Idiot Report (Wishlist)

Idiot Report // Wishlist

1  2  |

silenced

May 27, 2002, 8:17pm
Because you're not an Uber programmer.

This is some source from your post:

"!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alter weather to suite the =
season?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If u happen to have 12 backdrops / =
Skyboxes (3 for=20
each season) a tornado avatar and a few lighting objects or equivilent =
(and of=20
course CT) I can easily put that in... its just a matter of a) finding =
some=20
place in the darn bot to put it, im way into the double figures on =
frames. And=20
b) creating a very simple If, ElseIf, EndIf function based on the data =
with the=20
lil sdk.awworldattribute set. ^_^.</FONT></DIV>"

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3cf2afc8 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hmm, then how come if i make a lil program to show me the code for
> rich text it comes up as something compeltly differnt to HTML with
> about 30 brackets per line?

Because you made it look in the wrong place? You don't need to write any
app to get it, just use microsoft telnet instead (Start > Run > type
"telnet", without quotes). Connect to news.activeworlds.com on port 119.
Then copy this into notepad and edit the username and PW, copy the edited
version and use edit > paste in telnet and it will send you the entire
article you posted (turn logging on so you can see any more than the 20
last lines):

AUTHINFO USER username
AUTHINFO PASS password
GROUP wishlist
ARTICLE 35752

to log out type QUIT and hit enter (you might need to hit enter to get
the article when you pasted the above). Never mind the last bit of it )
the attached pics) and the MIME part of "quoted-printable" type at the
top, just the one with your message. It's in HTML :-))

Eck, i tried that, forgot the news subdomain and got a nasty warning off AWC

heh, they probably have something like the uniserver citizen data file on
the telnet :P

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 MS Sans
Serif;}{\f1\froman\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue255;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2057\f0\fs17\{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\{\\fo
nttbl\{\\f0\\froman\\fcharset0 Times New Roman;\}\{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 MS
Sans Serif;\}\}
\par \{\\colortbl ;\\red0\\green0\\blue255;\}
\par
\pard\sb100\sa100\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\sb100\\sa100\\lang2057\\f0\\fs24
"strike rapier" <\\cf1\\ul strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk
<mailto:strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk>\\cf0\\ulnone > wrote \f1\fs24
"strike rapier" <\cf1\ul strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk
<mailto:strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk>\cf0\ulnone > wrote in \cf1\ul
\par at server1.Activeworlds.com:
\par
\par > Thought mine sent in rich text >_<
\par
\par The menu says rich text, but it actually means HTML. :-))
\par
\par KAH
\par \pard\f0\fs17
\par
\par }

is what i get for RichText

silenced

May 28, 2002, 7:41pm
Did you happen to read what I put? You're not the best programmer in the
world and this is most likely a mess up in your program itself. Read the
source, you don't need to create some bass ackwards program to do something
that's so simple to get.

Btw, if you use that same program to check an HTML page I bet the same stuff
will pop up. If not, you definately messed up.

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

Where in hell did you get that stuff from???? My guess is that you looked
in OE's message cache, which may save stuff in RTF, I don't know. The way
to read your message only using OE is to right click it, click
"Properties..." from the menu, go to the Source tab and click the "Full
source" button. Anyway, if you follow my instructions about how to fetch a
news post from the NNTP server directly you'll see that it is indeed HTML.

KAH

pc hamster

May 30, 2002, 12:40am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] KAH, this isn't always an option in some news readers. What newsreader are
you running??? Better yet, what VERSION of it are you running???

Sounds like you need to UPGRADE some of your software. You can do so quite
easily by going to http://catchup.cnet.com/ and download the little program
the site uses. It's kinda like running Windows Update. Ya really ought to
try it sometime.

BTW...WHO were you calling a morfon earlier??? Just curious....

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
Owner - Pub 102X (An ActiveWorlds 3D Homepage)
Mayor - City of Hamsterville (A town on AlphaWorld)
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

silenced

May 30, 2002, 9:12am
> (Format
>
> KAH, this isn't always an option in some news readers. What newsreader
are
> you running??? Better yet, what VERSION of it are you running???

It is in OE, at least all I've seen. Unless of course you're using the
stuff that came bundled with XP, then I shall laugh.

Downgrading would be the obvious choice to upgrade. Don't need so many
fancy menus and programs with flashy graphics as you need something that
does what it needs to do ;)

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:3cf59114$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi everyone:
>
> KAH, this isn't always an option in some news readers. What
> newsreader are you running??? Better yet, what VERSION of it are you
> running???
>
> Sounds like you need to UPGRADE some of your software. You can do so
> quite easily by going to http://catchup.cnet.com/ and download the
> little program the site uses. It's kinda like running Windows Update.
> Ya really ought to try it sometime.
>
> BTW...WHO were you calling a morfon earlier??? Just curious....
>
> Cheers for now everyone :-)
>
> Patrick Cook

Actually, I checked what newsreader he was using, and he was indeed using
OE, which has the option (and unfortunately defaults to replying in
HTML). As a matter of fact, I have the latest version of my newsreader,
and it does support HTML (in a way, it decodes the MIME part containing
the HTML message and I have to open it in a web browser to read the
message). But HTML is a bad thing on news, it should NEVER be used, if
someone REALLY needs to show things with fancy colours, then they give us
a link instead. HTML posts do not conform with news standards, which
everyone using news should respect. I'm running XNews version L5, I
recommend it strongly (get it at http://xnews.newsguy.com) :-)) I called
Tyrell a moron, and I've done it countless times before for his
systematic HTML posting and completely ignoring news standards and
generally being annoying.

Erm, actualy the program works perfectly.. it was to show the formatting
usined in RTF from just what i copied and pasted into a box

silenced

Jun 1, 2002, 2:07pm
Mayhaps it converts everything you put there into RTF. Or just translates
HTML into RTF.

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3cf8ecf4
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Erm, actualy the program works perfectly.. it was to show the formatting
> usined in RTF from just what i copied and pasted into a box

Anyway, even if your message was RTF formated, it's JUST as bad as HTML,
the ONLY good thing for posting news messages is plain text, end of story.