Question (May Belong In Diff NG) (Community)

Question (May Belong In Diff NG) // Community

1  |

lanezeri

Jul 25, 2001, 7:40pm
I have a Q: for people who would like to answer it.. I'm not sure what NG
it should be in.. maybe SDK or Bots.. but who knows..

Q1: What is the diff between Programming languages and Scripting languages?

Q2:

VB, C++, Delphi.. them are Programming languages, correct?

HTML, Java, and RWX are Scripting languages, right?

Purpose for this post:
I was in AD&DRPG with a friend and I said the bot sucked because of how it
repeated "[DM Guard]: has been ejected for 10 minutes (Flooding)" over and
over.. and someone said VB was to blame for it, so I said it wasn't the
language it was the bad programming and then he said something about how I
wasn't a good programmer since he hasn't heard of me.. big argument.. seems
he knew didn't know many people I mentioned.. anyhow.. he tried to tell me
RWX was a programming language.. I'm not a genius but doesn't the word
"program" mean something in the word Programming meaning it is not a
programming language since it isn't a program.. it would be a scripting
language correct? Sorry for the useless post..

andras

Jul 25, 2001, 8:17pm
[View Quote] In a nutshell:
Programming languages has a "compiler" on the developers machine which translates the high level commands into machine language (bunch of numbers sort of) and the program runs from this machine language form on the target machine all the time.
Scripting languages has a program on the target machine which interprets the high level commands at runtime every time and never translates it to machine language.

HTH,
Andras

well program is when u make the accule program,scripting is when u script
something for a program,like vb ull be making programs,HTML ull be scripting
for IE or netscape or whatever
[View Quote]

gamer

Jul 26, 2001, 5:48am
Andras is right, whoever this guy was, I wouldnt value his opinions if I
were you, he cant even tel lthe difference between scripting and
programming. I'm sure you knew before but were just makin' sure. :)

-Gamer

[View Quote]

icey

Jul 26, 2001, 2:31pm
No one is replying to your questions! I am not a programmer but maybe I can
help you a little, a programming language is meant to compile a program, a
scripting language isn't to make a program but to say what to do to a program,
VB, C++, Delphi and Java are programming languages; JavaScript and RWX are
scripting languages; HTML is a sort of language made of tags to talk to the
browser
I hope it's correct
icey
[View Quote] > I have a Q: for people who would like to answer it.. I'm not sure what NG
> it should be in.. maybe SDK or Bots.. but who knows..
>
> Q1: What is the diff between Programming languages and Scripting languages?
>
> Q2:
>
> VB, C++, Delphi.. them are Programming languages, correct?
>
> HTML, Java, and RWX are Scripting languages, right?
>
> Purpose for this post:
> I was in AD&DRPG with a friend and I said the bot sucked because of how it
> repeated "[DM Guard]: has been ejected for 10 minutes (Flooding)" over and
> over.. and someone said VB was to blame for it, so I said it wasn't the
> language it was the bad programming and then he said something about how I
> wasn't a good programmer since he hasn't heard of me.. big argument.. seems
> he knew didn't know many people I mentioned.. anyhow.. he tried to tell me
> RWX was a programming language.. I'm not a genius but doesn't the word
> "program" mean something in the word Programming meaning it is not a
> programming language since it isn't a program.. it would be a scripting
> language correct? Sorry for the useless post..

faber

Jul 26, 2001, 4:18pm
"Programming Language" is a generic term that includes all languages that enable you
to write down a set of instructions to execute. This includes C++, VB, Delphi, Java, JavaScript,
VBScript, Perl, Cobol, SmallTalk, Assembler, Pascal, ADA, BCPL, i think PHP, C#, etc, etc.

"Scripting Language" is a subset of "Programming Language" which applies to languages
which are directly interpreted from their source form and not transformed into a machine-
readable equivalent prior to execution. This is the case for JavaScript, VBScript, Perl
IN GENERAL. However, there are for example JavaScript compilers around.
Note the original BASIC was a scripting language, while these days its not.

"Descriptive Languages" are languages that only contain data. They need a program that derives
a description, a meaning from it, and they do not contain executable code.
HTML, PostScript, Tex, XML and RWX are examples of that kind of language.

Those are general rules, of course, and reality usually does not distuingish as clearly. HTML is
known to be able to carry around code as well in form of JavaScript or VBScript. And i think
Postscript is capable of containing executable code as well.

And even scripting languages could, in theory, have a just-in-time compiler to speed things up, but
that usually only applies to byte-code (or pseudo-code) form, as the case with Java or with all
the managed code languages from .net (which is VB, C# and Managed C++).

Faber

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5f3cb4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I have a Q: for people who would like to answer it.. I'm not sure what NG
> it should be in.. maybe SDK or Bots.. but who knows..
>
> Q1: What is the diff between Programming languages and Scripting languages?
>
> Q2:
>
> VB, C++, Delphi.. them are Programming languages, correct?
>
> HTML, Java, and RWX are Scripting languages, right?
>
> Purpose for this post:
> I was in AD&DRPG with a friend and I said the bot sucked because of how it
> repeated "[DM Guard]: has been ejected for 10 minutes (Flooding)" over and
> over.. and someone said VB was to blame for it, so I said it wasn't the
> language it was the bad programming and then he said something about how I
> wasn't a good programmer since he hasn't heard of me.. big argument.. seems
> he knew didn't know many people I mentioned.. anyhow.. he tried to tell me
> RWX was a programming language.. I'm not a genius but doesn't the word
> "program" mean something in the word Programming meaning it is not a
> programming language since it isn't a program.. it would be a scripting
> language correct? Sorry for the useless post..

icey

Jul 26, 2001, 4:30pm
Faber, why rwx is then called RenderWare Scripting Language by RenderWare itself?
http://developer.renderware.com/rwdoc/rwv21549.htm
icey

[View Quote] > "Programming Language" is a generic term that includes all languages that enable you
> to write down a set of instructions to execute. This includes C++, VB, Delphi, Java, JavaScript,
> VBScript, Perl, Cobol, SmallTalk, Assembler, Pascal, ADA, BCPL, i think PHP, C#, etc, etc.
>
> "Scripting Language" is a subset of "Programming Language" which applies to languages
> which are directly interpreted from their source form and not transformed into a machine-
> readable equivalent prior to execution. This is the case for JavaScript, VBScript, Perl
> IN GENERAL. However, there are for example JavaScript compilers around.
> Note the original BASIC was a scripting language, while these days its not.
>
> "Descriptive Languages" are languages that only contain data. They need a program that derives
> a description, a meaning from it, and they do not contain executable code.
> HTML, PostScript, Tex, XML and RWX are examples of that kind of language.
>
> Those are general rules, of course, and reality usually does not distuingish as clearly. HTML is
> known to be able to carry around code as well in form of JavaScript or VBScript. And i think
> Postscript is capable of containing executable code as well.
>
> And even scripting languages could, in theory, have a just-in-time compiler to speed things up, but
> that usually only applies to byte-code (or pseudo-code) form, as the case with Java or with all
> the managed code languages from .net (which is VB, C# and Managed C++).
>
> Faber
>
> "lanezeri" <Lanezeri at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5f3cb4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

faber

Jul 26, 2001, 9:26pm
Good question. Not all people seem to agree on the definitions i just gave and have always found valid.

In my oppinion RWX is not a scripting language.

Faber

"icey" <icey at altavista.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B606208.693CB14 at altavista.net...
> Faber, why rwx is then called RenderWare Scripting Language by RenderWare itself?
> http://developer.renderware.com/rwdoc/rwv21549.htm
> icey

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking bout :)

SWE(ya i know i replyed to lanzerinies post,and that im saying i didnt
know how to explain it)

oh wait,enerv mind,never read the last bit,there is no wat,HTML or RWX is a
programing language,thats a scripting language since it isnt run by its
self,by buy another program,such as Internet explorer and AW

huh??? it's ok not to check spelling, but I really couldn't understand that
last part... RWX is not a scripting language, that is just some BS that
Criterion came up with... RWX is simply a 3D file format. HTML is not a
programming language, it's called Hyper Text Markup Language it was meant to
make text look pretty...

faber

Jul 27, 2001, 1:08pm
If i understand your somewhat odd way to form sentences correcly, you are suggesting that
HTML is a programming language since its run by the web browser and RWX being one since its
run by any RWX capable 3d viewer (AW usually).

Well, in my oppinion HTML and RWX is not "run". Its read, all its data is grabbed and displayed in
a fancy way, but in order to "run" something that something would have to carry instructions which
is not the case for "descriptive languages". Details of that in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Faber

"swe" <m_swehli at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b60e7ae$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> oh wait,enerv mind,never read the last bit,there is no wat,HTML or RWX is a
> programing language,thats a scripting language since it isnt run by its
> self,by buy another program,such as Internet explorer and AW

lol,sorry bout the spelling,write like that when im sleppy,what i ment was
never mind,html and RWX are kinda scripting language,and no way programing
languages,since u script them for another program,and arent stand alone.
Well RWX i ant sure if its a scripting or something else,but HTML is
definatly a scripting language,not programing
[View Quote]

icey

Jul 27, 2001, 2:48pm
Suggestion: You should read all posts about this subject before 'typing'
Tip: RenderWare Scripting Language format used rwx
thanks
icey

[View Quote] > lol,sorry bout the spelling,write like that when im sleppy,what i ment was
> never mind,html and RWX are kinda scripting language,and no way programing
> languages,since u script them for another program,and arent stand alone.
> Well RWX i ant sure if its a scripting or something else,but HTML is
> definatly a scripting language,not programing

What about languages that you can interpret or compile,
or that are translated into P-code (precompiled/tokenized)?

Basic, PHP, SQL (SQL seldom compiled but a language),
dBase, Perl, AWK and many more?

I think the word "script" is just used in a different way
now. It used to stand for a collection of commands that
make an application do some things that you could as well
do one after the other, whereas a language could be used
to create a standalone application, either machine coded
or interpreted by a <b>language interpreter</b>.
This interpreter can even be part a complete operating
system like on many home computers or CNC machines.

The way "script" is used now makes "script languages"
be a subset of "programming languages", not something
different.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

RWX is not just data, it is structured and contains some
elements of a language.
It has a data part, yes, like the vertex stuff, polygons and
surface and material definitions, but it has some elements
that do more than just a collection of data does, i.e.
rotate, scale, translate and this weird transform that I
still don't understand completely. OK, that's not much, but
these keywords are really commands, not data definitions.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

commands that define data ;-)) I'll say this about the matter:
languages like HTML and RWX are rather information on what something should
look like, and they're 100% static. a scripting language decides what to do
on a basis of information given to the script, it's dynamic.

Slightly wrong, these are commands that tell the engine how
to modify already given data. And the internal process can
work exactly like that, first the vertexes can be set, later
they can be modified, as each of the RWX script commands
translates 1:1 to a library function.

Look at the prototypes, they can be used unmodified and can
be used again scaled, rotated ... in the same object.

Even HTML has elements like that.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\