the world come to an end!? (General Discussion)

has the world come to an end!? // General Discussion

1  |

zeo toxion

Mar 15, 2002, 7:45pm
it looks like the computer world has finnally come to an end...

I've been looking for a good laptop lately. Has everyone switched to Pentium
ready computers or what!? The only two laptops i found with AMDs were the
cheapest model of Compaqs and the cheapest model of Sony Vios (although you
can customize them)...its an outrage. They're all Pentium 3's and 4's.
Although i've heard a lot of bad things about P4's im not sure about P3's
but i just woudl rather stear clear of them all together.

It's really frustrating me that they cant even make you decide but they
force you to choose pentiums on all models but one (on some places) They
should at least give us variety with AMDs.

-Zeo

dion

Mar 15, 2002, 8:00pm
http://store.yahoo.com/shopnetlux/nx-7321.html

buy one with an Intel CPU, buy an AMD CPU, replace the Intel CPU with the
AMD, sell your brand new, unused Intel. :-))

joeman

Mar 16, 2002, 12:34pm
Some mobos cant do that switch. Watch out, or you may be out of luck.

-Joe

[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 16, 2002, 12:48pm
Hmm it might be easier and cheaper to build a computer from scratch.. just
to make sure you can use the AMD :)

-Silenced

[View Quote]

wendel

Mar 16, 2002, 1:40pm
You might have a better chance of learning what AMD laptops are on the
market and their reliability by posting your question to: comp.sys.laptops.

[View Quote]

robbie

Mar 17, 2002, 5:25pm
he might not have usenet access.

-Robbie

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 17, 2002, 7:27pm
I didn't even know you could build a laptop from scratch!
:-?

[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 17, 2002, 7:36pm
If you can get the casing for it you could probably do it.

-Silenced

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 17, 2002, 7:38pm
well, it's definately not built like a regular computer. I think all the
parts are pretty much soldered into one gigantic chip.

[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 17, 2002, 7:40pm
hmm, well look around, might be a book on how to do it. I'm don't own a
laptop so I can't tell you personally :\

-Silenced

anyone has... lots of USENET servers that don't "discriminate" based on IP
and such to only let a certain ISP's customers access it... I myself run a
mirror of the no.alt.activeworlds group on my NNTP server :-))

You can't do it. There are no consumer parts for laptops out on the market.
All the companies use proprietary parts or parts specialized for laptops
that are not openly available. At any rate, buying miniaturized components
will likely cost much more than just buying the same model from a dealer.

SW Chris
[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 19, 2002, 7:26pm
Ah right, should just take electronic engineering and make yourself one from
scratch ;). That'd be funny to see if someone would do that.

dion

Mar 19, 2002, 9:57pm
you can't. The tiny ones are done by computers that do not vibrate at all.
it is impossible for a person to have that sort of precision

[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 19, 2002, 10:01pm
LoL you can make them anyway you want, just layer chips if you need room,
sure it won't be tiny as hell but it'll be portable ;). Most of the size of
a computer is empty space, just build a frame that can hold all the parts
you need (might be heavy).

If we're talking about adding a monitor to it too that would require a lot
more work :)

dion

Mar 19, 2002, 10:09pm
hehe, or just buy a buncha different laptops and try sodering different
parts together :-P
[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 19, 2002, 10:25pm
Yeah if you're rich ;) In which case just get a laptop specially made by
gateway or dell or something like that.

u can get laptops specially made for u from the sony website, and it aint
that much more then a normal one.
[View Quote]

puckman

Apr 3, 2002, 12:34pm
in article 3c926b5f at server1.Activeworlds.com, zeo toxion at
cozmo at activeworlds.com wrote on 15/03/2002 21:45:
> I've been looking for a good laptop lately. Has everyone switched to Pentium
> ready computers or what!? The only two laptops i found with AMDs were the
> cheapest model of Compaqs and the cheapest model of Sony Vios (although you
> can customize them)...its an outrage. They're all Pentium 3's and 4's.
> Although i've heard a lot of bad things about P4's im not sure about P3's
> but i just woudl rather stear clear of them all together.

Well, you could go for the low power usage, faster than pentium mhz
powerbooks by Apple powered with PPC processors. Even the graphic chips
aboard these babies outperform many wintel laptops, one problem though.

Activeworlds is to lazy to code a mac frontend to the Mac compatible
renderware engine. This is the only reason why I got myself a Wintel box, it
just sits there in the corner with a 20gb hd dedicated to running
activeworlds... :)

Gerard