It was a time of War.. Radio Wars.. (Community)

It was a time of War.. Radio Wars.. // Community

1  |

heretik

Jan 28, 2004, 10:15am
Heyy We got 2 Radio Stations!!

This is a great thing, more choice for different tastes/ strokes for
different folks etc;

But lets not let it divide our community up here- or drive people away from
being able to just chill out at GZ for example..

Really I'd say one Radio station is the best solution for AW, but I guess
theres always goin to be dispute on how it should be run, playlists etc,and
these sorts of compromises are just not possible to make sometimes...

So.. how about the Stations playin alternative nights or something? I
dunno, maybe thats not practicle, or people dont want that, but it'd be sad
if it all splits the community in two, and if the vying for control of the
airwaves gets any worse- it will do that.

Man!! I had people gramming me to sing along cause they didnt want to upset
Station owners/DJs/AW people the other night!!!

I dig both stations- SF has put in a lotta hard work and time into his
station as have OnesSummer and Veger who have been stackin in the hours to
provide us all with something to sing along with... but thats where the fun
is begining to end now... people are usure of who to sing along with and
dont want to get caught up in siding and upsettin folks...

All the DJ's - Veg, SF, OneSummer, RaShaL, Jeranu, Phazar etc etc- the whole
crew - All do a great job... the easy answer is one station... But if thats
not gonna happen theres got to be some compromise- people are already
feeling like they are being driven away from GZ...

We need to Keep AW Rockin!!!! :)

Cheers

The Heretik

brock

Jan 28, 2004, 12:27pm
Pretty soon Radio will be just like TV. Everyone has a station ;) And
personally the people at the helm of both of these radio stations shouldnt
be running one at all.

--

Brock,

IceFlare Network
Founder/Administrator

http://www.iceflare.com/
http://www.iceflare.net/

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jan 28, 2004, 1:02pm
I agree with brock.

I've had a radio station for a long time... I just don't spam it in AW... I
also know plenty of people that have their own stations. It doesn't take a
rocket scientist to set up and run Shoutcast and Winamp...

"brock" <BrockL at iceflare.net> wrote in
news:4017c6d8$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Pretty soon Radio will be just like TV. Everyone has a station ;) And
> personally the people at the helm of both of these radio stations
> shouldnt be running one at all.

That's quite true. There's quite a few odd "TV" streams for WinAmp5 now,
after Nullsoft introduced the new ShoutCast-integrated NSV codec.

KAH

heretik

Jan 28, 2004, 4:47pm
I am interested in how many other stations are out there- this is a vast
place and Ive only ever heard of several- but there do seem to be issues
here with being able to chill out at GZ and a divide growing which is pretty
silly when you think about it and detrimental to the community which it is
meant to be there for- and as discussed earlier the spamming thing is a
major annoyance especially with the added competition element- Maybe we
should all start up our own radio stations and just spam each other at GZ,
kinda a popularity contest sort of thing? Have a prize each week... Lol -
just sad that the responsibilty of a station for a general public area has
become fractured like this, its hardly a good advertisement to a prespective
Citizen..

Thanks to your responses to my post so far :)

[View Quote]

ihnk

Jan 28, 2004, 7:03pm
whoever is the one spamming in every world is the one that needs to go. im
not sure which it is but im sick and tired of them spamming

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Jan 28, 2004, 8:34pm
there is not many stations that is running 24/7 or at least every day,
most stations run by people are only on when they feel like it, like
mine. so actually the main ones are the one on every day, which is like
awradio.

naa, competition is the largest driving force for new developements. without
competition, the stations will get lazy, and go shit. plus, diffrent
stations will probably have diffrent types of music, for diffrent people,
like in real life, if you dont like whats on one station, move to the next.
having only 1 will be totally stupid in my opinion.

-SWE

[View Quote]

heretik

Jan 30, 2004, 12:56am
Fair play, yeh as I said earlier its good to have choice, but when it
becomes detrimental and starts to fracture a community surely the issue
should be dealt with and addressed?
- I agree without competition there is no need to better or make advances
and can be a good thing, but it is spamming with ads along with an almost
forceful "hard sell" approach which is starting to take its toll on the
community..
People want to relax and chill out at GZ or the Gate, and this issue has
been raised by many in my experienced from talking to people in AW.
The fact remains that it does not seem to be a healthy competition at
present - though I do agree it could be a helpful element in development of
service aspect. But it is not as simple as just moving on to a different
station unfourtuantly- now it has become the focal point at places like GZ
and is thus dividing the community....
So one official station would act as a draw string to hold things together
properly; Or maybe perhaps there should be a an official governing body that
would cover all stations amd would have regulations in place so a
proffesional manner is kept- and we will not have this "our staion is better
than the other stations who are trying to immatate us" nonsense- which is
sad and pathetic. This also underlines that the element of competition is
not healthy and not developing or there for the good of the community at
large- which is why people come to AW, AW GZ/The Gate etc in general- as
there is a good sense of community... This isnt a place I need to see
advertising or competition in such a manic way... I come here to relax and
have a good chat as most people do. Personally I listen to different things
when I am in AW, CD's and then which ever station I feel like at the time..
but it is distracting when people are split into two competitive camps...and
this is why people are not feeling like being at GZ....
Cheers- good point.. :)

The Heretik.
[View Quote]

rossyboy

Jan 30, 2004, 5:49pm
Also a lot of stations only play music and recorded DJs... AWRadio and
AWVR have live DJs so you can be informed of events as they happen.

[View Quote] > there is not many stations that is running 24/7 or at least every day,