object path passwords cracked (Community)

object path passwords cracked // Community

1  2  |

imagine

Nov 29, 2003, 5:37am
I got that email too. In fact I got 4 copies of it.

I am on dial up and I have way to many objects to download, so I won't be
able to change my password. I think AW needs to work on a way to repassword
your objects all at once while on your object path.

I don't think changeing the passwords at this point is worth it. If this
person can get the passwords now, he can get them after they are changed.

Imagine

Never believe things about 'people' in these emails... only hard fact

- MR

Although... Bill must be pretty pissed off at it all... or something else is
afoot...

I didnt see the standard support sig:

Please include previous email dialog in all replies..
Thank you
Bill Hoover
Activeworlds Inc.
Chat, build and live online in 3D.
http://www.activeworlds.com

or his personal (less irritatingly long) sig:

Bill Hoover
Activeworlds Inc.

- MR

Cauuseee... You and John both used the AWProxy mainly :O John admits a lot
when you can read which files are on his computer...

- MR

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Nov 29, 2003, 10:27am
I notice one or two on this list that changed names about 6 months ago, so
the list was constructed 6 months ago, so waste of time changing pw's as
proberly most of that was wanted has already been removed to a pirated
Universe.

With it seems the object password has been a subject of interested more that
this time it really seems pointless providing that facility to protect them
until its removed from the client or a better system is created. But then
why spend money on something that only effect "private" worlds as most of AW
objects are free to use! You might as well leave your object password on a
web page.

[View Quote]

andras

Nov 29, 2003, 12:18pm
[View Quote] > I got that email too. In fact I got 4 copies of it.

> I am on dial up and I have way to many objects to download, so I won't be
> able to change my password. I think AW needs to work on a way to repassword
> your objects all at once while on your object path.

I really wonder how can AWI repassword your objects on an independent HTTP server?
When the sh*t first hit the fan, I modified my multizip tool <http://www.andras.net/tools.html#multizip> to repassword the objects. I just added an additional feature to repassword only the already-protected files (thanks to XelaG for the idea and the testing).
It can do the repasswording all at once but only YOU have the way to access your OP host :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

xelag

Nov 29, 2003, 1:04pm
Some are new, some are old.

On 29 Nov 2003 07:27:55 -0500, "wizard myrddin" <admin at rdescape.co.uk>
[View Quote] >I notice one or two on this list that changed names about 6 months ago, so
>the list was constructed 6 months ago, so waste of time changing pw's as
>proberly most of that was wanted has already been removed to a pirated
>Universe.
>
>With it seems the object password has been a subject of interested more that
>this time it really seems pointless providing that facility to protect them
>until its removed from the client or a better system is created. But then
>why spend money on something that only effect "private" worlds as most of AW
>objects are free to use! You might as well leave your object password on a
>web page.

ya, emm, someone send me it aswell, cuz, emm, ya, same reason as tag, my
worlds, thats it :)

-SWE

well, maybe if she has like a dedicated host (sure some people do), cant
they just upload your program to the server, and do it like weekly or
something?
though i really dont get what the big deal about it is anyway (unless your
planning to sell that is). most of you use pirated software to make the
objects and textures anyway! and if you bought your modeling software, you
probably have something else on your pc which is pirated. so, now most of
ya'll know how it feels like :)

and secondly, since everyone seem against it, i doubt many people will
actually steal your objects anyway.

-SWE

"mod" <mod at darkbirdie.com> wrote in
news:3fc7f076$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why the hell do you keep mentioning my name? You got your information
> wrong man, I don't even come on
> AW anymore. As for making a list and being slow, obviously I must be,
> because I haven't even made one... Wow Strike you need to learn to let
> me be in peace and not blame me for every little thing you can think
> of. Although I have already gone away, you can go get a life for all
> that I care :)

Maybe because you did this earlier this year? Just maybe... Although I
doubt it's you, probably some other loser.

"andras" <andras at andras.net> wrote in
news:3fc8aab9$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I really wonder how can AWI repassword your objects on an independent
> HTTP server? When the sh*t first hit the fan, I modified my multizip
> tool <http://www.andras.net/tools.html#multizip> to repassword the
> objects. I just added an additional feature to repassword only the
> already-protected files (thanks to XelaG for the idea and the
> testing). It can do the repasswording all at once but only YOU have
> the way to access your OP host :)

One could also repassword them on-the-fly using some kind of server-side
script. Would be a big performance hit, though.

KAH

mod

Nov 29, 2003, 1:51pm
I didn't use AWProxy mainly. What you fail to realize that i have had that
since 3.1 and what would make me suddenly go and use it, I don't know, and a
less prominant version was given out freely by others(3.1 only, not the
3.1/3.2 version), and once john got it, I think EVERYONE got it. Mainly what
I am trying to say, although the encryption has been changed the password
encryption has not. So untill it is changed anyone who has a tiny bit of
knowledge and time, can keep making these lists =\ but then again I really
don't think it is going to be a problem, I don't think many people know how
to get the encrypted op pw to decrypt, and since that list is how old I am
almost positive they haven't figured it out.

-M
[View Quote]

mod

Nov 29, 2003, 1:57pm
Well kah I always try to leave the past in the past, and would like to think
that I moved on from that, and also apologized to the world owners. The fact
is once I started making objects I realized how much work people put into
this, and although I was pushed to the breaking point by some *InSaNe*
person to post that list. I really wish it wouldn't have happened. That is
the past though...not now. I really wish that strike would leave me out of
these coversations and debates,especially when I didn't do anything :(
Either way I hope AW takes some time to change their password encryption to
solve these problems :)

-M

A tiny bit... heh...

- MR

[View Quote]

tag sva

Nov 29, 2003, 2:57pm
The big deal for ne is that since my world was opened we have spent well
over $1000 on custom avatars and we dont want them " stolen "

and also there is the countless custom objects i have made for my world
which if i wanted them public domain i would have given them to Count
Dracula with the rest of the objects i donated.

"mod" <mod at darkbirdie.com> wrote in
news:3fc8c200$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Well kah I always try to leave the past in the past, and would like to
> think that I moved on from that, and also apologized to the world
> owners. The fact is once I started making objects I realized how much
> work people put into this, and although I was pushed to the breaking
> point by some *InSaNe* person to post that list. I really wish it
> wouldn't have happened. That is the past though...not now. I really
> wish that strike would leave me out of these coversations and
> debates,especially when I didn't do anything :( Either way I hope AW
> takes some time to change their password encryption to solve these
> problems :)

I'm just saying why some people will think it was you.