Need to make a black box... (Community)

Need to make a black box... // Community

1  |

lady nighthawk

Aug 5, 2004, 7:55pm
I need to make a black box that is totally black regardless of the world
lighting ... can anyone advise? I've made the box but whatever is inside
seems to be affected by the daylight of the world not the blackness of the
box? I've even tried to color the box panels black and tried light
color=black ... neither worked. I need a good sized black box that can be
entered into but is completely pitch black inside (unless a light is turned
on or something). Thanks in advance...

LNH

set the ambient to 0, and have the colour as black.

-SWE

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Aug 5, 2004, 9:36pm
Nope didn't work, I altered a pictwllh to the following...

modelbegin
clumpbegin
surface .55 .3 .1
ambient 0
color .0 .0 .0
vertex -.5 1 0 uv 0 0
vertex -.5 0 0 uv 0 1
vertex .5 0 0 uv 1 1
vertex .5 1 0 uv 1 0
vertex -.5 1 0 uv 1 0
vertex -.5 0 0 uv 1 1
vertex .5 0 0 uv 0 1
vertex .5 1 0 uv 0 0
texturemodes foreshorten
quad 1 2 3 4 tag 200
quad 8 7 6 5 tag 200
clumpend
modelend

Whatz wrong with it? And no, I don't have a real box handy, not that I'm
sure a real box would matter over panels making a box?

LNH

hmm, been awhile since i played with the colour setting lol, can't remember
what surface is for, but i think you would need to put one of them at 0,
which ever is for difuse, hell, just put em all at 0! might help lol.

-SWE

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 6, 2004, 12:13am
Lose the "surface" command altogether and the box won't reflect light at all. http://tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#surface for more info. Also see http://tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#default

Note that "black" (dark/negative) lights are no longer possible in AW (haven't been for years, actually) and that any object "inside" the box (not part of the object itself) will still reflect light (assuming it has a surface setting accordingly).

Also, no decimal points are necessary on "0" ("color .0 .0 .0" should just be "color 0 0 0"--or completely removed since that is a default command anyway).

Since I'm on the topic of efficienty, lose the "modelbegin"/"modelend" statements too since the object has no prototypes. http://tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#model for more info.

[View Quote]

paul

Aug 6, 2004, 4:32am
take out the Lit in the Texturemodes command in the rwx or if you are using
Truespace instead of using Phong shading use Flat instead which will cause
no Lit command when you convert the cob to rwx.

Paul

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Aug 6, 2004, 6:27am
I'm just trying to alter an aw pictwllh.rwx so that no light from outside
gets into the box or on anything in the box, so far no suggestions have
gotten me to that goal but thanks all anyway!

LNH

milesteg

Aug 6, 2004, 6:34am
i am afraid you will get no suggestion because it is currently impossible.
lights (world light or local light) are not 'blocked' by objects.

Regards,
MilesTeg

"lady nighthawk" <dmurtagh27 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:4113410d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I'm just trying to alter an aw pictwllh.rwx so that no light from outside
> gets into the box or on anything in the box, so far no suggestions have
> gotten me to that goal but thanks all anyway!
>
> LNH

milesteg

Aug 6, 2004, 7:05am
btw, there are few workarounds but it is a tedious task,
you have to use inside your black box a modified version of your objects.

first workaround:
-you edit all the objects to modify the Diffuse commands so that your
objects are not affected by the directional lights (world or local lights )
and/or modify the Ambiant commands if you want your objects not to be
affected by the world ambiant light . Remember to modify the Surface
commands ( http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw36/rwx_surface.html ) too as
it is a shortcut for the Diffuse and Ambiant commands.
-you manually prelight the vertices (
http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw36/rwx_vertex.html ).

Second workaround:
-you remove the 'Lit' arguments of the Texturemodes commands, like Paul
suggested
- you modify the textures to apply the light directly on them.
unfortunatly this second workaround is useless on most of aw objects. it is
more usefull for 'skinned' objects ( UV only between 0 and 1, no texture
repeats)

Regards,
MilesTeg

"milesteg" <milesteg at nerim.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:4113429c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> i am afraid you will get no suggestion because it is currently impossible.
> lights (world light or local light) are not 'blocked' by objects.
>
> Regards,
> MilesTeg
>

> "lady nighthawk" <dmurtagh27 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news:4113410d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
outside
> world
> inside
of
can

lady nighthawk

Aug 6, 2004, 5:37pm
Yep I've discovered it's useless LOL. The reason I wanted a *dark room* was
to view avs I'm working on anytime of the day but in a dark room so I can
see what they'd look like at night ... even if it's broad daylight. So
changing the objects Ambient / Diffuse or lit would defeat my purpose since
those are what I am testing in my wannabe dark room LOL. So I guess I'll
just have to make a *light room* so if I'm working at night I can see what
they'd look like in the daytime in the box because at least I can add lights
to affect them within the box.

I see another shortcoming is that we can't go past a 90 degree angle. I was
trying to make a motorcycle loop in which you would *ride your bike* within
the inner part of the circle, without bumps ... that turned out to be
defunct :o/ Nor can we walk upside down, etc, LOL Seems aw will not allow us
to defy gravity completely, even if we can fly.

Thanks for your help everyone! Hugzzz

LNH

ooooo, she wanted the objects inside the box blocked?i thought she just
wanted the object itself (the walk) to always be dark, no matter what. my
bad :)

-SWE

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Aug 7, 2004, 2:12am
I guess I should have specified a *vertical circle* ... like a roller
coaster loop where you and the car go around in it *defying gravity* ... I
didn't want to use bumps and even if I did it wouldn't look realistic
because the avs would be right side up because they wouldn't follow the
inside of the loop like a roller coaster does.

LNH

xelag

Aug 7, 2004, 9:46am
On 6 Aug 2004 15:37:59 -0400, "lady nighthawk"
[View Quote] >Yep I've discovered it's useless LOL. The reason I wanted a *dark room* was
>to view avs I'm working on anytime of the day but in a dark room so I can
>see what they'd look like at night ... even if it's broad daylight. So
>changing the objects Ambient / Diffuse or lit would defeat my purpose since
>those are what I am testing in my wannabe dark room LOL. So I guess I'll
>just have to make a *light room* so if I'm working at night I can see what
>they'd look like in the daytime in the box because at least I can add lights
>to affect them within the box.

Lights will shine out through the box, remember that, walls don't
block lights. The best, but not cheapest, solution is to buy a small
world for testing: that would be your box :)

Alex

lady nighthawk

Aug 7, 2004, 10:13am
Even cheaper yet will be to make a *light box* for testing when not in night
mode LOL (instead of visa versa).

LNH

eep

Aug 7, 2004, 12:44pm
Just use RWXViewer (http://tnlc.com/rw/files.html#rwxviewer) and set the lighting to whatever you want. :)

We STILL need a decent RWX viewer...this one's pretty good but still lacks many things, unfortunately. :/

[View Quote]

xelag

Aug 7, 2004, 11:56pm
On 7 Aug 2004 08:13:39 -0400, "lady nighthawk"
[View Quote] >Even cheaper yet will be to make a *light box* for testing when not in night
>mode LOL (instead of visa versa).
>
>LNH

Well, not exactly :)

A "light box" as you call it might help you a little experiment with
the effects of direct lighting - which is related to the diffuse
property of the object (but the world directional lighting still
interferes), but there is no way it will help you experiment with
ambient, as only the world ambient light determines this. The only
way to do this properly is to change the world ambient and directional
light properties. VR is not real world, as AW implements the lights
(8 directional, which includes the world parallel directional light,
i.e. the sun, and leaves 7 others to your choice - and 1 ambient,
which is a world property) there is no way you can isolate a spot in
the world and call it a light box... with its own properties
independent of the world light properties.

There is no such thing as night or day mode as far as a particular
spot in the world is concerned, these are determined by global world
light properties. You can not create a box with different lighting
properties :)

Alex

lady nighthawk

Aug 8, 2004, 1:20pm
Thanks for the info :o}

LNH

xelag

Aug 8, 2004, 6:01pm
You're welcome :)

On 8 Aug 2004 11:20:53 -0400, "lady nighthawk"
[View Quote] >Thanks for the info :o}