Astart Astop Animation guide (Community)

Astart Astop Animation guide // Community

1  |

sw comit

Oct 23, 2004, 5:28pm
I was recently questioned on how some events in Sharman Caves Adventure
worked, so I wrote up this AAA guide to explain the concepts behind the
code. Perhaps you or someone you know may find this useful.

http://files.swcity.net/aaa_guide.htm

- Comit

just in

Oct 23, 2004, 10:07pm
Nice of you to make another resource, but most of your explanations are
wrong or misleading or have better alternatives.

Your use of "astop" is incorrect and should be removed from all of your
examples. "astop" is generally only useful to stop a running animation
sequence - as in, an "off" switch.

There is no such animation as ".". It causes aw browser errors. Better is
a small named texture like "ac.", which also makes the triggers easier to
find when they're underground. If for some reason you want the triggers
visible and don't want the textured, you can assign the animate to a
non-existant tag.

If the sequence is to be triggered in the create stage, you must only have
an "astart" in the create section of the first object in the sequence. A
common error is putting astart in the create of every object.

I put my demo of the full use and explanation of astart astop adone in
AWSchool at 25N 40W 180

I rewrote your examples as follows:

------------------ manual start --------------------
rock1.rwx - create name targ1

wavspk.rwx - create name trig1, animate me ac. 1 1 0; adone move 10
name=targ1, astart trig2
wavspk.rwx - create name trig2, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move 0 0 110
name=targ1, astart trig3
wavspk.rwx - create name trig3, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move -10
name=targ1

button_g.rwx - activate astart trig1

---------------- auto start ---------------------------
rock1.rwx - create name targ1

wavspk.rwx - create name trig1, animate me ac. 1 1 1000, astart; adone move
10 name=targ1, astart trig2
wavspk.rwx - create name trig2, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move 0 0 110
name=targ1, astart trig3
wavspk.rwx - create name trig3, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move -10
name=targ1, astart trig1

---------------- manual stop ------------------------
button_r.rwx - activate astop targ1

Regards, Justin

[View Quote]

c p

Oct 24, 2004, 12:01am
thanks a bunch :)
[View Quote]

sw comit

Oct 24, 2004, 1:03am
Ah your right, astop is the default command. I overlooked that, thanks for
pointing that out.

As for using "."...*shrug* I guess browser errors should be avoided, though
I and others have been using it without problem for years now. Saves text
space at least.

I'm not sure what you mean with the quote below because I listed that
example in Method 2. Method 1 is slightly simplified though, as it doesn't
require gears starting the next one in the sequence, since it fully relies
on the delay.

Aside from using unneeded "astops", I think saying it was wrong and
misleading was a bit exaggerated :P

> If the sequence is to be triggered in the create stage, you must only have
> an "astart" in the create section of the first object in the sequence. A
> common error is putting astart in the create of every object.
>
> I put my demo of the full use and explanation of astart astop adone in
> AWSchool at 25N 40W 180
>
> I rewrote your examples as follows:
>
> ------------------ manual start --------------------
> rock1.rwx - create name targ1
>
> wavspk.rwx - create name trig1, animate me ac. 1 1 0; adone move 10
> name=targ1, astart trig2
> wavspk.rwx - create name trig2, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move 0 0
> 110 name=targ1, astart trig3
> wavspk.rwx - create name trig3, animate me ac. 1 1 1000; adone move -10
> name=targ1
>
> button_g.rwx - activate astart trig1

sw comit

Oct 24, 2004, 1:12am
I've reuploaded the guide with the corrections for astop, thanks again.

[View Quote]

just in

Oct 24, 2004, 2:31am
The "." causes "Warning: unable to download
objects.activeworlds.com/aw/textures/.jpg (file not found)". Technically
then its not an error - its just annoying.

When I first looked I didn't read all of your tutorial, and missed the
desired goal of moving to one location, then from there to the next, and
then on to a third. Thus I was overly critical and sorry about that.

Apart from the "." thing, its all good now :o)

Regards, Justin

[View Quote]

ciena

Oct 24, 2004, 5:41pm
thats is in a lot of worlds. i get that too in many world. its a bug i guess
or something
[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Oct 26, 2004, 12:07am
it's been going on since 3.4, as was stated you can get around it by using
an actual jpeg texture like 0.jpg or black.jpg or whatever.jpg ... just
don't leave it a . after animate me ( not: animate me . ) it should be
something like animate me black.jpg then you won't get that error!

LNH