Media in cache (Community)

Media in cache // Community

1  |

dzap

Aug 27, 2004, 9:08am
I haven't been in AW for a while, planing on attending Old Timer's Day
later today, so maybe this issue has been discussed before.

Today was the first time a had a chance of seeing the new media function
in action. The new feature is certainly nice but I'm a bit disapointed
that the developers have chosen not to follow the the normal way AW uses
it's cache.

So far you knew that all media files, graphics and sound, ended up in
the cache and you could govern the way AW handels the cache with options
for maximum cache size and maximum size of media files. Now this is
broken and content is instead placed in Temporary Internet Files without
restriction. This also means that emptying the cache doesn't remove all
media, you have to use Internet Explorer to remove everything. I tested
this btw and after deleting the AW cache video was played from the
allready dowloaded file in Temporary Internet Files.

I fail to see the logical difference between the types of media and very
much dislike this new behaviour.

This doesn't mean that the Ice_Man video at AW gz doesn't rock. It does!
:-)

Jonas aka dZap

lightwave

Aug 27, 2004, 4:28pm
i did a search for medafiles and could not find them?
i dont thing they are saving on my PC
and i thought they are streaming maybe its just some of them?
ive been using .wmv files is it just mpegs that DL?
-LW

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Aug 27, 2004, 6:35pm
I think they're saved in the internet cache folder, but there they are not
saved in the same format they are d/l so looking for .wmv doesn't do
anything for ya. Also the internet cache folder can be one or many within
and it's a bear to find anything in it.

LNH

Control of cache etc is given up entirely to the base API chris used
(Windows Media Core) and it does not actually cache the information as it
streams it... although using the aforementioned core to save local copies
and check for new server versions for static content would be nice.

- MR

[View Quote]

dzap

Aug 28, 2004, 8:47am
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
news:412fe6d6 at server1.Activeworlds.com
> Control of cache etc is given up entirely to the base API chris used
> (Windows Media Core) and it does not actually cache the information
> as it streams it... although using the aforementioned core to save
> local copies and check for new server versions for static content
> would be nice.
>
> - MR

[View Quote] The problem is not all media is streamed. The Ice_Man.wmv from AW gz was
not and the 23MB file ended up in my Internet cache. Internet Explorer
do save the files in their original format and I was able to search for
the file and later copied it to another location.

The file is a 80 minutes download for modem users...

Jons aka dZap

lady nighthawk

Aug 28, 2004, 3:42pm
Owie ... that's huge for dialup LOL. Anyway I did find the origin of that
vid, you can also d/l it from the url below but I suggest folks copy it to
your HD and u/l to your op if you can, and not link to it because that may
cause this guy to take it offline. It does rock and he's got a few more
besides!

LNH

lady nighthawk

Aug 28, 2004, 3:45pm
I see that the url for this changes frequently (on the site of origin), I've
done this video in my world at two diff locations so far and both end up
dead links ... if the file wasn't so big I'd keep it on my own op but it's
just to big ... the NASA TV link rocks too but it's also intermittent!

LNH

pc hamster

Aug 30, 2004, 3:53am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] GOOD GRIEF!!!

Not even my 30 MINUTE Batman flick is that big. It's only just over 9 MB.
The bitrate I use is just over the max. range of dialup (64K ISDN) since it
makes almost no sense to stream it at 128K Windows Media because the movie
is so old (as is the audio)..

> The file is a 80 minutes download for modem users...

My Batman movie shouldn't take that long, but near as I can tell, it plays
straight off the server I have it on.

Then too....It doesn't make much practical sense to be on AW if all you have
is a dialup anyways. :-)

Cheers for now :-)

PC Hamster
Mayor - City Of Hamsterville
pchamster at comcast.net
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))
http://hamsterville.tripod.com/
HAMSTERVILLE GROUND ZERO - AW 5029N 500E (NEW COORDINATES!!!)

lightwave

Aug 30, 2004, 4:09am
ive been converting my music videos to .wmv and they are about 1mb
-Lightwave

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Aug 31, 2004, 2:10am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] What's the bitrate?

PC Hamster

lightwave

Aug 31, 2004, 4:13pm
Im using 'Smart Video converter' to change from avi,mpeg,mov to wmv files
the bitrate is 100kbps i didnt like the 56kbps files they lost too much
and most ppl have cable or dsl (or they should hehe) europe is getting
10mbit
connections now :( usa is lagging behind
-Lightwave

[View Quote]

builderz

Sep 2, 2004, 4:46pm
Yes, the U.S. is behind when it comes to broadband speeds.
BroadbandReports.com is a good place to talk about broadband issues.
Verizon is at least running more fiber trials in the U.S., so we will be
seeing 10-15mbps downstream in several years (I know, it is still slower
than in other countries, but it is a start). At least SpeakEasy and some
others are offering 6mbps downstream DSL right now.

One of the reasons I decided to get out of the hosting business is
because of faster broadband speeds. As technology gets easier to use and
speeds increase, a person will be able to either host whatever they want
themselves or find a friend that will do it for them (all for very
little or no money).

Builderz

[View Quote] > Im using 'Smart Video converter' to change from avi,mpeg,mov to wmv files