Password theft (Community)

Password theft // Community

1  2  |

dion

May 17, 2002, 2:11pm
then dont use so many :-P

My solution is simple: I gradually start running all services like mail,
news, etc myself and if I should happen to forget my password, it takes my
10 seconds to change it, without having dangereous password retrieval
questions that others might answer correctly :-))

"anduin" <anduin at NOSPAM.centercom.com.au> wrote in
news:3ce43f36 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hey,
>

> Well, I have 2 other PC's connected to this one. But I also have
> Windows XP and had two installations of ActiveWorlds 3.2 with seperate
> cache's, contacts, aworld.ini and everything. Windows XP allows you to
> do such if you know how without making both programs screw up ;)
>
> That may explain though, why the aworld.ini file worked?
> I guess it just doesn't work on seperate computers and hard drives eh?
> Good enough :)

2 installations? not hard, you just can't run both (unless you know some
neat tricks, and I don't mean using a HEX editor) at the same time. I
have 3 installations of AW (2.2, 3.1 and 3.2, soon 3.3 hopefully)
configured for entering AW, and I have installations configured for other
unis floating around too. And yes, if they're on the same HD it'll work,
but not if you move it to another HD.

KAH

johnny b

May 17, 2002, 8:11pm
sure ya can run two browsers :O) try this.... works for me...

make "shortcuts" to the two browsers on your quick launch bar at the bottom
of the screen, right next to each other, then just click em both, one right
after another... do it FAST, and they will both open.... seems it takes a
second for the window type to register and your puter doesnt have time to
disallow the second browser :O) Of coure, you'd hafta be on two diff cits
if both were AW browsers, Havent tried that yet tho....

I use this to be in two uni's all the time..... tho it IS a bit of a hog on
resources, it works none the less.... :O)

JB

anduin

May 17, 2002, 9:25pm
Hi,

My ISP hosts my mail and domain (anduin-lothario.com), what he does to
protect me is basically oinly allow people connected to the ISP to access
the e-mail. So if someone does happen to guess a password, they would have
to be connected to that ISP. The only downfall with this technique, is if
I'm somewhere else around the world, which I soon will be as I am moving, I
would not be able to access the mail server. Hopefully he fixed that feature
for my mail, so that I can access it upstate.

--
Anduin
Citizen 317281

[View Quote]

joeman

May 19, 2002, 2:48pm
The only problem is, some users use modems to connect to AW, so NIC serials
are out of the question. :)

-Joe