Another Question (General Discussion)

Another Question // General Discussion

1  2  |

john viper

Aug 28, 2001, 8:16am
Its a good idea. I have a pre-1990 version of C that was out far before
Windows. I used it because it was what I had up until just a few years
ago. I think that if it weren't for it that I would not perhaps be how
I am today. Wonderful experience, it was, and even Y2K friendly!

Of course, the OTHER way of programming in DOS, editing a file in a hex
editor and REALLY hacking... never was able to do that, but I can
imagine it must have been the most exhilirating experience........

*sigh* Back in those good ol' days........................

COMMODORE RULES! WE SHOULD ALL USE COMMODORES!!! C=!!!!!!

ok im done now

-JV

[View Quote] > Some programming computer courses require you to learn how to program in
> DOS. Windows is niether an operating system, nor a shell.
>
> SW Chris

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

jfk2 builder

Aug 28, 2001, 7:21pm
I'm one of the old FARTS that grew up on DOS to a certain degree.
So if i didn't have WINDOWS anything... It would be a little tricker to
use DOS for the internet. But NOT impossible.

ARCANE.EXE = A MS-DOS package that is your DOS internet thing. It has
it's own TCP-IP-SLIP/PPP software there and it's own email, ftp, telnet
picture viewer & sound player all in one package. [Self extracting EXE
file]

But that is one program i could use to access the internet with.
YES... It's own web browser... All dos based stuff.

PLUS i can edit any file i want and any size up top my hard drive space
limit if i really want to do it. I can play all the MS-DOS games like
I did before. I can even use my QBASIC programming stuff and play any
of those saved files [apx 800 megs of QBASIC files]

I can even play MP3 files and watch MOV, AVI, RA, files and play most
any sound file i want in MS-DOS...

there is still a user base that wants MS-DOS and that is why i've got
bookmarked various url's that deal with MS-DOS Software. www.simtel.net
= Software for Windows & MS-DOS www.zdnet.com has software going back
far enough &/or lists software that is MS-DOS based. Yes it has mostly
Windows software... But they have a listing that goes back to 1995 of
files. it used to be an easy FTP to some university to find PC Software
and look for DOS or MS-DOS directory to find umpteen tons of MS-DOS
software listed. ftp://something.edu/pub/pc/software/packages/ms-dos/ =
Example path to software on a university FTP site.

So i could do many things in MS-DOS... I still have my Supra 56k
modem... So if i wanted to have Telix make a BBS call with that... I
still could.

So with me... I could do almost what i do now in MS-DOS only... but
i'm used to MS-DOS and most people are not. But those that were using a
computer for the past 10 yrs or so might be able to do ms-dos... Others
are thinking what TYPE OF FOREIGN ANIMAL IS THAT?

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at stuff-x.com> wrote in
news:3b8af0e3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Since you are stupid as well.. here is the e-mail KAH got back typed
> completely by my friend.. he knows more than anyone who even reads
> this NG..
>
><E-Mail to KAH>
> Then try to explain why i wrote a complete linux system that exists
> completely on its own, using no api functions or permissions from
> windows, but runs from and at the same time as windows. Actually if
> you would take the time to learn what the fuck you are talking about
> before judging someone else you might be able to make a valid point.
> The new generation of windows doesnt even run dos, it runs a dos
> emulator to be backwards compatable. When dos first started it was a
> stand alone with just a windows shell, that i will give you, but
> incase you havent noticed yet (obviously you havent) windows is now
> the stand alone and dos is just emulated so that lamers like you can
> still run your ancient assed programs. Just for your personal info,
> (since you seem to be such a lame ass), win 3.1,95,and 98 were
> actually a GUI (if you know what the hell that even means) Win ME
> changed to being a stand alone. So all this bullshit about windows
> being a shell and an operating system are from idiots, its a GUI
> dumbfucks.
>

> Love ya lots,
>
> Lanezeri
> Written by Deisel79 (who is obviously more talented than thou)
>
><End E-Mail>

jfk2 builder

Aug 28, 2001, 7:27pm
Well.... That is why on some of those DEBUG script files to be
compiled to a com or exe thing... There are many excellent
programmers that use DEBUG <something.scr to create a com or exe or zip
file or anything for that matter... I've had to edit the HEX of those
files and have written a few special programs to take care of their
little flaws without changing their programs. It just added a few
frills to their programs and things they forgot to do. SO yeah... It
was fun doing HEX editing of exe & com files and creating some
el-hack-workaround for them....

"john viper" <jviper at jtsoft.net> wrote in
news:3B8B6F0C.4040203 at jtsoft.net:

> Its a good idea. I have a pre-1990 version of C that was out far
> before Windows. I used it because it was what I had up until just a
> few years ago. I think that if it weren't for it that I would not
> perhaps be how I am today. Wonderful experience, it was, and even
> Y2K friendly!
>
> Of course, the OTHER way of programming in DOS, editing a file in a
> hex editor and REALLY hacking... never was able to do that, but I can
> imagine it must have been the most exhilirating experience........
>
> *sigh* Back in those good ol' days........................
>
> COMMODORE RULES! WE SHOULD ALL USE COMMODORES!!! C=!!!!!!
>
> ok im done now
>
> -JV

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 28, 2001, 8:03pm
What the hell does that have to do with my reply to KAH fucknut?

[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Aug 28, 2001, 8:33pm
You didn't reply to KAH :-)

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 28, 2001, 9:19pm
I know.. what the hell does what JFK2's post have to do with the e-mail my
friend sent KAH?

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X

Um... because linux stands alone from windows and DOS?

Oh geez lane, it's not a question of what it physically is... it's a
question of terminology. It always has been. We are all operating on
different definitions of the terms Operating System, Shell, and GUI. So if
you are so all-knowledgeable, please, tell us.... what are the official
definitions of those terms so that we may correctly place Windows into its
proper category?

SW Chris

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 29, 2001, 9:30am
My friend sent that.. not me.. so he'd have to answer it..

--

Lanezeri
Lead Bot Programmer at Stuff-X
http://aw.stuff-x.com

As long as we get the "official" definitions I don't care who answers it.
:)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Sep 2, 2001, 10:28am
there are dos versions of c++ and not to mention asm basic delphi etc
also here one i bet you didnt know freeked me when i first seen it.
there is a dos version 7 on floppys
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Sep 2, 2001, 10:30am
hmm interesting idea kind of a hybid now ill give you that but it still
leans towards shell more than os.
you know hounestly id like to hear eeps take on this <<not being sarcastic
here
[View Quote]

lanezeri

Sep 2, 2001, 1:25pm
Yes.. but he couldn't make one.. that was the whole point, he could try, but
it wouldn't happen. The point of the whole post was to see who thinks the
person made a SHELL instead of an OS. Which he made a SHELL not an OS. You
people (idiots) can think what you want about Windows being a SHELL or OS.
I think it is a OS because it IS, but I don't want to hear anymore crap
about what everyone else thinks, anyone who wants to share their opinion
ANYWAY, will get filtered.