WARNING TO EVERYONE, READ!! (CROSSPOSTED) (Community)

WARNING TO EVERYONE, READ!! (CROSSPOSTED) // Community

1  |

ep0ch

Dec 13, 2003, 6:23pm
There is currently a trojan going around, a supposed "Terrain bot" that is
from terbot.0catch.com. I was infected with it and the little #$%^& used my
acct and ftp server to distrobute another version of it called VWTViewer. If
you see eather one DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM. VWTViewer i have deleted and have
changed all of my passwords, but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES download
these. They are a real #$%^& to remove.

-Ep0ch

leaf

Dec 13, 2003, 7:57pm
Its alway nice to see the word "matt" linked to this site enclosed in the
source code, then again it could really be just some guy called matt not the
"Terrorist" M a t t as he calls himself.

- Leaf

[View Quote]

andras

Dec 13, 2003, 8:31pm
[View Quote] > There is currently a trojan going around, a supposed "Terrain bot" that is
> from terbot.0catch.com. I was infected with it and the little #$%^& used my
> acct and ftp server to distrobute another version of it called VWTViewer. If
> you see eather one DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM. VWTViewer i have deleted and have
> changed all of my passwords, but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES download
> these. They are a real #$%^& to remove.
>
> -Ep0ch

Never EVER run a program which is not from a trusted source! If there is a new program out, it is either from someone you trust, or wait till you see reports about it.
The terbot.0catch.com site was mentioned only in my ng (best of my knowledge) where you'd see an immediate response from several ppl that it is a backdoor trojan.
The webpage explicitly explains it is not the original program from the author (which indeed was a nice bot!) but an upload by a script kiddie.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

rossyboy

Dec 13, 2003, 9:13pm
Andras, as I learned once, trust can be misplaced, especially on the
net. Don't download anything unless EVERYONE COLLECTIVELY trusts it
(like everyone trusts XelaG for example)

[View Quote]

xelag

Dec 13, 2003, 11:20pm
Thanks for the trust :)

The problem is circular, though. Trust must be built up. To trust
someone, somebody (many somebodies) must have downloaded and used
his/her programs for a while without trusting him/her, and gained
trust by using them.

This poses a big problem for honest begining programmers, who are not
yet trusted. I don't know how this dilemma can be solved.

Alex

[View Quote] >Andras, as I learned once, trust can be misplaced, especially on the
>net. Don't download anything unless EVERYONE COLLECTIVELY trusts it
>(like everyone trusts XelaG for example)

zeofatex

Dec 14, 2003, 12:26am
Secretly when our computer are idle the xelagots collaborate to create one
super xelagot that will soon take over Active Worlds.

[View Quote]

ep0ch

Dec 14, 2003, 12:52am
LOL

[View Quote] [View Quote]

xelag

Dec 14, 2003, 1:10am
:)~~~~ *

On 13 Dec 2003 21:26:54 -0500, "zeofatex" <gzanone at optonline.net>
[View Quote] >Secretly when our computer are idle the xelagots collaborate to create one
>super xelagot that will soon take over Active Worlds.

ry

Dec 14, 2003, 1:57am
Thanks for the warning ep0ch

--

Ry
Citizen#: 323710

alphabit phalpha

Dec 14, 2003, 2:27am
I know!
Have a well trusted techy type person, volunteer to be a tester for all
programs then have a sight where tried and true and trusted plugins can be
downloaded from....of course with a note of who made what so creators get
credit:)

[View Quote]

baron

Dec 14, 2003, 2:43am
In article <3fdbe697$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, alphabit at swbell.net says...
> I know!
> Have a well trusted techy type person, volunteer to be a tester for all
> programs then have a sight where tried and true and trusted plugins can be
> downloaded from....of course with a note of who made what so creators get
> credit:)

Sorry, a "techy" person can catch many or even most of the lame kidiot attempts
but cannot catch everything hence cannot guarantee an executable is safe even
if they claim to; sure is a start but you still need to trust the source, so
back to square 1.

--
../B

just in

Dec 14, 2003, 4:08am
Having a registered cit, posting to the newsgroups is one form of
validation. Its illegal to create and distribute virus trojans etc. You
can place your trust in that person knowing that if they do something
illegal AWI can report that users details to police. There is also a degree
of being well known in AW. I newbie bot programmer is likely to have been
around AW for a while before getting into the SDK.

~ Justin

"andras" <andras at andras.net> wrote in
news:3fdb9338 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Never EVER run a program which is not from a trusted source! If there
> is a new program out, it is either from someone you trust, or wait
> till you see reports about it. The terbot.0catch.com site was
> mentioned only in my ng (best of my knowledge) where you'd see an
> immediate response from several ppl that it is a backdoor trojan. The
> webpage explicitly explains it is not the original program from the
> author (which indeed was a nice bot!) but an upload by a script
> kiddie.

In this case matt or whoever wised up a little and actually stole someone
else's bot. I can guarantee that the original bot did not come with any
form of trojans. He did leave a clue on the site (which I nearly overlooked
at first glance, why I vouched for the safeness of this program at first),
stating it was an "unofficial" site for the bot and that it wasn't his. My
advice: if you see something like that on free sites, forget about
downloading it.

KAH

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Dec 14, 2003, 3:47pm
[View Quote] The best/easiest way I can think of at the moment is to release the
source-code for compile by others. Some people are worried about their
code though, once released they really have no say over what gets done
with it. :-\

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideajuice.

Well... I agree with you, however there are lots of lil checks that you can
do... for example the code in that bot was absolutly scrambled... as Sleepy
E has said elsewhere, normal code has common things in it, like 'this
program cannot be run in DOS'... and erm.. If i remember correctly it said
that 3 or more times in the virus executable...

- MR