Help! (Community)

Help! // Community

1  |

ciena

Jun 9, 2004, 11:26am
a friend deleted her av dat file to load the new avatars but she still sees
the old avatar list. she even deleted all her cashe and still only sees the
old avatar list. she also reinstalled aw and overwrote the old one and
rebooted but still sees the old avatar list. can anyone please help with
this?

milesteg

Jun 9, 2004, 11:51am
Whatever your friend does ,she is downloading the old version of the
avatar.dat file.
This is probably because this old file is cached somewhere between her and
the objectpath webserver.
So i guess her internet connection is set to use her isp proxy.
she can either remove the proxy settings or simply be patient and hope her
isp proxy will update soon.

Regards,
MilesTeg

"ciena" <nikona at comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:40c70ffd$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> a friend deleted her av dat file to load the new avatars but she still
sees
> the old avatar list. she even deleted all her cashe and still only sees
the
> old avatar list. she also reinstalled aw and overwrote the old one and
> rebooted but still sees the old avatar list. can anyone please help with
> this?

ciena

Jun 9, 2004, 1:17pm
She also has ASDL if that makes a difference
[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Jun 9, 2004, 1:37pm
It's possible that she has AW installed to more than one place. Have her
look at the icon she uses to access AW, right click on it and do Properties,
find the *path* that icon uses to access AW. Then go through that same path
on her computer and delete the cache folder associated with the icon. I've
done that several times myself because of all the AW betas for which I
install each to it's own folder. Have her delete all caches for all AWs she
has installed anyway because the other older ones aren't needed and are only
taking up hard drive space. Hope this helps! Hugzzz

LNH

jaguar hahn

Jun 9, 2004, 1:48pm
Thats why I never see any new AVs......

Ive got ADSL.

Jaguar Hahn

[View Quote]

milesteg

Jun 9, 2004, 2:41pm
no, that makes no difference.
a proxy can be used on any kind of connection.
if you are curious, check this to learn what a proxy is :
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html

It could happen your friend's ISP is automatically using a proxy and
therefore there is nothing she can do except wait until the proxy cache
dumps the old file. what is her ISP?

Ask her to check if a proxy is set in Microsoft Internet Explorer:
On the [Tools] menu, click [Internet options].
Click the [Connections] tab.
Click the [LAN Settings] or [Settings] button, depending on how she connects
to Internet.
See if [Use a proxy server] or [Automatically detect Settings] checkbox is
checked.

Regards,
MilesTeg

"ciena" <nikona at comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:40c72a13$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> She also has ASDL if that makes a difference
[View Quote]

johnf

Jun 9, 2004, 3:34pm
**No** Nobody ever sees any new avs unless it is a scheduled time for av
list update (by World) or they delete their cache.

Unless thats not what you meant

John

[View Quote]

ciena

Jun 9, 2004, 5:48pm
ooooh ya! Thanx LNH I bet thats what it is. I never thought of that.:)
[View Quote]

tonycat

Jun 9, 2004, 8:06pm
I've found the most common cause of not seeing updates in avatars is due to
running a local path ... check options / settings / advanced and make sure
the local path area is blank ... if not, it reads those files from your
local hard drive before checking the web object path ... an old version
there will negate any changes made to the corresponding file in the web path

tonycat

[View Quote]

ciena

Jun 9, 2004, 8:33pm
thanx guys and gal :) thats what it was she had another aw on her puter and
kept deleting the wrong av dat file in the wrong folder. you guys r waaaay
better than aw tech support :)) and soooo much faster! thanx again and my
friend thanx u too :) you guys rock!