Another Question (General Discussion)

Another Question // General Discussion

1  2  |

lanezeri

Aug 25, 2001, 5:14pm
Okay, there is this person in AW, whom thinks he made an OS.. he persists to
say he makes Windows run from a DOS command prompt, without a bootdisk, or
dual-boot. AND he said he made this OS in VB. Now tell me this, do you
really think this person made a WORKING OS that does something useful in VB?

lanezeri

Aug 25, 2001, 5:20pm
These are ALL t-grams from CompuFreak:

no boot disk involved, windows doesn't load on its own

I did make an OS, I made it in VB, it is entirely self contained, and it
allows you to write and run programs in its own language

plus, it doesn't have to control the entire system to be an OS, it only has
to provide some control of it to the program running within it in addition
to providing some functionality not available without the OS

umm.... I had a computer that ran DOS, and I installed windows.. it starts
up in DOS as before and I do type a command line to load windows

my OS does not run dos or windows programs so it is NOT A SHELL

besides, where in the definition of an operating system does it say that it
can't run inside another operating system?

and what about emulators? yuo can emulate a macintosh inside windows..... it
MacOS no longer an operating system???

BeOS is also run through Windows... even though there's a standalone version
as well

I thought Visual Basic depended on runtimes found in windows to translate
the commands written in VB-code to 1's and 0's? If this is true, then an OS
written in VB can't run without windows... unless he's somehow programmed
the runtimes into the OS. And I don't think that is possible. How odd.. a
VisualBasic OS. hehe. Ask him to send me a copy.

SW Chris
[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 25, 2001, 7:37pm
I asked for a copy too, that is when he ignored me lol.

As for KAH, there IS a stand-alone version tho, his is just in Windows, made
in VB, which required Windows files to run. Get it now?

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X Bot & World Hosting

[View Quote]

agent1

Aug 25, 2001, 7:54pm
An OS can't be written in VB; it requires Windows to run. Unless it can boot the computer without command.com, it's not a separate OS but only a shell used for DOS/Windows.

yes, but that doesn't matter... the standalone version is another piece of
software. and I said there was a standalone version, maybe you need glasses?

lanezeri

Aug 25, 2001, 9:21pm
Yes, but he doesn't understand this.. he swears he made a OS..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X Bot & World Hosting
http://aw.stuff-x.com

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 25, 2001, 9:25pm
Maybe you need to learn how to type?

"BeOS is also run through Windows... even though there's a standalone
version
as well"

You totally missed the point anyway, the point is to show you that he says
he made a OS in VB.. you CANT make an OS in VB.. get it NOW?

What I meant by "there IS a stand-alone version", BeOS DOES, meaning it
doesn't need Windows (or does it?) however his doesn't.. it's just software
that runs with Windows.

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X Bot & World Hosting
http://aw.stuff-x.com

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 25, 2001, 9:41pm
In all technicalities, Windows 9x isn't an OS either. Simply a DOS GUI.

you could regard it as an OS, at least if you regard any version of Windows
an OS... Windows is just a nice little GUI and command line interpreter for
DOS...

How true, how true. =P

SW Chris

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 26, 2001, 1:33am
And why the heck was I allowed to post :P
(ignore this message if you don't know WTF I'm talkin about)
[View Quote]

builderz

Aug 26, 2001, 11:31am
The trial version of BeOS I downloaded a few years ago ran inside of
Windows, but I think you had to reboot to get back into Windows. It was
so long ago I forget. I also know there are some flavors of Linux that
can run in DOS and in Windows. Take the SuSE Live Eval CD for instance.
I believe it can run under Windows off of a CD without you having to
install anything.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://aw.stuff-x.com/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

considering that Lanezeri also could post in his ban period, the user DB
obviously is messed up... or maybe the software is messed up... oh well,
it's the AWC's loss anyway ;-))

lanezeri

Aug 26, 2001, 3:31pm
What the hell does this have to do with anything? you idoit.. What he made
ISNT a OS, yet a shell.. that was the whole point of the post.. to get other
people's opinions.. he told me Windows runs inside DOS.. now KAH.. does
Windows run inside DOS?

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

yes, and if you're too stupid to understand/accept that, just don't post. So
if his thingy is a shell, Windows is a shell. Actually that's correct, but
it sounds nicer to call Windows an OS...

lanezeri

Aug 26, 2001, 6:03pm
WINDOWS IS NOT A SHELL IDIOT! So you mean Windows ME is a shell even tho it
uses a DOS emulator not DOS itself.. and Windows NT is a shell too I guess?
Don't speak.. you make no sence..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

THE EARTH IS NOT ROUND IDIOT! man, look at reality, why do you think DOS
boots up, huh? DOS emulator my ass, it's just to make ppl like you think it
ain't using DOS anymore... and if you're not gonna accept that Windows is
run inside DOS (read it's a shell), then forget it, go and believe that it
isn't and don't reply to this post, because I have no interest to try to
make you realize something when you won't accept it.

lanezeri

Aug 26, 2001, 9:30pm
YOUR A FUCKING IDIOT!! I SWEAR YOU'VE BEEN DIPPED IN THE IDIOT POOL TOO
MUCH!

Windows is ran ON TOP OF DOS. NOT THRU, OR INSIDE DOS.. damnit.. get a
book.. learn to crack.. figure out a way to look beyond the pretty little
GUI it has and look at it.. please do.. you'll see your wrong.. without
windows not a damn person could do anything..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

Ugh... I told you not to reply if you wouldn't accept that Windows is a
shell... maybe you didn't read that... On top off?? get a sense of reality!
you don't run OSes "on top" of others! that isn't possible! but what IS
possible is to run it from inside and get ppl to you that it's not run from
an OS technology which over 20 years old!!!!! It's just that they made it
possible to display high-res gfx, and because of more advanced hardware that
Windows looks so advanced!

KAH
PS. if you're STILL not gonna accept that Windows is a shell, then just
FORGET IT!!! DON'T REPLY!!!

[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Aug 27, 2001, 12:37pm
windows any version of from 1.0 to even xp is still built on a dos base
WinMe is defently a shell win 9.x is a shell and win2k is a shell.
there are way to see this you can strip all the gui away and it will still
run.
You can boot to a comand prompt only for one you cant do that in non shell
os.
i havent seen xp but like the rest i kinda figure it to has a comand promt
only mode and even if it doest that doesnt meen that dos isnt there just
meens it harder to get at.

I think we're having some problems with the definitions of the term
Operating System, Shell, and what Windows really is.

DOS is an operating system. Windows is built upon DOS. You can bypass
Windows and boot to the command prompt (DOS). You can shut down Windows and
return to DOS mode from Windows. Windows ME runs a DOS emulator, not DOS
itself, although they are essentially the same thing.

I think Windows is not a shell because it is built upon DOS. Windows does
not run inside of it, like x-Windows for UNIX or Linux. However I don't
think it is an operating system either, because it needs DOS to run.

So what is MacOS 10? MacOS 9 is an operating system, because it wasn't
built upon anything and doens't need another operating system to run. But
now MacOS 10 has a command line. :) However it's still an OS for the same
reasons Mac OS 9 is an OS. Simply because you can run DOS or exit to DOS
from inside Windows doesn't make it a shell.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 27, 2001, 5:59pm
Tell me this.. can you run DOS and create files? edit them files, run EXE
files? NOPE.. Windows is a OS.. plain and simple.. because of this..

Windows runs ON TOP of DOS.. get it thru ur heads.. without DOS, Windows
would be nothing, you are right about that.. but without Windows, what is
DOS?

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 27, 2001, 6:06pm
[View Quote] Yes, yes and yes.

jfk2 builder

Aug 27, 2001, 7:29pm
When you boot your computer and you hit the HOT KEY COMBINATION to
bring up the menu... 1 - Default
2 - Windows with network support
3 - Windows in safe mode
4 - Command Prompt [normal with support files]
5 - Command [basic with just command loaded]

and you pick 4 Command prompt with some files loaded [sound & or 3d
video]

THAT IS MS-DOS... Windows files have NOT LOADED YET.
You are running in 100% MS-DOS and can run anything you want so long as
it's MS-DOS program It's when you type EXIT you just sit there at the
prompt C:\ line with your curser blinking... THAT IS DOS... You
could still type WIN and hit enter to go into WINDOWS like in days of
old... Sometimes i do that to delete some DLL file from a running
program test. I test a windows program and it does a common register of
a DLL file. and in some cases i have to go into MS-DOS mode just to
delete the DLL file from the test directory. So when i reboot windows
it will find all the dll's as it did before and no harm done. So yes...
Windows 95, 98 is a SHELL... But because it boots to windows so
fast... Most people never see MS-DOS anymore and you ASSUME Windows
95, 98 to be the only OS on their computers. In reality they have 2
OS's on their computers. DOS v7 and Windows 95, 98...

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at stuff-x.com> wrote in
news:3b895625 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> WINDOWS IS NOT A SHELL IDIOT! So you mean Windows ME is a shell even
> tho it uses a DOS emulator not DOS itself.. and Windows NT is a shell
> too I guess? Don't speak.. you make no sence..
>
> --
>
> Lanezeri
> Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
> http://aw.stuff-x.com

lanezeri

Aug 27, 2001, 9:26pm
Okay smart ass.. you create a program FROM DOS.. and I'll bow down and kiss
your feet..

Didn't think you could..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

[View Quote]

wing

Aug 27, 2001, 9:57pm
Heh, I can't, but it's possible dimwit. Have a look at 90% of all games made before 1995. Fire up an actual copy of DOS and type
"edit"

Also, in your original message, you said creating files from DOS. edit c:/newfile.txt
run EXE files... Switch to the dir and type the name, assuming it's a DOS EXE file.
Edit files. edit c:/oldfile.txt

Some programming computer courses require you to learn how to program in
DOS. Windows is niether an operating system, nor a shell.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 27, 2001, 11:16pm
Since you are stupid as well.. here is the e-mail KAH got back typed
completely by my friend.. he knows more than anyone who even reads this NG..

<E-Mail to KAH>
Then try to explain why i wrote a complete linux system that exists
completely on its own, using no api functions or permissions from windows,
but runs from and at the same time as windows. Actually if you would take
the time to learn what the fuck you are talking about before judging someone
else you might be able to make a valid point. The new generation of windows
doesnt even run dos, it runs a dos emulator to be backwards compatable. When
dos first started it was a stand alone with just a windows shell, that i
will give you, but incase you havent noticed yet (obviously you havent)
windows is now the stand alone and dos is just emulated so that lamers like
you can still run your ancient assed programs. Just for your personal info,
(since you seem to be such a lame ass), win 3.1,95,and 98 were actually a
GUI (if you know what the hell that even means) Win ME changed to being a
stand alone. So all this bullshit about windows being a shell and an
operating system are from idiots, its a GUI dumbfucks.

Love ya lots,

Lanezeri
Written by Deisel79 (who is obviously more talented than thou)

<End E-Mail>