MP3 Support (Wishlist)

MP3 Support // Wishlist

1  |

midnight thunder

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7F7A.5EC6FCA0

I think it would be nice if AW supported MP3. Most MP3's are only 3-5 =
megabytes, and much less if they are zipped. On a 56k or even 28k modem, =
dowloading should't take too long.

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7F7A.5EC6FCA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Lucida Sans">I think it would be nice =
if AW=20
supported MP3. Most MP3's are only 3-5 megabytes, and much less if they =
are=20
zipped. On a 56k or even 28k modem, dowloading should't take =
<EM>too</EM>=20
long.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF7F7A.5EC6FCA0--

percipient

Feb 25, 2000, 6:29pm
[View Quote] As long as they could be turned off at will. AW is slow enough as it
is, but if it had to decode an MP3 at the same time, it would probably make
some of the older machines look like this. (Wraps a hand around his throat
and makes gurgling noises.)
However, I've never ran AW and had Winamp (www.winamp.com) play an MP3
at the same time. Maybe I should try it.

serac

Feb 25, 2000, 6:34pm
> As long as they could be turned off at will. AW is slow enough as it
> is, but if it had to decode an MP3 at the same time, it would probably
make
> some of the older machines look like this. (Wraps a hand around his
throat
> and makes gurgling noises.)
> However, I've never ran AW and had Winamp (www.winamp.com) play an MP3
> at the same time. Maybe I should try it.

Don't! I used to run MusicMatch and AW at the same time. Granted, I was
playing MP3's off my dad's share on our network, but we have a 100mb/s
ethernet connection. I just think that AW sucks up a lot of CPU cycles.
For the most part I could listen to MusicMatch, but every so often it would
skip. Lately, I've just been listening to DMX (Digital Music eXpress)--a
service from AT&T Cable Services.

jippydawg

Feb 25, 2000, 11:19pm
The truth of the matter is that if AWCOM implemented MP3's they would
get their at $$es sued off, like Napster. They could be blamed for all
sorts of illegal copyright issues with pirated songs. Even tho there
are legit MP3's, people would abuse the privledge. If you want to
listen to a song simultaneously with AW, Winamp doesn't cause much lag
on this computer (PII 266 mhz, cable modem, 64mb RAM). Music Match, on
the other hand, is a larger program and does cause lag.

-jippydawg

[View Quote]

serac

Feb 26, 2000, 7:48am
True. I bet both AW and MusicMatch were hogging the processor. Almost like
little children, "Hey no that's MY cpu cycle!" And, "Mom! (referring to
the motherboard of course...)

P.S. Sorry for the cheezy humor... couldn't help it. :o)

[View Quote]

n0va

Feb 26, 2000, 11:39am
if aw alowed mp3s thered be way to many people that would try and load these
huge ones like 10 to 20 megs ive seen mp3 that are single files that have
the entirer cd in them is like import avs yeh its nice to have them for
people who know what they are doing and the like but then you get peeps who
dont but think they do and ruin it for evry one
and i dont want to see aw go down the tubes like blaxxun did

midnight thunder

Feb 26, 2000, 6:13pm
*Sigh* I suppose all of these things are true. Just a thought =)

[View Quote]

builderz

Feb 26, 2000, 11:07pm
--------------379B908D0CF9C8EBF2AD1C67

You could, however, limit the max size of MP3's just like you can do already
with JPEGs, WAVs, and MIDIs. Just add an "MP3" option under Options | Settings..
| Downloads Tab. MP3 may not be an option, but what about other formats such as
ASF, VQF, and streaming audio?

-Builderz
Earn Money Just By Surfing The Web! No Joke! Click here!

[View Quote] > if aw alowed mp3s thered be way to many people that would try and load these
> huge ones like 10 to 20 megs

--------------379B908D0CF9C8EBF2AD1C67

You could, however, limit the max size of MP3's just like you can do already
with JPEGs, WAVs, and MIDIs. Just add an "MP3" option under Options | Settings..
| Downloads Tab. MP3 may not be an option, but what about other formats
such as ASF, VQF, and streaming audio?
[View Quote] --------------379B908D0CF9C8EBF2AD1C67--

recils

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01BF830E.B5A2F640

Yeah limiting the size of mp3s would work. The mp3 area is probably not =
the safest place for AW to go right now, as pirating issues woul become =
huge. I'm sure 'mp3 warehouses' and such places would spring up, =
offering all sorts of songs.
Winamp doesnt take much CPU load (I run AW, Winamp, two Visual Studio =
instances and 3 browsers at once with no prob on my P2300 64meg comp).

My question is this... why doesn't someone just make a frontend for =
mp3s? Only people who are in to them are gonna use them/care anyway and =
they'd all download the frontend software. Not sure about AW third =
party software limitations, but that shouldnt be a prob. If a non =
working action tag such as
create mp3 URL
were used, the frontend would pick up on it(using the sdk), download the =
mp3 and play it using it's own engine.
Not to difficult....anyone feel up to it? I'll work on it if noone else =
will.
-RecilS
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0063_01BF830E.B5A2F640

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Yeah limiting the size of mp3s would =
work.&nbsp;=20
The mp3 area is probably not the safest place for AW to go right now, as =

pirating issues woul become huge.&nbsp; I'm sure 'mp3 warehouses' and =
such=20
places would spring up, offering all sorts of songs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Winamp doesnt take much CPU load (I run AW, Winamp, =
two Visual=20
Studio instances and 3 browsers at once with no prob on my P2300 64meg=20
comp).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My question is this... why doesn't someone just make =
a=20
frontend for mp3s?&nbsp; Only people who are in to them are gonna use =
them/care=20
anyway and they'd all download the frontend software.&nbsp; Not sure =
about AW=20
third party software limitations, but that shouldnt be a prob.&nbsp; If =
a non=20
working action tag such as</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>create mp3 URL</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>were used, the frontend would pick up on it(using =
the sdk),=20
download the mp3 and play it using it's own engine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Not to difficult....anyone feel up to it?&nbsp; I'll =
work on=20
it if noone else will.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-RecilS</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0063_01BF830E.B5A2F640--

wing cmdr

Mar 1, 2000, 11:33pm
You can already put MP3s into aw. well kinda. same trick as with
realaudio.

[View Quote] > I think it would be nice if AW supported MP3. Most MP3's are only 3-5
> megabytes, and much less if they are zipped. On a 56k or even 28k
> modem, dowloading should't take too long.

henry todd

------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01BF8B9B.03D2C680

[View Quote] Quite true... and unlike Napster, AWCOM really couldn't handle any big =
MP3-related legal issues.=20

But uh.. still... all hail Napster!
Winamp doesnt take much CPU load (I run AW, Winamp, two Visual Studio =
instances and 3 browsers at once with no prob on my P2300 64meg comp).
=20
My question is this... why doesn't someone just make a frontend for =
mp3s? Only people who are in to them are gonna use them/care anyway and =
they'd all download the frontend software. Not sure about AW third =
party software limitations, but that shouldnt be a prob. If a non =
working action tag such as
create mp3 URL
were used, the frontend would pick up on it(using the sdk), download =
the mp3 and play it using it's own engine.
Not to difficult....anyone feel up to it? I'll work on it if noone =
else will.

Plugins! AW needs to support plugins! For example a plugin to play MP3s =
when it reads "create mp3" or one that... Well whatever, but plugins are =
a must for a program like this. DLLs tossed into a /plugins directory =
and loaded on startup or some such setup... just like 3d studio max. =
Imagine the possibilities for 3rd party improvements to the software.

-RecilS
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01BF8B9B.03D2C680

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>recils &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:No at Yes.com">No at Yes.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:38bca1b7 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:38bca1b7 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Yeah limiting the size of mp3s =
would=20
work.&nbsp; The mp3 area is probably not the safest place for AW to go =
right=20
now, as pirating issues woul become huge.&nbsp; I'm sure 'mp3 =
warehouses' and=20
such places would spring up, offering all sorts of songs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Quite true... and unlike =
Napster, AWCOM=20
really couldn't handle any big MP3-related legal issues. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But uh.. still... all hail =

Napster!</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Winamp doesnt take much CPU load (I run AW, =
Winamp, two=20
Visual Studio instances and 3 browsers at once with no prob on my =
P2300 64meg=20
comp).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My question is this... why doesn't someone just =
make a=20
frontend for mp3s?&nbsp; Only people who are in to them are gonna use=20
them/care anyway and they'd all download the frontend software.&nbsp; =
Not sure=20
about AW third party software limitations, but that shouldnt be a =
prob.&nbsp;=20
If a non working action tag such as</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>create mp3 URL</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>were used, the frontend would pick up on it(using =
the sdk),=20
download the mp3 and play it using it's own engine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Not to difficult....anyone feel up to it?&nbsp; =
I'll work on=20
it if noone else will.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Plugins! AW needs to support plugins! =
For example a=20
plugin to play MP3s when it reads "create mp3" or one that... Well =
whatever, but=20
plugins are a must for a program like this. DLLs tossed into a /plugins=20
directory and loaded on startup or some such setup... just like 3d =
studio max.=20
Imagine the possibilities for 3rd party improvements to the=20
software.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-RecilS</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_00C2_01BF8B9B.03D2C680--

challagar

Apr 6, 2000, 11:40pm
Why not just have support for streaming audio instead of mp3s?